I need vibes, please

Brattina88

Just got back from the vet with Mia, and its not the news we were hoping for.
Mia has luxating patellas in both back knees, the right is worse - it is going to require surgery (first estimate is roughly fifteen hundred dollars) to correct. She's currently on meds and an exercise/massage plan to manage her discomfort. :( She has been walking funny and being a little grumpy.
My roommate is really upset, and we are all going to try and pitch in for surgery. I'm going to offer to sell some of my things, go without Internet/cable, etc if need be. We'll see.

Chaz vibes VERY much appreciated!! <3

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
So sorry to hear about this.. Many good vibes being sent ((hugs)) to you and your roomie.. Its very nice of you to help with the costs. Your an angel !

JessLough

Love My Mutt
((((((HUGS))))) and <<<<VIBES>>>> to you and your roommate. Sorry to hear about her and the required surgery :( It is very nice of you to offer to sell your personal things and to go without things to help chip in for the expenses

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
sending good thoughts/vibes out to little Mia--and to your roomate. That is a hefty amount of money to come up with, albeit for an important reason.

joce

What vet did you go to? The vet in lorain across from big lots is great and has a great price tag to go along with it. He did my cousins yorkie and large mix with great results. Always have a couple people look when its a big surgery like this.

Poor pup:(

Good luck!

edit-why is there a big green smiley at the top of my post:confused:

Brattina88

thanks guys :( the only thing worse than Mia's sad face (she is sooo milking it) is seeing my roomie this upset :(
What vet did you go to? The vet in lorain across from big lots is great and has a great price tag to go along with it. He did my cousins yorkie and large mix with great results. Always have a couple people look when its a big surgery like this.
Fox Vet.
I'm deff going to call around (or go in person!) when she has some money saved up, and makes the decision for sure. They'll let us have a payment plan with FV, since we've all been going there for so long, but I'm not sure other vets will allow that since we haven't been 'with' them. :confused:

edit-why is there a big green smiley at the top of my post:confused:
trying to cheer me up ? :p

Doberluv

Oh wow! $1,500!!! I paid $500.00 for Jose` a few years back. He has it in both knees too. And sometimes the surgery doesn't hold forever. The one he had fixed is beginning to slip again. His other knee isn't as bad. But it still slips out sometimes. So far though, they're not causing him too much trouble. He seems to go in bouts.

Did you get a 2nd opinion? On Jose`'s last visit, the vet said that these days, since his surgery, they're being more conservative about doing the surgery if there is any way to get relief without. Are Mia's particularly severe would you say? I guess if it's causing terrible pain, you just have to do it. I'm hoping with some anti-inflammatories and build up of the ligaments and muscles in her legs, maybe that will help hold things together better. I definitely notice that when Jose` is in better shape, they slip less. But when he's having a bad few days, we have to skip the walks. It's strange though...with the first knee before he had surgery, it was causing him pain. Now, even though they both slip now and then, he doesn't appear to be in much, if any pain. I sure hope Mia will get better and not wind up having to have the surgery. Lots of vibes coming your way.

Brattina88

Did you get a 2nd opinion? On Jose`'s last visit, the vet said that these days, since his surgery, they're being more conservative about doing the surgery if there is any way to get relief without. Are Mia's particularly severe would you say? I guess if it's causing terrible pain, you just have to do it. I'm hoping with some anti-inflammatories and build up of the ligaments and muscles in her legs, maybe that will help hold things together better. I definitely notice that when Jose` is in better shape, they slip less. But when he's having a bad few days, we have to skip the walks. It's strange though...with the first knee before he had surgery, it was causing him pain. Now, even though they both slip now and then, he doesn't appear to be in much, if any pain. I sure hope Mia will get better and not wind up having to have the surgery. Lots of vibes coming your way.
She hasn't gotten a second opinion. I'm not sure if she will. 'I took her to the vet today because she's had to work such weird hours lately that she'd have to wait a while before she could get an appt if I didn't take her in for her.
TBH I'm not sure about severety, because Mia's the first dog I've had personal experience with that has it. BUT you can hear them popping All of the time. When she first got Mia the vet noticed it and recomended to keep an eye on them (they were Very mild then), but they've gotten progressivly worse in the past couple of years. They never bothered her before, and they bother her now. She doesn't like to sit sometimes, and sometimes it takes her a minute to stand up when laying down for a while. Not everytime, but theres no pattern or anything.. The vet had me feel it (kind of gross, actually) and they slip both ways - the right leg is much worse.

She's on anti-inflammatories and we may try the hydro-therapy station at a local place (have to call and see how much THAT costs). Very cool. Maddie will be jealous of that!

Doberluv

It does sound like a more severe case than Jose`. His will pop out when I hold him sometimes or manuever him around on my lap, but it doesn't seem to hurt him. He still runs and even jumps up onto the couch, which I would prefer he didn't. He does have a little stair step and all, but you can't very well argue with him on something like that. LOL. So, dang. Poor Mia. Hopefully that hydrotherapy will help build up some muscles. But if the sockets are too shallow, there's nothing much to do but surgery, I guess. Maybe you can shop around for a less expensive vet. I can't understand such a high price. But maybe it's gone up in these past few years since Jose` had it. Or maybe it's just cheaper in Idado. Maybe you can bring her here. LOL. At any rate, it can be made much better by surgery, at least for quite some time...hopefully.

T

tessa_s212

:( :(

We recently had a small-medium dog done at the clinic I work at, and it was right around the 800-1100 price range, if I remember right.

Also, I know we do this, and other clinics might too. We always give a very high estimate. We let them know it COULD be cheaper, but we still give them the high estimate, so that if it does end up costing more (time involved in surgery, recovery, etc), they know what to expect. So... maybe they were giving high end too, and it might not even cost that much?

Pming you!

Brattina88

Also, I know we do this, and other clinics might too. We always give a very high estimate. We let them know it COULD be cheaper, but we still give them the high estimate, so that if it does end up costing more (time involved in surgery, recovery, etc), they know what to expect. So... maybe they were giving high end too, and it might not even cost that much?
Oh, I really hope so!!!
Mia also had a mamory tumor, so when she got spayed & had it removed (and sent to a lab) it went waaay over the estamite. But, the mass was bigger than they originally thought...

*sigh* thanks for the thoughts & vibes everyone!

Thracian

Sorry to hear this. Hope you are able to get the money together quickly! Poor Mia. Sounds like it's pretty painful for her.

Members online