Indoor splashing

Labyrinth

My four month old catahoula pup started snorkling and splashing in their water dish (in the dining room) a week or two ago.

I got her a pool for outside and she has a blast in it, but how do I make her understand it's okay to splash outside but not inside?

When I catch her at it I clap my hands and say "NO". She usually runs off at that point, but will come back to me as soon as I call her. I very rarely raise my voice at her, so when I do I know it scares her which is not my intent but this has just got to stop. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing, or is there a better way to handle this?

MicksMom

Caleb did the same thing. We pretty much did the same thing you're doing- told him no, but then we got him interested in playing with something else. Being the smart little bugger he is, it didn't take him long to catch on. He's almost 2 now, and absolutely loves to splash (we call it dig) in his pool, but he leaves the water bowl alone.

In addition to what MicksMom said, you might give different names to each activity. You already use the word 'dig' for splashing in the pool. And you might use 'water' or 'drink water' for the water dish. Use that every time Caleb is drinking. If he splashes, just pick the bowl up and don't say anything. Put it down, and say your chosen word/s. The more things you name in your dog's life, the more he'll understand. Hope this helps!

lizzybeth727

Great advice from kidsanddogs.

Also you could just get a smaller water bowl, often this will stop the behavior. You could also possibly put a rock or something in the water bowl, so that he'll still be able to drink around it but can't really paw at it.

Thats at great idea about the smaller water bowl and the rock you can also try picking up the bowl after each use.

Greenie

our new puppy Louie was splashing. I bought a raised water dish and it seems to have stopped him. After 3 weeks, he pretty much leaves it alone.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I use hanging buckets for water in the house. I use the 2 quart buckets, and hang them on the wire crates with a double end snap.

Labyrinth

Thanks all for the suggestions :)

It's been a few days since she's splashed, so I think she's starting to get it. I can't really make any drastic changes to the water dish itself, because all the uncaged animals share it.. Including the cats. They used to have their own water dish with their food, but would only use it to drop kibble in and wash their paws and drank from the dogs water bowl anyways :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.