barking problem

axp117crow

my daschund is 3 1/2 months old and is great except he barks whenever we leave him alone. whether it be going to the bathroom or to the store. he has to always be up someones butt. its just a hastle because me and my fiance can't go shopping without a dogsitter because he barks and the neighbors complain. we've tried leaving treats in his cage, leaving the tv on, in the cage, in a room, i mean i don't know what else to do. please help

Herschel

Sorry, but the barking comes with the breed.

"These little dogs like to bark (their barks are surprisingly loud for their size) and are compulsive diggers."

-From http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dachshund.htm, the first result to a Google search for "Dachschund"

Honestly, you should consult a professional trainer or behaviorist in your area. Has anyone video taped your dog while you are away? Is he barking out of separation anxiety? Has the barking been reinforced by someone letting him out of his crate when he barks? (i.e., bark = get let out)

As a quick fix, you might want to give him something to keep him busy while he is in the crate. If he is chewing, then he probably won't be barking. Have you given him a Kong? http://www.kongcompany.com/ What about a bully stick? A raw bone? (A crate is a great place to give raw bones, and most dogs love them)

By the way, how long are you leaving him at home? He's only 3 and 1/2 months old, so anything more than a few hours is going to be rough for him.

axp117crow

he has a raw hide bone in his crate and i always leave one or two treats. i try to keep him busy and i always leave somethin to do. the longest i left him home was an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hours to go food shopping. he just barks the whole time. i also have the living room gated most of the time so i can always watch him when i'm in there. but if i hop the gate to go to the restroom really quick he barks and whines till i get back. i know they like to bark in general but he only barks a little when we are home which is no big deal. from what i hear he just constantly barks when we go out. i can hear him barking as soon as i leave the house until i get in the car.

Herschel

Rawhide is not at all the same as raw bones. Dogs shouldn't be given rawhide, and they especially shouldn't be left unsupervised with it. Raw hide kills dogs.

http://www.sojos.com/giveyourdogabone.html

When you come home, do you immediately let your dog out of the crate? If so, you have reinforced the barking everytime he's been left in the crate. When you come home, ignore him until he stops barking. As soon as he is quiet, let him out, give him a treat, tell him good boy, and pet him like he's the best dog in the world. (But only after he stops barking/whining)

Maxy24

does your dog have seperation anxiety.

you may want to try a kong toy filled with treats or a dog treat spread that they must lick out. Also there is a training method you must use. you walk out of your home and then come right back in and give the dog a treat and praise (if she did not bark) Then go out again and come back. Each time you go out stay out a little longer. If she barks don't give her the treat you were out to long and next time you must go for a shorter period. This training may take awhile. Also if you notice she starts to get anxious when you get ready to leave (get your keys, put on coat,turn off lights,ect.) Then you must unteach her that these mean you are leaving. you have to randomly do these things and then just don't leave, watch tv or play with her or something other than leaving.

Members online

No members online now.