Susan Garrett 2x2 Weaves, and Crate Games...

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I got the Crate Games DVD last night in a gift exchange, and plan on working on it with both Bella and Zoey (Bella loves her crate, Zoey not so much), and I like the looks of it - I watched a little of it today.

We also got a little booklet/preview for her new 2x2 Weave training method, and I'm thinking of re-training Zoey, and training Bella to do their weaves this way... I was just wondering what everyone thinks of it? The new DVD just came out a few days ago, but after Christmas (when I've got all that Christmas Cash I was given), I'm going to try to get a copy (on ebay first, then from her site if I can't get it on ebay)...

Opinions? Has anyone done the Crate Games, or trained 2x2s?

BostonBanker

My trainer is currently re-training her competition dog's weaves using the 2x2, and working on her younger dog with it. Once she gets more of a feel for the program, she promised to help those of us who want to try it with our dogs. I've been impressed with the dogs I've seen who are trained with it, so I'm excited to try!

adojrts

The 2x2x has been around for about 5 yrs, if memory serves me correctly. I am re-training Petie with that method now and really like the results I am getting. Plan on using it in classes for my students and with any future dogs of my own.

I have the Crate games dvd, I haven't specifically used or followed any of it, but have done similiar methods with crates in the past. Having said that I would be surprised if it didn't work, especially for a dog that didn't like a crate. And those kind of games are great for teaching self control.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Cool! I know 2x2s have been around (That's what Zoey was started on, but I didn't really understand them, so I gave up) for a while, but I'm just now grasping an understanding for them. I'm really excited to try them with the girls, and see how well I can get Zoey's entries (they're TERRIBLE right now)! :)

I've never done anything like that (Crate Games) with my dogs. Zoey and Gyp were flew here in a crate, so they were used to them when we got them, and Bella had spent 7 months living in a crate before I got her, so she was used to it, and for some reason loves her crate... *rolls eyes* I wouldn't if I had spent the first 7 months of my life in one.

Anywho, I'm going to start the whole Crate Games thing over Christmas Break (which starts Friday), and we're going to give up on the weave training (Bella's) until I can get that DVD, or some more 2x2 info.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I'd like the revamped 2 DVD set of 2x2 teaching. But the nearly 100 dollar price tag makes me cringe.

Yeah, I thought that was a typo when I first read the price. Yeesh..

Anyone have any links describing what the 2x2 method is? I haven't started weaves yet because I can't decide what method I should use..

adojrts

Yeah, its a 100 bucks, lets break that down.................:D

It less than 6 runs at any AAC trial and how many Q's have been lost once a team has Titled into Advanced or higher because of missed entries or popped poles?? Or in Starters for being over time because you had to put your dog into the poles again?

Some things are just worth the money in the long run in my book and the next free hundred bucks I get will go towards that DVD set :D To bad it I hadn't added to my X-mass list...........dang

MafiaPrincess

Basically it's teaching the dog to make the choice rather than teaching a pattern..

You start out with 2 poles at 3 and 6 o clock you facign them teaching the dog to drive through them from all angles.. Switching it up so the poles are back in the usually 12 and 6 o clock direction and all the angles.. Going back to step one with 2 sets of poles facing you spread apart, and keep building it back up.. Could give actual details, but that gives the idea of it. It's teaching the dog to be able to pick which poles they want to enter between..

I was clueless with Cider, took forever to teach her to weave. We 2x2'd. She actually has pretty nice weaves, but she fails to compress and hit her entry due to going too fast at trials..

I have 4 2x2 bases.. I'm trying to teach Smudge to still do step one. He won't drive through for anything, so we aren't getting anywhere yet really sadly.. I refuse to back slide and try to have him lure, so I'm avoiding weaves in trials till he has nice ones.

adojrts

Yeah, I thought that was a typo when I first read the price. Yeesh..

Anyone have any links describing what the 2x2 method is? I haven't started weaves yet because I can't decide what method I should use..

http://www.clickerdogs.com/2x2_weave_training.htm

here is the link and there a video posted, personally if I had to make that choice, the 2x2 would be it.

When I started retraining Petie's weaves after my lesson with Thersea I was stunned at fast he improved and how much faster he was in the weaves. Especially when I was in a trial only one week after starting the retraining which wasn't very long to fix all those problems.

Kayla

Crate Games is an AWSOME DVD- as for the 2x2's I attended her skills camp two weekends ago and particpants with their dogs ( I was just auiditing) began the 2 x 2 method- I think it's rather brilliant and when I finally start some agility stuff with Duke I will certainly be using it.

Sounds great, thanks for the link adojrts. I like the idea of being able to haul the base around since I don't have a yard of any kind and would need to go practice in parks.

I have 4 2x2 bases.. I'm trying to teach Smudge to still do step one. He won't drive through for anything, so we aren't getting anywhere yet really sadly.. I refuse to back slide and try to have him lure, so I'm avoiding weaves in trials till he has nice ones.
Pit's the same. He doesn't chase things when I throw them unless it's food, but it would take him forever to find treats in the grass after throwing them. Some retriever:rolleyes:

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I'm thinking I might teach Bella the crate games, then just set 2x2's between where she is, and the crate, and maybe teach her to drive through that way, then cut the crate out when she knows what she's to do (drive through)...

MafiaPrincess

Skki, do you have or have heard of a food tube? You put treats in it, you can see them, smell them but not eat them without fingers. I have one, it helped Cider in the beginning when she had less toy drive.. Smudge likes it, but won't speed up because he knows it's coming an he's pretty darn food motivated..

I'm thinking I might teach Bella the crate games, then just set 2x2's between where she is, and the crate, and maybe teach her to drive through that way, then cut the crate out when she knows what she's to do (drive through)...
Neat idea. I guess it's pretty similar to driving towards a target. I wonder if that's compatible with Susan Garretts 2x2 method.. Pit can drive towards a target for sure.

I've never heard of a food tube. Do you throw it like a toy and they chase because there's food in it, or is it something else?

Seems perfect. Pit is pretty much food obsessed, so I could see that working. Thanks for the idea.

MafiaPrincess

No prob. It was great for Cider. She got and will still get revved up for it. So much so, since she knew what would be forthcoming she'd really start to drive through the poles.

Sadly Smudge should know the routine by now and what happens next, but he acts on the dopey side (how long can puppy brain possibly last?) and no matter what's in the tube he moves at snail speed till it's thrown.. Since I need him to make the choice and commit first, he approaches the poles slow, chooses correctly, I throw, and finally then he runs off after the goodies.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Neat idea. I guess it's pretty similar to driving towards a target. I wonder if that's compatible with Susan Garretts 2x2 method.. Pit can drive towards a target for sure.

I've never heard of a food tube. Do you throw it like a toy and they chase because there's food in it, or is it something else?

I've seen people train 2x2's with the newer method, and they used targets... But they tried to only keep them there for a short time...

As for the food tube, you can find them at homedepot, or Canadian Tire, or any hardwere store. They're for holding/sorting nails and screws, I think... Much cheaper! (Like MP already said! :p)

I'm looking forward to trying this, but most of my training will have to be done in the horse barn, or in the house... It's too snowy out side to do them there!

adojrts

You can also make your own food tube, use a small clear water bottle and poke a small hole in it. Let your dog see you put the goodies in the bottle and when you give them a reward from it, pour the reward from the bottle into your hand letting the dog take it from the mouth of the bottle.
I really like the bottle, if a dog tries to take off with it, the bottle is easy to put a light string on it, therefore reeling in the bottle and the dog (helps with tugging too lol).

Good luck.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
You can also make your own food tube, use a small clear water bottle and poke a small hole in it. Let your dog see you put the goodies in the bottle and when you give them a reward from it, pour the reward from the bottle into your hand letting the dog take it from the mouth of the bottle.
I really like the bottle, if a dog tries to take off with it, the bottle is easy to put a light string on it, therefore reeling in the bottle and the dog (helps with tugging too lol).

Good luck.
Zoey likes bottles without anything in them! That was one of the first toys she'd play with. A bottle with a little bit of water in it, so it's got some weight to help with throwing. :p

Members online

No members online now.