Why is your dog named what he/she is named?

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I was reading the "what's in a name" post and got to wondering where everyone came up with their dog names? Mine came after a series of brainstorming on the way home from the breeder, so the poor guy could welcome in the newyear with a name :) He was sort of pale yellow all over at the time and REALLY cheerful for such a young pup so me and my closet hippie self decided on Sunny. I don't think anyone would have argued with me unless I wanted to give him one of their names or call him pixie or something :eek: :D How about you?

Saje

Island dweller
Well, that's a long list.

Maverick came from the SPCA with that name. We called him by other names and sounds to see if he liked something better but he really didn't care so he is Maverick now.

Mikey came with another name that I don't remember. He responded to 'Mike' when we called him that.

Mini is short for MiNina or my girl. I got her when I was still engaged to my Chilean ex and that was the name he wanted for her.

Molly came with the name Dolly but we changed it to go with the "m" theme.

Mitsty came with the name Jewel cuz some kid had left a bracelet around her neck. Steve changed her name because she looked like a Mitsy he had known. And the m theme...

Chiclet was so named because she is the smallest breed of rabbit, Netherland Dwarf.

Niblet, rip, was named to rhyme with chiclet and because he bit Steve's cousin which is why we got him.

Mika I had a hard to naming so I looked names up on the internet and found that Mika (a 'm' name) means intelligent racoon in a native language. I don't think it said which one.

Woody, rip, was a beautiful colour and would have blended in nicely in the woods. actually he was more straw coloured but I liked the name.

Miss Piggy was named because she grunted like a pig when Steve picked her up although I've never heard her do that. I called her Piglet sometimes too. :)

I guess that's it unless you want me to do my horses. lol

Adrienne

Well Neva was named by my good friend and I believe it means snowflake in Spanish.
Gunnar got his name because my fiancee's whole family is into hunting and guns, in fact his step mom owns a gun supply store so Gunnar he is, I also like the meaning which is soldier.

Fergi one of my bunnies name came from my grandfathers middle name which was Ferguson, I also happened to buy her on the anniversary of his death.

Diva was named because she is just such a Diva, she is one of the most beautiful Flemish giant rabbits I have ever seen and has the perfect Diva like personality.

Samara is Fergi's daughter and her name means protected by God, it was choosen by a poll on a rabbit forum.

Chloe is my Corgi, and the name just fit her.

Jackson Browne...the same as Chloe.

Hootie came with that name.

Felida is the name of the school where we rescued her. It mean Feline in latin.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Akara because it means wild red beauty and is really decribed her.
Tracker His full name Is Farla's Tribute but I simplified it to Tracker for one reason or anouther.
Shaker Just kinda went with Tracker and he is does constantly shake like she's wet but he's not lol.
Nera named her after my Dads mum
Buck named him after Buck in Jack Londons Call of the wild
Harley named him after the Motorcycle because he is full and i mean PULL of energy.
Roxy Her full name is Roxanne and i just all her Roxy i named her that because she just seems like she would be a female rocker chick if she were human.
Monty came from the shelter with his name and I kept it sicne he does look like a Monty.
Star came with the name from the shelter and it just stuck
Angel I thought it would be ironic to name such a rough looking dog Angel and it suits her.
Iris named after the flower
Hitch his full name is really Hitch Hiker just thought it would be a cool named for a sled dog.
Pheonix he was the only surviving pup from his litter
Baby she was just such a sweet thing when i got her and never changed since she is such a doll.
and finally Stinker need i explain?

Noah tell you the truth i know very little about the actualy Noah other then he built the arc lol. I just thought it would be a fitting name for my first Chin
Bright for two reasons one she is any extremly clever dog and her light coat color.
Shady her full name is Shady Lady since she has always been a sort of trouble maker with a sweet face lol.
Rooney named after Mickey Rooney because he just reminds me of him personality wise and he's kinda short lol.
Couger he came with this name from his former owners he is my only black and tan
Heart named him this because he had a heart shaped spot on the inside of his right hind leg.
Sweetie simply the same reason as Baby and Babe she's just a sweet heart
and finally Rajah came with this name

and of course you know Zeus and Tundra both of them came with their names and they were fitting.

Babe because she's a sweet heart and such a babe ;)
Pakak because it defines him as one who gets into everything.

whew

bogolove

Brady is named after Tom Brady because my husband is a huge Patriots fan. He is from Massachusetts.

Luckily we got him right around the end of football season and not baseball season or his name may be Damon, or Ramirez, or Sox. He barely missed being called Celtic with the timing of the seasons. ;)

I should have named him Manning and made him my little Volunteer dog. Hubby would not have cared, he went to UT also.

Khristine

Oreo is named Oreo because he's all black with a white stripe down his chest, making him look like an Oreo cookie.

Ginger.. i just looked at her.. and said ginger! and it fit :p

Barb04

Super Moderator
Max is actually The Great Maximus from some movie Carl likes - can't remember.

CJ actually stands for Cosmic Joe. She's named after my brother who passed away from colon cancer. They are both one of a kind.

Tiny because he was very tiny - only 3 lbs. when Carl got him.

Bear just because.

Well, we named Blackie because Mom had a dog when she was growing up named Blackie, and he is also black. lol The name fits him too.

Rose- I named her Rose because Brownie (her mom) would always climb up onto our porch by going under/through our rose bush. So you can say it was in remembrance of Brownie (who passed away when the pups where just begining to eat dry food. :( ). And I can't imagine Rose being named anything else. (We call her Rosie Posey Pudd'n Pie. lol :D )

Ash47

Taco Dog
Ok...
Precious came when we went to look at the litter that was advertised as being given away free in the newspaper. She was the only red Chow pup and the calmest. While we were there, she proceeded to sort of roll under a car. A fat fluff of fur just rolling! LOL And there we said, "Aw how Precious!"

Oreo...that explains everything.

Roxie Mae. We waited for a few days before she had a name. On the way to pick her up though, my fiance said, "How bout something with Mae?" I said maybe. Then when we got her, he said she looked like a mini ROCKweiler. He tripped up on his words and I thought it was cute. We could not name her Rocky being a girl, so Roxie it was.

Spud. I really don't know?? My grandmother had him first and she always picks goofy names for her pets. Although, for some reason, the name fits him to a T!

Tbecker48

Teddi got her name because she looked like a little Teddy Bear when she was a puppy but since she was a girl my mom and I decided to spell it with an "i" instead of a "y".

Capone already had his name when we adopted him from the rescue. And it fits him perfectly!! He thinks he a big bad gangsta!!

Liberty got her name because she is a Boston Terrier which is an american breed so I wanted to give her an american sounding name.

Our cat, Tang was named by my sister-in law who used to own him. I guess because he's orange.

This was a cool thread, I've enjoyed reading everone's posts.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mary after a little girl i babysat for about 4 years..she was a wonderful little girl
Victor is the name Mom thought he should have..i hoped that if she named him..she would like this skinny overactive puppy..he needed all the endearments he could get
especially since she is his doggy sitter.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I agree this was a good idea!
Lucas was named after a mexican candy. It is a powder (actually it isn't a candy at all. It is a seasoning that all the kids in California eat as candy. It's is really good! :p ) We were eating it when we got him and someone suggested it and the name just seemed to fit.

Oh and I have a new pic, as long as no one minds me attaching it to this thread.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Bagel Dog- He was originally going to be adopted by my tutor. She asked her three year old daughter about Bagel, and the daughter asked what color he was. She said tan, and the daughter asked what tan was. My tutor pointed to somthing tan in the room, and the daughter exclaimed, 'Oh, like a Bagel!' My tutor told her that would be a good puppy name, and told my mom about it. So we then started to call him Bagel, but it turned out my tutor couldnt take him, as she had a new baby and realized it was stupid to get a new puppy and a new baby. But Bagel kept his name, with the added, 'Dog'.

bubbatd

How far do you want me to go back ?? Rufus and Penny with help of the children and their red/copper color. Roxanna (Roxie) a vote, Bushwacker (Bush) is a trout fly ...my husband wanted fly names and I refused RatfaceMcdoogle !!! Cinnamon Bear (Bear) color and he looked like a bear cub....I.B.Nice ( I.B) was named after my Mom's initials as she help me buy her, Bubba was born during the NCAA tournment and all the pups had names of the teams....he was to be Bobby for I.U., but daughter Amy was just married to her Bob.....when he was born he came in at 1/2 # more than any other pup and everyone one said "WOW that's a Bubba " ....Chip's registered name was Chip of Bubba , so when he came back to me I kept it. My first golden in 1949 was prenamed by the sire's owner....one of the first goldens in Canada,Lorelei's Golden Point ..Point. He was out of Rip...the 1st golden in the hall of fame. They all lived long lives , so in 50 plus years it doesn't seem like alot of dogs.....it's the first time I've been down to only one, so I was (and am) blessed.

Members online

No members online now.