Adding a a puppy with a male

Vega

Rottweiler
Hi, just wondering...My girlfriend recently added a female chihuahua puppy (9 weeks old) to her household with a 8 year old male dachshund who has been the "only" dog. He seems very eager to be near her and whines when we don't allow him to get close to her in fear of an attack. He seems to smother her and she growls. Were not sure what are his intentions, we let them interact one time freely for a couple seconds. Were not sure what happen but as a result, she came running to me yepling. His hair is not sticking up or anything, his tail is wagging liky crazy. Were afraid that he might think that she is like a rodent or something so he might attack. What would be the best way for them to begin to get along?

moe

I may be wrong but sounds like your male likes the pup, but obvioulsy introductions should be done carefully, when we first brought home our ***** pup, our male was very excited and a bit heavy handed on meeting her, so I put him on a lead and walked them together so that they got used to each other, I then brought them into the home puppy first then the male, whilst still on lead I let them interact to gether, the puppy ***** at first threw herself onto her back screaming as if she had been hurt, but this is a natural puppy response to an older dog that could possibly hurt them, once I realised that he did in fact like her I then crated her so that his excitedment of her being there dwindled, after a few hours and my male was calm in her company I just opened the door to the crate to allow her to walk about in her own time, my male, having got used to her being there just sniffed her and I told him gentle and kept my eye on them, after a few days they had measured each other up and started to know each others boundaries, after this they got on brilliantly.

Mo

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
Jasmine was the only dog for about a year. Then I adopted Katy and wasn't exactly sure how Jasmine would handle it. I decided to let them meet on neutral ground. My boyfriend went and brought Jasmine to a park that she had never been to, and I brought Katy from the shelter to the park. We all got out of the cars at the same time, and then I told my boyfriend to let them meet. We walked closer to each other, and they did the usual sniff sniff. They started doing the play bow to each other, so I let them play a little bit while they were still on the leash. After about 5 minutes of no problems, I decided to let them off the leash, since this was a fenced in park (very abandoned park too for being a nice day). They just ran around and rolled around together. I had never seen two dogs get along so well. On the way home, they rode in the same car curled up next to each other. They ran into the house together, started playing again, and the first problem occured. I never even thought to get the food off the floor before one or the other wanted some. Well, Katy went to eat out of Jasmine's bowl, and boy did Jasmine let her know that's not her's. I separated them, and then put Jasmin'e bowl back where it always was, and put Katy's on the complete opposite side of the kitchen. This never happened again THANK GOD! Soon they were buddies...

Then the lady down the street offered me Maggie... she was moving into an apartment that didn't allow dogs. Well, I did pretty much the same thing, but since Maggie was just a little puppy, the dogs treated her like a baby. They looked out for her, gave her what they were playing with, they were very good to her, no problems whatsoever.

Hope everything works for you!!

Vega

Rottweiler
www.anarbol.com/tinkerbell_chihuahua.jpg

It is the second day. They have improved vastly, his not being so noisy and anxious to smell her or whatever. We put the baby Chihuahua (Tinker Bell) in one of those little 3 ft puppy fences to be safe. The black & tan dachshund (Hercules) is still a little rough with her sometimes thou...

www.anarbol.com/cordelia_doberman.jpg

However, it was a way different story with my 1 year old Doberman/Shepherd mix female (Cordelia). Cordelia behaved very calm, gentile, and not so eager to smell her or smother her. She has always been a calm dog since the animal shelter. The reason that got my attention to adopt her 2 months ago was because she was very calm (Also she was very cute!). Out of all the dogs of the shelter, she was not barking but sat very quiet in her kennel. She came home with us sick with kennel cough unfortunately for us during that first week. We nurse her quickly back to excellent health. After awhile living with us, we finally heard her barked back at some distant dog. To our surprise she has a real, I mean real deep bark.

Hopefully my girlfriend’s dachshund will become even more gentile with the new addition to his family.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.