Chihuahua attack

minismom

I know it not funny, but it IS. All I can do is picture 5 little yappin terrors running around a 6ft tall man while he is trying to keep his balance and they are nipping at his feet. ahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

minismom said:
I know it not funny, but it IS. All I can do is picture 5 little yappin terrors running around a 6ft tall man while he is trying to keep his balance and they are nipping at his feet. ahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

I agree! It is not funny, but I can't help but picture 4 pound chihuahuas biting him!:p

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Imagine if it had been 5 OTHER breeds of dog - would you still be laughing... Why do small dogs get away with such bad behaviour?

Anything bigger and they would have been PTS by now :(

Julie

I am back again.
Dizzy said:
Imagine if it had been 5 OTHER breeds of dog - would you still be laughing... Why do small dogs get away with such bad behaviour?

I agree, very bad behaviour! I think the only reason is five chi's are not life threatening, but a pack of bigger dogs could have done some real damage.

It is really sad that the size of a dog determines the outcome. I think all owners should have to restrain and control their dog no matter what breed. I hope this owner will be held responsible for the hospital visit and the loss of work for the officer! Why should innocent taxpayers pay for his work time while he is in the emergency room, when the dogs owner was clearly not taking responsiblility of her pack.

I am really surprised this even made the news, if it were a pack of larger dogs, and deadly force would have been used, the title probably would have been ............Officers kills family pets.

I guess that's just how things go......

filarotten

Fila the love
I know I shouldn't be laughing, but ankle bites just cracked me up. I could just picture them all knawing on his ankles.
It really isn't a laughing matter. If it had been large dogs they would have been shot or pts. If really isn't fair, the same rules should apply to all dogs.

Ash47

Taco Dog
This could be either badly trained dogs, because lots of people tend to not train their "pocket pups," or it could be the protective Chi behavior kicking in. You have to wonder if the officer had his hands on the boy or was doing something that could have been interpreted by the Chis as hurting their owner. Even if this was a Rottie pack or a Lab pack, I would wonder the same things. I think most dog bites are definetely triggered.
But Julie, you are right. If these dogs were Rotts or Pits, it would be all over the news and the dogs would have been PTS on the spot.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Well, one of the reasons they are not going to order a chi to be PTS, is because of its looks. Whenever a judge looks at a chi, they think of Paris Hilton's dog, Tinkerbell. You look at a GSD and some judges don't have any remorse.

scout1

i had to laugh also when i saw this on another board. i am really surprised the media didnt report it being a pack of tiny teacup pitbulls ......

Barb04

Super Moderator
This story just makes me think of the anatolians in Florida and the chihauhua that was involved. The law is after the anatolians but I guess they feel the chihuahua had to be a sweet innocent dog.

R

rottiegirl

Dizzy said:

Because a chihuahua simply cannot inflict great harm, period.

bubbatd

I don't care if they're yippy and nippy , or barky and bitey ..... it's all in breeding and ownership ! These dogs can't be fun to own.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
this is also a shot at all chihuahuas, arnt they already labled as nasty yippy ankle biting dogs...now its going to be even more so...
I have 2 both of which are sweet happy and loving little dogs (they bark whena strange comes on the property but i call them my little alarms, but they would never just unprovoked attack someone...
i grew up with 25 chihuahuas, all of which sweet well adjusted dogs, i was around them before i could walk, and not once was i bitten/nipped or even growled at.

everyone ive ever talked to is more afraid of a chihuahua (or had a bad experience with chihuahuas) than they have with a bully breed or giant...i tell them i have chis and they gringe untill they meet them that is...my chi monkeys have changed more minds than i have lol.

but unfortunatly due to irrisponsible owners who just assume oh hes small he doenst need traiing...or aww isnt it cute how he tries to attack people, or...oh look how funny it is it thinks its a rotty...
these are tenacious little dogs, and like al dogs need training...i think this attack was totally the owners fault for not properly trainign their dogs. and THAT bothers me!

off the soap box now!

RD

Are you dead yet?
It's hilarious.

Yes, it is bad behavior. However, I have yet to see a poorly behaved small dog inflict great harm on someone. Most large dogs do more damage if they jump on somebody than a tiny one does if it bites. Have you ever heard of a healthy adult being seriously injured by a Chi?
Please do not waste your time trying to convince me that little dogs are dangerous. I have owned two small dogs with short tempers and have been bitten by them quite a few times, and the worst that's ever happened was a "OW!" and a bit of blood. No hospital visit, no stitches, just a band-aid. I will admit that a small dog, with a huge effort, could seriously injure a baby/small child or fragile senior citizen, but they honestly pose no threat to most people.
My Papillon is extremely quick to bite. It isn't his fault, he isn't a "bad dog" but he is very easily "set off" and tends to stand and fight when confronted, rather than shy away. I have lost count of the number of times he's gone after me. Why is he still alive? Because no matter how hard he tries, he can't hurt me or anyone else. THAT is why small dogs are not held to the same standards that large dogs are.

This rant isn't directed at anyone in particular, I just get tired of people saying that "small dogs and large dogs are the same" when they quite obviously are not. I have owned and loved both, but if you neglect to train your Chihuahua, chances are nothing bad will happen to you or someone else as a result. If you neglect to train your Mastiff, somebody very well may wind up dead. I personally believe that dogs should be trained and treated properly regardless of their size, but it is obvious why small breeds can get away with aggression and large breeds cannot. I wouldn't dream of letting a Fila do the things my Papillon does.

Members online

No members online now.