Emme is unsure of bigger dogs.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
As we got Emme as a older pup 3 1/2 months. I am now consitantly starting to socialize her as much as I can. But what I have noticed is that she is unsure of bigger dogs.

when they approach her she will sometimes give them a little growl or bark. Or either hide between my legs. How should I go by approaching that. I think its because she is not very familure with bigger dogs. I also notice that she wants to play with them as she will chase, but as soon as the bigger dog turns around to chase back she runs towards me again and hides behind my legs.

Example: We took her on a play date with my friends lovable, crazy, happy, playful golden puppy Bentley who is seven months old. She really did not know what to think about him. When she first met him she pretty much just ignore him, but when he kept on coming back to investigate her she got fed up and ended up growling and barking at him. I also took Teagan with me and Teagan and Bentley are great friends. When they started playing Emme got a little more comfortable and wanted to play. She did a little bit of chase, but as soon as Bentley started chasing her she got upset and when and hid behind me.

She is great with smaller dogs and loves them to death and wants to play with the smaller dogs. I dont thing Emme knows she is big yet.

My question is how should I deal with Emme when she growls or barks at the bigger dogs, If she needs to be corrected what is a good way I should do it?

Maura

Emme's growling is a fear response.

If you correct her she will learn that bad things happen when big dogs show up to scare her. Find a dog in the size range you think is big, one that is very tolerant and lazy. The big dog should be on a down stay so that Emme can come up to him in her own time (not yours) and not feel threatened. Pretend to ignore them. Read a book or something. I would expect the puppy to approach the big dog, run back to you, approach him again. Don't speak to the puppy when she does this, just go back to your book. When you don't react with fear (talking baby talk to Emme, for instance), she will stop reacting with fear. You know, "love with open arms".

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I personally prefer benign indifference to other dogs. Also your puppy is in a fear stage which all puppies go through, it's the wrong point to be stressing her out or forcing this upon her. She is seeking you for protection which is correct, she is growling because she is fearful because you're not either directing or protecting her. Until she's over this behavior you should be standing between her and the other dog and directing her either by walking or asking for a command that she knows like sit, or down. At this point you should NEVER subject her to a loose larger dog, it's asking for trouble for later.

D

drdamian

you want your dog to become self confident and appropriately friendly, not a vicious guard dog! She's most likely barking at people because she's somewhat nervous in the first place. However, a nervous dog can be a dangerous dog. The behavior you describe, ears laid back, can be a signal that the dog is unhappy and indeed might try to defend itself if pushed. Many dogs will first try to avoid (run from) a situation, then defend if necessary and if provoked further.

I suggest taking your dog to obedience. Obedience training should help socialize your dog to various other dogs and people and help her develop skills to become more confident as well as develop more appropriate behavior.

A good start might be to check with the local pet shelters in your area. Many offer classes themselves. If they don't, they should be able to offer you resources on where to find classes. A reputable trainer will know how to deal with this behavior and help you to help your dog. I suggest advising the trainer of the behavior prior to attending class.

Members online