ok strider or any1

poeluvr

gaddylovesdogs said:
Yep, they're sheep herders. They are very intelligent dogs, but the reason most people think they're the most intelligent breed is because herding dogs respond to commands quickly and listen well. And many times those same people think, say, terriers are stupid because they usually don't respond as quickly, but the reason they don't respond as quickly is they are stubborn and independent.
yea i have a terrier so it would kinda suck if theey were dumb

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
My, my... I didn't realize how bad this thread got! I just answered the question without reading the rest of the thread, lol :eek: ... :D

Chill out everybody, we're all friends.

Richie12345

BigDog2191 said:
My, my... I didn't realize how bad this thread got! I just answered the question without reading the rest of the thread, lol :eek: ... :D

Chill out everybody, we're all friends.
Yeah, took me awhile to realize there was a fight going on. (I'm slow) I don't know why there would be a fight, it's just some pointless question...

bubbatd

Well now... I just got into this and hope it's cooled off !!! We had a fun test at our Retriever club and the dogs were timed as to how long it took them to figure things out. Bubba flunked it....one was to cover the dog with blanket and see how long it took him to get out from under without calling him. Bubba just lay there ( " OK Mamma, you want me covered ? I'll wait" ) Another was to put a doggie cookie under a turned over empty can . He never did. just looked at me (" Mom. I'll get it when you tell me to") So....was he dumb or smart ?

S

stirder

as i admitted earlier the tests are subjective and not entirely accurate. they do give a good example as to finding out how smart your dog is, but still not exact. the main test they use on dogs most often is put a towel over their head, they say the smarter a dog is the faster it removes it. by that logic my jack russels were geniuses, as I was lucky if I could even get the towel over their heads. and also by that logic my golden was retarded since she would just stand/sit there with it covering her head until we took it off, and my gsd's are all in the middle since they remove it quickly, but not instantly. so, that test proves that intelligence tests on dogs are not accurate. the golden would sit there with it covering her head and eys because she thought we WANTED it there. she was trying to please us, I KNOW she wasnt dumb. in fact I would swear that she was smarter than one of the jack russels, who IF you could cover her head she would instantly (almost before you let go) shake it off and then run around the house shaking it like it NEEDED to be killed for insulting her like that. its been proven that human IQ tests are not accurate, they give an idea most of the time, because they mostly test what you know, some of the excersises test your ability to learn, but even those dont factor in the FACT that everyone learns in different ways. or the fact that some kids and teenagers, and even adults, dont really try because they dont care or they are afraid they will score low and be called dumb, or score high and be expected to do better. like cats, tests show they are dumber than dogs because they dont respond (typically) to commands and are not eager to please. I think cats are pretty darn smart...they have convinced us to keep them in our homes, feed them, spoil them, clean up after them, etc and they just lay there and ignore us. think that takes a bit of intelligence.
that said, we ALL have an opinion on what is the smartest dog based on personal experiences, what is the goofiest, dumbest, most athletic, etc. THAT was the original question, what do YOU think is the smartest dog and why? based on your own opinion, even if your opinion is that the tests are totally accurate. we should all be mature enough to give our opinions and accept the fact that everyone else has their own opinion which may or may not agree with ours. that IS NOT a reason to get offended.

poeluvr

pointless?i asked this pointless question! just kidding lol. i was bored i already asked whats the smallest terrier and i was curious what people would say about tthe smartest dog.
EVERYONES DOG IS SMART. there ya go

I walk and train a little west highland white terrier once a week named Lucy. Talk about stubborn!! She won't obey unless there's a treat as a reward and it HAS to be a liver treat. :rolleyes:

Richie12345

bubbatd said:
Well now... I just got into this and hope it's cooled off !!! We had a fun test at our Retriever club and the dogs were timed as to how long it took them to figure things out. Bubba flunked it....one was to cover the dog with blanket and see how long it took him to get out from under without calling him. Bubba just lay there ( " OK Mamma, you want me covered ? I'll wait" ) Another was to put a doggie cookie under a turned over empty can . He never did. just looked at me (" Mom. I'll get it when you tell me to") So....was he dumb or smart ?
I'd say he is very loyal, lol. that's pretty cute, lol

bubbatd said:
We tested our dogs once and timed them. They all came up with pretty good scores, but even if they didn't, so what?? I don't think these tests can really determine how intelligent a dog is. For example, one test was to put a treat under a board and the dog had to get it out. I don't see what is stupid about the dog sitting and waiting for you to get the treat FOR THEM, which many dogs do, because they realise that it's probably easier to wait for their owner to get it than for them to get it themselves.

Richie12345

LEA said:
pointless?i asked this pointless question! just kidding lol. i was bored i already asked whats the smallest terrier and i was curious what people would say about tthe smartest dog.
EVERYONES DOG IS SMART. there ya go
I get why you would say that. I think some people just took it way to seriously

S

stirder

I personally think it was a great question. interesting at the least. I love to hear people opinions. but way too many people took it way too seriously as an insult.
I think the treat under a board test is dumb because a lot of dogs are trained and behaved well enough to know that they dont GET a treat, they have their person GIVE them a treat. at most these IQ tests give a small idea of intelligence, more of an idea of how well behaved the dog is/how much it wants to please its humans.

Richie12345

Yeah, it was a good question, but if we did agree upon which dog was the smartest, it doesn't mean any other dog is dumb. People took it the wrong way, this meant nothing, it was just that Lea got bored and was wondering.

Adrienne

I would think to accuratley test a dogs intelligence that the test would have to be catered to what the breed is used for. For all over versatility I would say the GSD tops the list just because they can be used for so many different purposes compared to most breeds that are designed for one or two tasks.

Adrienne said:
For all over versatility I would say the GSD tops the list just because they can be used for so many different purposes compared to most breeds that are designed for one or two tasks.
I agree...Either Border Collies or GSD's. GSD's are used for a wide range of things eg: police, rescue, defence, protect, herding, a lovable dog and a great companion. These are just a few of their great quality's. But no1 back fire on this because this is my opinon. There are tonnes of smart dogs out there. Every dog is different and useful for different things. People are developing different breeds to acompany different lifestyles. I personally don't like breeding pure dogs to make another breed...> like labradoodles or shichon's. They may be great pets but i don't like purposly breeding those types of dogs. Anyway, thats my opinon and once again, dont backfire on me :)

ST

Richie12345

Sandstone- CreatureTeacher is going to be so proud of you for saying that you don't like purebreds! lol CT's all for mutts!

Members online