Breeds for me

SarahHound

I know you guys are good at picking breeds for people, and I've never had it done for me, and as I've not met many different dog breeds, maybe you can help me out :)

I was convinced my next dog would be a Cocker Spaniel, but maybe you guys can help me out with others that may suit.

Anyway. This is what I want...

• Around 20kg or under in weight. I think that's around 45 pounds.
  • Medium to long hair, but not one that needs to visit a groomer every month. A few times a year is OK.
  • A breed that will be happy with about 1hr 30 mins walking in the afternoon, 30-45mins at night, and all that can be off lead if the dog beahved ;) We also have unlimited access to fields, the beach etc, where we can go anytime for free running and play.
  • Something that's good with dogs, cats, and preferably something easily trained not to want to kill my bunnies (I've stopped the hounds doing that, so I don't worry about that too much).
  • A swimmer!
  • One with decent recall. Not one that's likely to be off like a shot when I let it off the lead.
  • Nothing 'delicate' that's easily injured (my reason for moving away from greyhounds). Something reasonably sturdy and tough.
  • Something that's reasonably easy to find in a rescue, nothing super rare as I won't be going to a breeder.

I realise some of these are training things, I'm happy with that. But something that's quite willing to learn, not stubborn!

I won't be having a greyhound again, unless its elderly (Todd is ideal, because he doesn't want to run anymore). I feel I can no longer give them what they need. I thought I would have Greyhounds until the end of my days, but with my issues still here after Maddy's death 18 months ago, its not fair to never let them run. I don't mind letting dogs run, but one that's not going to run so fast.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
It seems like with every breed thread posted in the last month or so, I find myself recommending Tollers and Aussies.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, its not got medium or long hair..... But GSP. They'd love that life, beaches and fields. They're sturdy, trainable, can live with other animals, so snuggly and clowns! They'd be at the top end of your weight though. But sizes do vary a lot.

And they do have them in rescues.

Most active dogs do run fast too..... But at least you know they're pretty solid. If you're wanting to train (even just basics at home, but regularly) and happy to exercise them they can be great all round dogs. Just need training and exercise! Or I'd not bother..

If you're rescuing though, personally I wouldn't even look for A breed. Just find THE dog that fits.

You can look at ALL sorts! So just browse here!

http://www.dogsblog.com/

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Umm... cocker! :eek: lol
Seriously ;)
The girl that owns Fred's brother is from a cocker (showing and breeding) home, and she says they are surprisingly similar, just cockers are smaller and hairier lol!

Cocker might be closer to your fit!

SarahHound

It seems like with every breed thread posted in the last month or so, I find myself recommending Tollers and Aussies.
Very difficult to find either of those homeless, both are quite rare in the UK still. I'm surprised though, never had myself down as a herding breed owner. Interesting. Something to remember for the future as I definitely love the look of both breeds :)

SaraB

Field spaniel? I adore the field spaniels that I have had the opportunity to work with! Absolutely love life and live it to the fullest extent possible. LOL

And a picture for funsies:

Spaniel3 by ZooomDog, on Flickr

Members online

No members online now.