Boomer and Cushings

Giny

Last year I had posted that Boomer showed sings of Cushing's Disease. It was only a few sings that possibly indicated that he might have this disease and because he was young , he was 3 years of age, we decided instead of going through the Low-Dose Dexamethasone Suppression test, which test for Cushings, we opted to do a complete blood work with full Thyroid test and that came back negative.

This year Boomer shows even more sings of Cushings so he went through the LDDS test and I just received the results. It showed that is was borderline for Cushings. The vet feels that Boomer's at the beginning stage of the disease and since he's still a young dog that with time it would probably get progressively worse. He'll be going in for more testing in 6 months from now though if any of his symptoms increase within that time to go back to see him.

The vet doesn't want him treated for it right now since the medication itself is quite hard on the system and I agree with him.

Does anyone know of anything I could do for him in the meantime? Any foods he should avoid or increase? He's my heart baby and it's so difficult to think that he has this. Any help with be so gratefully appreciated.

poodlesmom

Oh Giny, I'm sorry Boomer seems to be at the beginning stage of Cushing's. I don't really know much about the disease myself but a dear friend had 2 dogs with it, a French Brittany and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I do know both dogs lived long and happy lives. I don't know how young they were when they were initially diagnosed. They were eventually on meds but I'm sorry I don't have the details and my friend has passed so I am unable to get more details on her experiences with it.

Farley, Chloe & I are sending our thoughts & prayers Mini-Me's way that the testing in 6 months doesn't show any worsening. Hugs to you too as we know just how much Boomer means to you!

Giny

Thany you Denise. My little Farley is sick. :(

I'm reading up as much as I can on it. Aside a few symptoms Boomer seems quite healthy. Hopefully it won't progress anymore soon.

How sad for your friend to experience this with 2 of her dogs.

Giny

Wow I must be dyslexic. I have the word SING all over the place when it should be sign and I just now realize it. Ooops.

Members online

No members online now.