Puppy-Common Mistakes?

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
OMG. Are you seriously getting a Koolie puppy?!!>? I am beyond jealous... you have to post at least 80,000,000,000 pictures! :D What color/gender/breeder?

Socialization is an amazing, magical thing. I socialized the HECK out of Fozz. Even beyond what most people would consider safe for a puppy who hasn't completed all of his shots. But, I used common sense and only allowed him contact with dogs that I knew for a fact were A) stable and B) healthy. I did not take him to the dog park or anywhere risky like that. But he came to all of my Obedience, Flyball, and Agility classes and tournaments with Gonzo from 9 weeks on and met literally thousands of friendly, well-mannered dogs and people. I brought him to class with me, to parties, to friends houses, to stores, to fairs and outdoor events, just about anywhere that I could. I made sure every experience was a positive one and never pushed him into being overwhelmed or fearful. You want your puppy to meet 100 people a week, minimum. Fozzie probably met a few hundred on some weeks! I got pretty into it. :p But it has paid off immensely. He is happy to meet any person in the world, and has no fears or apprehensions toward anyone.

I think diet is also a huge factor! The first year is incredibly important. I don't know what you feed now, but I highly recommend feeding a grain-free kibble, if not raw. I raised Fozzie on a combo of pre-made and prey model raw and he grew up very gradually and stayed lean. His structure is awesome now... especially for a Corgi mix. I see Corgis and mixes with painfully bowed legs everywhere and I didn't want that for him.

OMG. Are you seriously getting a Koolie puppy?!!>? I am beyond jealous... you have to post at least 80,000,000,000 pictures! :D What color/gender/breeder?
Yep I am!! He's already on the way here and will be getting to the Chicago airport at 5 am on Friday. I am so excited I feel like I'm going to burst. Promise, lots of pictures!

Here he is at 4 weeks old

And at 6 weeks old

Socialization is an amazing, magical thing.

...He is happy to meet any person in the world, and has no fears or apprehensions toward anyone.
And that is exactly what I want and I'm hoping to get! And believe me, this pup is going to be coming everywhere with me, everyday.

It's also going to be perfect. There are these concerts that go on right behind my house every Tuesday during the summer. Lots of loud noises, people, kids, walkers, dogs etc. Really looking forward to using that.

I think diet is also a huge factor! The first year is incredibly important. I don't know what you feed now, but I highly recommend feeding a grain-free kibble, if not raw..
He's going to be on Honest Kitchen, whole prey (whole rabbits, rats, mice etc.) prey model and Nature's Variety Instinct and Kirkland to help cut costs.

I also got a great deal on that Deli Fresh dog food where it was all half off so I got a ton of that to use for training and stuffing kongs and bones.

So yep! The best diet I can do. I had to find some kibble or sausage like stuff because he's going to be getting a lot of food through training but for the rest of the time it's going to be a lot of raw :)

Doberluv

He's so squishably, squeezably adorable. I can't stand it. What an expression he has on his face. Congratulations!!!!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
A BI-BLUE MERLE!!! ARE YOU FOR REAL?!

He is soooooooooo cute! Way to go and get my dream puppy... oh well, I can still live vicariously through the tonnes of pictures you're going to post. ;) I can still dream. He is just perfect. Look at that nose! And those ears! He's going to be such a fun dog to train and work. Is he from a breeder in Texas?

Wow. He's so lucky! That sounds like a really good diet plan. As far as hind end awareness and surfaces... if you have any kids playgrounds around, those are great for introducing new surfaces and shaky bridges and steps and slides, etc. I would always bring Fozzie to the playground as a puppy and Gonzo taught him how fun it was. Working on commands like "back up" and "spin" (in different directions) and "weave" (through your legs or weave poles or whatever) are something that you can work on as early as possible. I highly recommend teaching these by capturing the behaviors with a clicker. It's lots of fun with puppies.

Yep! That's my pretty little boy :D I'm going to sound really spoiled and say my dream puppy would have been a red merle but the timing was to prefect for this guy and I kinda gotta say like the one I got ;)

Nope, not from Yatahae, he's going to be fresh off the boat from Australia. In fact, he should be landing in Los Angeles in about an hour and half and then on his way to Chicago at 1ish in the am.

He should be a gem to train! I can not wait. But I do see his smarts making me want to throttle him later on :)

I so lucked out on the Honest Kitchen. I wanted to do it but all my money has gone to the shipping, supplies, vet, puppy class ect. and I couldn't justify the HK at least for a little while. BUT I managed to win a 10 pound box earlier this week, couldn't ask for better timing than that.

The playground is a great idea! Plus, lots of kids and other odd things to get him used to. I know no small children so I have to use other people's.

And yes, I plan to do a lot of capturing and freeshaping. I'm really looking forward to having a blank, intelligent slate

I'm thinking you need to find yourself a Koolie, if you ever want to talk about them you are more than welcome to pm me! I've been living and breathing them for awhile now and bothering a ton of people all over Australia asking questions :D

Thanks Doberluv! I think he is too!

Oh and if anyone has any more fun tricks to train I would love to hear them, I get the feeling I'm going to need a lot of things to keep his little mind working!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Whoa... a REAL Koolie from Australia? That is amazing! Are you going to keep him intact? Maybe I can have one of his babies someday... :p I want a Koolie so, so bad, but breeders around here are scarce, and I am over-the-top obsessive about what I want in a breeder. The world of Koolies is mystifying! I'm still pretty unsure about the fact that so many breeders openly breed merles to merles, I don't know if I'm down with that. I do understand that it's a common color in Koolies and such. I'm still researching a lot!

Wow, you won 10 lbs of HK? LUCKY! That equals sooo much hydrated food.

I can't wait to hear all about him! And watch him grow up! :) Such a cutie-patootie!!! What's his name?

Yep a REAL one :D

I paid waaaay too much in shipping fees for this dog to have any part of him taken away. In other words, he's keeping his balls and I do very much want to breed him someday if he turns out to be as great as I think he will be.

I also have considered importing a pregnant bitch at some point.

The Koolie word is killer, especially because it's pretty small comparatively. Really hard to navigate sometimes. You've got Koolie fever! You needs one, NOW :D

No name yet but the name Traveler has been sticking really well even before I decided to import.

Members online

No members online now.