Help

Doberluv

Your dog is getting demanding, huh? LOL. I've seen this and they can get obsessive compulsive about it. It can take about 2 weeks to modify a behavior if you're consistant and stick to your guns. Is it a ball? Put it away and a couple of times a day, you take it out and YOU decide when you're going to play that game. Do it for a little while and put it away. If it's sticks, and he brings them to you, just ignore him when he's demanding. If he's bugging you, you'll have to completely ignore him. Don't look at him, don't tell him to shut up, (lol) don't do anything. Go about your business and put up with his whining or barking or whatever he does but ignore him. In addition, give him a job to do. Put him through his paces of obedience skills. Do you work on basics with him? Do you take walks to tire him out? In general, be careful that he isn't whining or wanting something and that you're responding to his demands. You decide everything; when he eats, when he gets a toy (which he doesn't need 24/7) and when you'll put away the toys. You decide when you'll do whatever it is you do with him. Don't react to his ordering you around. LOL. Let us know how he does.

bettymc

Thanks Doberluv.My 7 lb. tyrant is advanced obedience,agilitytraining and gets more exercise that most triatheletes.So his toys are put away and the frantic whining is under control.Today the test!

Doberluv

Well, that's terrific....all that training practice! Great! Now, just to reiterate to him who's the leader. LOL. Even with fetch. LOL.

Fuzz Puppy

I'd have a sceduled play time for a certain amount of time pretty much every day. That way he knows you'll play with him consistantly and not to worry. You'd choosse the time, though.

Doberluv

If it's the same time every day, your dog will catch onto that and start bugging you. (dogs can tell time...did you ever notice that?) I'd toss him a curve ball everytime....keep him on his toes. You don't want him pestering you to throw the ball, right? So, you just decide whenever it's convenient for you and he will have to buck up and live with it. LOL. (just my opinion)

I know what you mean though Fuzz puppy. You don't want to make the poor dog insecure and think that he never gets his ball back again. But I think a good game of fetch or two and he'll know he still gets to play, plus he'll be so busy practicing obedience and stuff, he'll hardly notice. He's also going to be busy thinking about what it is his leader wants him to do. He won't have much time to be worrying about the ball. LOL.

Fuzz Puppy

Those are really good points. Yes, I noticed that dogs can tell time. LOL Well, I hope it works out for the poor dog. If it's every day, the dog can feel better about that. And will know that you didn't forget about him. I'd concider changing the games on occasion.

Doberluv

I'd concider changing the games on occasion.
That's a great idea! Maybe train him to do something else with the ball. Hmmm...what could you do besides fetch with a ball? Hide it and he has to find it? You could hide yourself and have someone hold the dog while you hide and have the ball with you for a reward when he finds you. Any other ideas?

Yeah, I swear at about 8:00a.m. and 4:00 p.m. my dogs know it's meal time and start prancing around looking expectant. Even my horses knew when it was supper time and they'd come up to the barn from way out in the pasture at 4:30 in the afternoon. In the a.m. they'd be up by the barn waiting for me at the time I usually got up to go feed. Funny thing.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
leave it is an excellent back up command to teach. i could put a hamburger down on my floor go to morning classes at the tute..come home and the burger would still be there..( i was a terrible show off back then) but it really does get the idea across that you are boss and what you say goes. retrieiving is great but not when it is pushed in your lap every 5 minutes..that is when leave it becomes a necessity. I put it on the floor to begin with and nononono for only a minute or so..then pick it up reward..stretch the time out..leave it should work for any toy at all..and on your rug (your bed) where ever isn't bad either. They will do what they can that you allow them to get away with.
handy too when your bird dog starts to snatch up a rotten catfish on the side of a lake bank:D

Fuzz Puppy

Right, you could hide the ball
Liberty knows when it's meal time and he sits right in front of where the living room and kitchen meet until he gets food around the same time.

bettymc

TaDA! Have been playing hide the toy and life is much better.He actually will chill out instead of carrying on every waking minute.

Members online

No members online now.