GSD 1936 Germany Video

Doberluv

What fun. They were so much better looking, stronger looking dogs than so many today. I like the lesser angulation. There were even some Dobes in there. Thanks for sharing.

DanL

I saw a lot of bad bites in those clips. Bites near the hand, coming off and rebiting- none of that is good and would be major points off in scoring.

I enjoyed the jumping clips though, the wall vs the A frame and higher hurdles than used today. A lot of real nice looking dogs too, there was one big black one in the 1st vid that was very well put together.

Doberluv, you can find GSDs that are built like that nowadays, you just have to look for them. The people who care more about temperament and working ability and less about how they look will often produce dogs that are less angulated and smaller than the ones people are used to seeing.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Doberluv, you can find GSDs that are built like that nowadays, you just have to look for them. The people who care more about temperament and working ability and less about how they look will often produce dogs that are less angulated and smaller than the ones people are used to seeing.
We were discussing this in chat last night.
I'm asked frequently if Lacey is purebred because she is not very big. She's within standard but at the bottom of it. She's 24 inches at the shoulder and 65 lbs. She is purebred, I have a 10+ generation pedigree on her (well beyond 10, can track her all the way back to Horand of course)
She's also not very angulated in the rear at all, and is rather normal looking, no twist when she walks, not down on the hocks, etc. The working folks I know think she's nice in structure, the show people don't. There's as big of a gap between WL and SL GSD's as night and day sometimes.

I agree, it's neat to see this for nostalgic reasons, but overall i get to work with better everytime we train. My 10 year old can clear a meter jump with ease and runs up the a-frame for fun. Those well built dogs didn't disappear, they just aren't VA rated show winners producing 300 puppies a year that everyone talks about as being used to "better the breed".

one thing I did like was that the atmposphere seemed to be one where everyone was there for fun, not so much ego and money. But i'm sure those aren't new to our era either.

DanL

We were discussing this in chat last night.
I'm asked frequently if Lacey is purebred because she is not very big. She's within standard but at the bottom of it. She's 24 inches at the shoulder and 65 lbs. She is purebred, I have a 10+ generation pedigree on her (well beyond 10, can track her all the way back to Horand of course)
She's also not very angulated in the rear at all, and is rather normal looking, no twist when she walks, not down on the hocks, etc. The working folks I know think she's nice in structure, the show people don't. There's as big of a gap between WL and SL GSD's as night and day sometimes.
24" and 65lbs is at the high end for a female. People are just used to seeing them bigger. I know a police K9 guy who has a female that is under 60lbs. Another guy I know has a female he uses for breeding who isn't much bigger. Both are VERY good working dogs.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Oh RTH, don't forget the people breeding "Old style" GSD's. The ones that are well over 100 lbs. :rolleyes: because, you know, that's how they were originally :confused:...so stupid. I see some thick dogs occasionally, but I don't think I've seen any of them well over 100 lbs.

Examples (pulled from Lacey's pedigree, sorry fastest way to come up with some older dogs for me)

V Olex vom Wasserrad (SchH3 Kkl 1) HD - normal born 1981

V Fenga vom Kirschental (HGH Kkl 1) HD-zuerkannt born 1973

These are some pretty quick examples of dogs from the 70's/80's from Germany (both are SZ registered) I don't see either of those dogs being very large at all, or slope backed/ roach backed. So that's my rant for today, when people say "old style" trying to pawn off a dog that's well over 100 lbs, it's just sad.
Also with the stance you can make most dogs look more slanted than they are (like Olex there, you can tell he's not sloped like that, but is positioned that way)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
24" and 65lbs is at the high end for a female. People are just used to seeing them bigger. I know a police K9 guy who has a female that is under 60lbs. Another guy I know has a female he uses for breeding who isn't much bigger. Both are VERY good working dogs.
But don't you know they have to be mixed to be that small? :rofl1:
I just catch flak, even at my SchH club. Not that I really care, but it's funny to see people that think a GSD should be over 100 lbs and just this massively huge dog.

I love smaller sized females. I want a female to LOOK like a female. A GSD's secondary sex characteristics should be strong. People are just so used to seeing tall, overweight dogs. I very rarely see a male GSD with strong bone, large masculine head, thick neck and filled out properly. And because of that people think my dog is bigger than he really is. He's about 25.5 inches tall and not even 80lbs (at least not yet). I had a 100# male, he was gret very agile and fast (or so I thought), until I got a smaller male and WHOA was there a huge difference when it came to agility, endurance, speed ect. An ideal size for my female (when i finally get her) would be about 22-23 tall and maybe 60-65lbs.

There are still so many good GSD's out there, dont let the improper breedings take away from a properly bred one. I guess in a way its kind of good that most people dont know about working lines, because once those get screwed the GSD will be no more :(.

DanL

I think there are enough people out there preserving the working lines that we'll be OK.

Here's a couple of my favorite pics of Gunnar. He's just under 90lbs right now.

Working to get the decoy.

Coming over the fence to get the decoy who had grabbed me.

6 months old playing with a rag- I had no idea what I was doing, just messing around, yet it's a pretty full bite.

Old School lol

Driving home today and BAM long haired big boned GSD stunning .
But owner is letting dog LOOSE in a wooded lot so I did not stop wish I had the camera.
Have NOT seen a GSD like this in 10 years outside of PP club.

WOW. Almost went into ditch looking to the right explaining that to a cop would of been not fun.
Dan you have a very nice looking GSD.

Dan,

Gunner is the reason why I love GSD's. I had an opportunity to get a GSD pup (they werent really my thing) and then I came here and saw Gunner, and my decision was made. I think he was about 9-12 months at the time. How old is he now?

Love the "old school", lol.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Loved the videos :) kenya has no slope at all either and shes quite small and I get asked if shes mixed all the time! lol Acamp atleast be happy lacey is the "right" color, people just CANNOT believe that GSDs do come in bicolor

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I know what you mean Fran...we have a little white GSD puppy that visits with Lacey when we pick the kids up from school. Everyone can pick out the black and tan GSD, but everyone asks that poor woman what kind of dog she has...while her pup is playing with Lacey. I mean, I picked it right out, she looks just like a smaller version of Lacey (she's about 10-12 weeks old) just white, lol.

DanL

Dan,

Gunner is the reason why I love GSD's. I had an opportunity to get a GSD pup (they werent really my thing) and then I came here and saw Gunner, and my decision was made. I think he was about 9-12 months at the time. How old is he now?

Love the "old school", lol.
I've really enjoyed working with him, he's so willing to please and so even tempered. He'll never be a real man stopper like some of the dogs I've trained with but he's a pretty good dog.

Believe it or not, Gunnar is a little over 4 1/2 now! Even harder to believe, Daisy will be 3 in November!

Members online

No members online now.