Fake service dogs

Shakou

I've come across this a LOT in my travels, primarily with homeless dog owners, and traveling vagrants. They basically print out some fake service dogs tags with a picture of their dog, their name, their condition, etc. and use it so their dogs have full access to everything a regular service dog has. The owner can bring the dog on buses, trains, in stores, etc. and no one, even if they have reason to suspect the dog isn't an actual service dog, can question it.

I don't know why, since in MOST cases, it's not hurting anyone, but this REALLY annoys me. Anyone else ever run into this? Thoughts?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
This is a common discussion on this forum since a ton of members seem to have SDs or SDiTs.

My question is how do you know with such clarity that they're fake?

Saeleofu

This pisses me off to no end.

Honestly? If a dog is wearing a photo ID or certain patches/vests, I would be willing to bet the dog is fake. Those who have real service dogs know that ID/certification is not required, and any certification you're going to find aside from with an actual program (and they really only certify their own dogs) is going to be a scam. Aside from that, behavior gives it away pretty quickly.

I have a vest with patches for Logan, and a harness with one small patch on the front. I use either both, or the harness alone. I've noticed that I get less questions with just the harness, with one exception - if I'm going to Lowe's and I DON'T use the vest, EVERY employee will try to pet my dog. I'm assuming tihs is because they allow dogs anyway, so unless it's really glaringly obvious he's a working dog, they assume he's a pet.

We had an aggressive dog in at the clinic last week. This dog was purchased a few years ago to be a service dog, but quickly became WAY too aggressive, and is otherwise overall very poorly trained (not even leash manners). We were all under the impression this dog had been washed out after the vet said he's not suited to being a service dog...and then to our horror, the guy says he still takes his dog to Walgreens and grocery stores sometimes :yikes: I hope I NEVER run into that dog in a store.

Which brings up another point. There are two kinds of "fake" service dogs. Those that belong to actual disabled people who are desperate, uninformed, or misinformed. They need a service dog, and they THINK their dog is a service dog, when it's really not (usually because of lack of training and/or poor temperament). Then there are those that belong to people who are not disabled and do not need a service dog and just want to drag along Princess Fluffy Snookums because they can or because they want attention. The former I generally call huggers, the latter I call fakers.

Shakou

This is a common discussion on this forum since a ton of members seem to have SDs or SDiTs.

My question is how do you know with such clarity that they're fake?
In my case, I've had people proudly admit it too me, and tell me how easy it is, and even try to persuade me to do it with my own dogs...which of course I'd never do.

The only thing that pisses me off is that dogs aren't allowed everywhere anyway :) If a dog is well behaved and acting appropriately I don't care where they are at all. and on the other hand, i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.

Sekah

The Monster.
Funny, I take my dog everywhere (except places that serve or sell food). I'm surprised people feel the need to fake a SD to do that. I guess this post is mostly pointless - I'm just glad to live in a dog friendly city.

Saeleofu

i don't care if the dog is an actual service dog, if it's not acting like it should, GTFO.
Indeed! It's a shame so many places are afraid of kicking SDs out when they don't act like SDs. They have every right to kick them out.

Flyinsbt

I saw one that bugged me a little the other day. I was in a grocery store, buying some stuff in the self checkout lanes, and a young woman behind me checking out started squeaking a dog toy at a little dog she had with her, saying "this one? this one?", and then gave the toy to the dog to play with, there on the floor of the grocery store, while she paid for it.

I don't know that she specifically claimed the dog as a service dog, or if the store employees just didn't even ask, because it's easier to just act like it's a service dog. Hey, for all I know, the dog was a service dog. But I think playing with a squeaky toy in a grocery store is inappropriate behavior for a SD.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
unless the dog is a danger to itself or others, or is otherwise making its species look bad who gives a ****? it matters not one whit if its a faker or a legitimate SD-handler team, as long as no one is harmed by it, the fakers might even bloody do more good PR for the disabled by themselves. you dont get to feel superior because you think youve spotted a fake

Saeleofu

The vast majority of fakers are NOT doing SDs any favors. They tend to be purse mutts, yappers, even downright aggressive. And it's ILLEGAL. So no, I don't like to see fakers, well-behaved or not.

Airn

unless the dog is a danger to itself or others, or is otherwise making its species look bad who gives a ****? it matters not one whit if its a faker or a legitimate SD-handler team, as long as no one is harmed by it, the fakers might even bloody do more good PR for the disabled by themselves. you dont get to feel superior because you think youve spotted a fake
I think the problem is that the fakers make the whole SD community look bad. Even if the dog isn't acting out. It's easier to sneak small breed dogs in, and if people feel they can get away with it, they do. I think the people who bring their Yorkie into a cafe in a stroller and try to pass it off as an SD ruin things for the SD community.

I don't even have/need an SD, but this annoys me as well. It's not really about what the dog is doing, it's about what it stands for. That's like saying who cares about the BSL laws, because you don't have a bully breed? I guess that's fine for you, but it's not really just about banning pit bulls, it's about what BSL leads to.

But, it does depend on how they're 'faking', what the dog's doing, etc. If someone has a chill dog, I wouldn't care. But if you are putting fake patches on your dog and actively calling it a SD, then yes, that bugs me. There's really no reason for it. I want to take my dog everywhere, too but I don't NEED to. I think a lot of people (myself included, I'll admit) don't fully understand what SDs do and the need for them. (I'm NOT saying SDs aren't needed, just lack of experience with the whole thing ;) ) So people think "Oh they can bring their dog in.... why can't I?"

It seems the biggest obstacles for SDs and their handlers would be solved by a bit of education for the general public and some standards. But you'll always have people who want to bring Mr. Fluffles into the doctor's office because....they just want to. And a lot of employees don't know how to approach a person with a dog.

Of course, I don't have a SD, so that could all be wrong :D

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
The vast majority of fakers are NOT doing SDs any favors. They tend to be purse mutts, yappers, even downright aggressive. And it's ILLEGAL. So no, I don't like to see fakers, well-behaved or not.
After nearly having my service dog attacked multiple times by both poorly behaved SDs and admitted fakers... this.

and all this could be avoided IF well behaved dogs were just allowed period. If your dog causes problems, it's gone. If it doesn't, who cares. Simple, effective, nobody feels slighted, nobody is in danger, nobody has to prove a disability, or feel discrimination or watchful eyes.

Flyinsbt

and all this could be avoided IF well behaved dogs were just allowed period. If your dog causes problems, it's gone. If it doesn't, who cares. Simple, effective, nobody feels slighted, nobody is in danger, nobody has to prove a disability, or feel discrimination or watchful eyes.
I agree, I'd like to see dogs allowed more places. And I don't personally care if someone fakes the SD thing with a well-behaved dog. If the dog is bringing credit to the SD name, so what? (I used to feel differently. I've changed my mind.)

A poorly behaved dog is another question entirely.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I agree, I'd like to see dogs allowed more places. And I don't personally care if someone fakes the SD thing with a well-behaved dog. If the dog is bringing credit to the SD name, so what? (I used to feel differently. I've changed my mind.)

A poorly behaved dog is another question entirely.
Add me to this boat.

Last edited:

Kilter

The poorly behaved ones damage the rights of EVERY dog owner out there, not just SD's and their owners. Which annoys me.

The ideal would be to just allow dogs and boot the ones that don't behave either way. Or make it the rule that the service dog has to have ID and if there's an issue, not against the law to call the person on it and report the dog/handler for their behavior.

The latter got a lot of hackles up, and I get not enjoying having a disability and having people ask, but if it means that someone faking it with a dangerous dog gets nailed big time for doing so, and improves the image of the person with the SD, it's a small price to pay. There was a lady who brought her 'service dog' into the grocery store in a small town and the dog marked food, took a dump in the store almost every time, and helped himself to snacks, till they were banned and then the lady did the whole 'discrimination' routine. I'm pretty sure it was not a real service dog, but you can bet the next service dog that did go into the store was watched very closely....

Flyinsbt

The latter got a lot of hackles up, and I get not enjoying having a disability and having people ask, but if it means that someone faking it with a dangerous dog gets nailed big time for doing so, and improves the image of the person with the SD, it's a small price to pay. There was a lady who brought her 'service dog' into the grocery store in a small town and the dog marked food, took a dump in the store almost every time, and helped himself to snacks, till they were banned and then the lady did the whole 'discrimination' routine. I'm pretty sure it was not a real service dog, but you can bet the next service dog that did go into the store was watched very closely....
Even if it was a service dog, they're allowed to boot it for that behavior. The ADA allows for the dog to be denied access if it's behavior is disruptive to the business.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I actually saw an ad on the side of Facebook the other day that said something along the lines of: "Want to be able to take your dog with you? Pay us this simple one-time-fee and earn the right to take him anywhere!"

I had to read it a few times to make sure it actually said what I thought it said.

Staff online

Members online