Labs in Agility?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
It's likely our next dog (not for many years) will be a lab, and I'm really interested in doing agility. I know labs are not really known for their mad agility skills, but I'm not looking to be crazy competitive either.

For those that are into agility, how common are labs in agility and how do they tend to do? Are most of the labs field type?

Dex

Mine gets by okay, and he is nothing short of enthusiastic about it (see photo below..). I've seen quite a few Labs in agility, mostly the sleeker, legger ones versus the blocker guys (but I've seen a few of those too). And they ALL seem to have lots of fun with it, and to me, that's what it's all about :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There are a few at our school and I see a few at every trial. I saw some at nationals this weekend, though I can't remember how many. Most were smaller labs although I'm not sure the breeding on any of them. Several of my agility friends have labs and I don't know how long a bench type/heavier set lab's career would be. The heavier set type of dogs don't seem to hold up as well (in my very moderate amount of experience based on friends' dogs). My one trainer has a great little lab mix that has placed pretty nice in all the trials I've been to in a very competitive height.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
I would 100% do agility with casey . She would be an amazing sport dog, very fast and agile and I know she would just really really enjoy it. But sadley she has a hip issue. I wouldnt feel comfortable with her making sharp turns or jumping. Its very easy for her to hurt it. I dont even let her run on wet grass :eek:

ETA - She was also bred specifically as a duck dog by a duck hunter, he likes the smaller, more agile dogs . She varies between 45-50 lbs

CaliTerp07

One of the ladies I train with competes with her lab. He's such a good dog (and very successful in USDAA as well). She purchased an absolutely crazy drivey lab puppy from a field breeder a year or two ago, and puppy is starting to attend run throughs and such now. She's had a heck of a time channeling puppy's energy to good instead of evil (she likes to jump up and bite when frustrated), but my trainer seems to think she's going to be incredible.

A woman at my kennel club has one (admittedly built somewhat like a greyhound) that jumps like 32 inches... in pictures he's ABOVE the jump standards.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
A lady up here runs labs and frequently earns placements at national level. They're not bench bred I'm sure of that, smaller leaner and finer boned.

Aleron

I have seen Labs of all sorts do agility over the years. A more moderate show bred Lab kept at a fit weight should be able to do agility, remember that most you see in the ring are overweight. The fastest ones I have seen tend to be leggier pet or field type Labs, although it's probably more a matter of drive than anything.

DJEtzel

There are several byb and mix labs in our agility classes and many go on to trial as well; they do very well at it from what I've seen.

I know and have seen plenty of lab/lab mixes(I mainly see field bred labs and mixes competing haven't really seen many dogs from show lines where we are at least) competing and excelling in agility(one of the trainers where we train competes with her labbies). Abby loves it and though I don't really have many huge expectations for her and am mainly doing it for fun with her; we really enjoy competing and she does well

I've seen some at trials that do really well - mostly from pet or field lines. There's a lovely lab in Cricket's agility class who was a guiding eyes washout, and does very well - however at five years old she has recently been sidelined by arthritis :(

Members online

No members online now.