How much information and when?

Kilter

I put a listing up for my kennel, not in a huge rush but also didn't want to wait last minute (I know I waited years for each dog depending....).

Don't have the full website up yet but wanted to get my name out there anyway.

So doing up a bit of a form letter to have all the information down so it's worded the way I like and I don't forget anything. Question is how much info is good and how much is too much?

I do want to put the health stuff in there, since there are sooo many border collie breeders who do nothing health wise or just do hips. I did a short blurb on each disease which of course takes up some space but it's worth it, right? I figure if someone doesn't want to read all of that I don't want to deal with them.... and at the same time at least I've given that information....

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If I am looking at a breeder's website, I want as much info as possible so that I don't need to ask those basic/stupid questions when I call them, wasting everyone's time. It's also easier to know that stuff beforehand so I can decide if I even want to move forward with contacting the person.

Toller_08

I like a really thorough website. Something that tells me the breeder cares about their dogs and the breed, what the breeder's goals are for their puppies/dogs, something that shows their dogs' accomplishments, information about health and health clearances, photos etc.

The more information I can gather from a website, the happier I am. To be honest, I tend not to even give a breeder a second look if they don't have an informative website (or any website at all) unless I know somebody with a dog from that breeder who has good things to say.

I wouldn't necessarily go into every itty bitty detail, as the buyer should also be able to ask questions and you should be able to provide a more indepth answer at that point either in e-mail/phone/in person. But the basics should be there for sure, and if there's more, then great. I've come across situations where I really didn't know what to ask a breeder though as everything was on their website already, but in that case I just tried to verify things rather than ask questions directly, so it worked out. Plus, that's probably something one should do anyway as you never know if information on a breeder's website is actually legit (as I found out after buying a dog). So I don't think there is really such a thing as too much information, just too little.

Lyzelle

I also enjoy a very informative website. I LIKE knowing how much the breeder knows, how willing they are to educate, info on each dog, dog's parents or offspring, goals, at least ONE good side shot of the dog, so on so forth. As long as the website is clean, professional, and organized, I don't mind tons of info. Now, if everything is just strewn all over the place, that can get hard to read.

I don't think there is too much information, honestly. Just as long as it is properly organized, clean, and professional.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
My ideal website mentions the dogs, health information, a basic pedigree, achievements, and strengths and weaknesses of each dog. Photos are a big plus.

Generally speaking I don't worry if they spend alot of time on very basic breed information. That's what google is for.

Kilter

I'm working on the website stuff and have done an intro letter and application, the letter has some good basic information on what I do as far as testing and such, and the application should weed out a lot of people (if they don't want to answer all those questions, then that's a bad sign! LOL). I don't like getting into huge detail, if someone has no clue on conformation they're not going to get it, if they know about conformation stacked shots etc. will give them their own imput. And honestly you can put anything on a website, doesn't mean it's always true to form.

I figure people will get the idea of what I'll be doing and how and either appreciate that and go with it, or look elsewhere if they don't.

yoko

Just as long as it is properly organized, clean, and professional.
Just wanted to repeat this.

I don't know if I'll ever go through a breeder but I do occasionally brows through breeder websites and I see very few that are any of those three things.

SaraB

Concise, clean and easy to navigate are important. Dog's accomplishments, future goals, health clearances and personality traits are necessary as well. Bonus if there are videos of the dog doing the activities they are trained in (herding, agility, etc) and videos showing the dog's personality.

Kilter

So for now I have a writeup I'm sending out, not many inquiries but I'd rather say 'here's a ton of info' and then let them digest it and if they choose to, send an application in. Anyone bored and want to read it over and give imput? I'm kinda annoyed, a breeder not far from here is a vet, and breeds borders, and on her website has three girls - one ofa fair, one mildly displastic and one moderately displastic. Litters planned out of all three! Sigh. Hard to educate when the vets do that crap.....

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
What are the OFA ratings? I used to be a stickler for only breeding OFA good or excellent dogs but a couple of brilliant breeders have really encouraged me that there is more to a dog than what meets the eye. Breeding up, breeding right, and breeding without throwing out the baby with the bath-water is a lot more important than my original thought process.

I'll read it and give my best opinion.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
So for now I have a writeup I'm sending out, not many inquiries but I'd rather say 'here's a ton of info' and then let them digest it and if they choose to, send an application in. Anyone bored and want to read it over and give imput? I'm kinda annoyed, a breeder not far from here is a vet, and breeds borders, and on her website has three girls - one ofa fair, one mildly displastic and one moderately displastic. Litters planned out of all three! Sigh. Hard to educate when the vets do that crap.....
I know exactly which breeder you're talking about. Her dogs are fantastic workers but the hip dysplasia stuff makes me uneasy (and I'm not even planning on a BC for a long while). Luckily I don't have to buy from her if I do end up wanting a nice working BC.

Kilter

I looked them up. One is a prelim fair, the other two are both moderately displastic (but on her website, she has one as moderate, one as mild). Relatives that are listed, some are also displastic. I have nothing against using an ofa fair myself, but wouldn't do fair to fair, not in borders where there are lots of goods and excellents (unless the dogs impressed the heck out of me otherwise!).

I can email what I have to whoever, just pm me your info!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Also, unrelated to info, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT add music or crazy flash/animations to your site! Drives me nuts and immediately makes me question the quality of the breeder tbh.

Kilter

Also, unrelated to info, for the love of all that is holy, do NOT add music or crazy flash/animations to your site! Drives me nuts and immediately makes me question the quality of the breeder tbh.
Oh of course not, don't be silly. I do however plan to cover everything with crappy poor res images of flags and hearts as a background, use neon print on black for the text and refer to the church way of life.

That's ok right?:rofl1:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh of course not, don't be silly. I do however plan to cover everything with crappy poor res images of flags and hearts as a background, use neon print on black for the text and refer to the church way of life.

That's ok right?:rofl1:
Nonono, pink zebra stripe.

Members online

No members online now.