Now or Later?

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Apologies in advance cause I know this general subject has been raised a time or two but I'm so confused. When we got Misha we asked the vet about neutering and she said she recommends waiting until a couple of months after her first heat, 'better for growth and temperament.' However I've read on countless websites 'just get it done ASAP', in fact I've just been reading one which says a ***** on heat can chew down doors to get to males outside. Given that dogs over here are let out to walk themselves I've got this image of a sea of male dogs outside and me flattened on the steps as Misha pushes me out the way with a 'coming through' look.....That said, I don't want to stunt her growth and the vet obviously knows more than me.........also we've found out Misha is actually at least 2 months older than we thought, so her heat could be any day or maybe she had if before we got her......how would i know??????????........eek!!.......okay I'll shut up - I'm confusing myself writing this - sorry...... :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
sounds like a great way to get a dog pregnant to me.....mary had a litter before she "old enough" to be coming into season. My other dogs done asap grew up just fine to be healthy happy women.

NewYorker

Lhasa Lover
I think your vet is wrong and I'd get another vet, my vet had told me to wait til my pup was 10 months to get him neutered and he's wrong too, the sooner the better is what I've now learned..

Hi there , yes i was told to get my dogs (tasha) a lab done at like 3- 6 mths and had her doen and she is very happy but she is a lab and did put weight on after the op ? but she heeled so well and the only thing that bothered her and me ha ha was that lamp shade they made her wear it was way to big ! so ask ur vet to make it as neat as poss for the poor thing

Labs can gain weight easily no matter what. They're known for their ability to put on weight quickly. Spaying and neutering doesn't make them gain weight.

Smkie's right. That whole "do it after the first heat" thing is an old wives' tale, and your vet should know better. I'd go shopping for a vet who relied a little more heavilly on science and a little less heavily on rumor.

poodlesmom

I have always had ours spayed/neutered around 6 mos & have never had any problems from having it done then. They have never put weight on due to it or had any negative personality or health changes.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks everyone! I'm seeing the vet anyway on Monday for her rabies jab so I'm i'm just going to tell her that I want it done ASAP. Unfortunately there are not a lot of English speaking vets here so I'll have to stick with them until I research another. Still, at least I will make sure I question everything they suggest............thanks again!

bonster

Disappointed :(
Hey Martine - I know of a great vet - a little way (Garrucha, near Mojacar) so a bit of a drive but I still use him myself even though I'm now 2 hours away!! PM me if you want the info.... He did Bonnie's op, speaks English, has an English bi-lingual nurse and is recommended by the local charity... Well worth the drive in my opinion if you can do it!

Members online

No members online now.