Tibetan Mastiffs

B

BlackDog

Share your experiences. Do you have them? How old are they? Do you know someone who has them? What's their best quality? Just wanted to open a thread on a breed that doesn't get alot of recognition.

R

rottiegirl

I have never had a tibetan masiff, but they are supposed to be great protectors. They have a very deep, loud bark. I like the black and tan ones, they are beautiful!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Years ago my dad brought home two Tibetan Mastiff/Alaskan Malamute mix puppies. My dad brought them home with the promise of eaqsy wheel dogs for sure in the future. They were brothers and was named them Bob and Tod. I can't say wether they stuck to be more like a Tibet or a Mal in personality but in shear size they were huge. They were well bred though mixed and did not have any hip or shoulder problems. They grew to be massive and FAST but sweet too though very protective of our property. Tehy did inherit the Tibets big head and also their drive to herd at times.

My dad had a heck of a time also training and socializing htem properly with both Tibet and Malamute in them they had and EXTREMLY high prey drive and a hard time getting on with other dogs.

Bob passed on years ago at the age of 9 and Tod 3 years later at 12. They were great working dogs and very good with us kids. My dad though swears he will never own anouther Tibet Mix again.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
BigDog2191 said:
From the way you put it, it sounds like they were great dogs. Why??
Because they were tough on him to train with other animals. They were great with people not so great with other dogs and especially not small animals. It took alot of time and effort to get them to work with the team and it just wore him out. It was one of those one time only lets see how I like it sort of deals.

Im not saying they would'nt make great pets but from a mushers point of veiw their tough lol.

Members online

No members online now.