Urgent

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Can puppies get bloat? I just got off the phone with the overnight person and we have a 5-6 month old pit mix puppy, about 20 pounds, that has suddenly (as in the past couple hours) become letharic, very bloated and has picked up what seems to be a slight cough. Earlier tonight she had diarrhea. She drank a whole bowl of water and is keeping that down for the time being.

The overnight is calling the e-vet for their opinion as I type this (I'm at home and about ready for bed).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's what I'm afraid of..

Oh wait, just got called back. The e-vet didn't seem too concerned...maybe it's just gas causing the bloating?

What a night to take sleeping pills...

showdawgz

YES puppies can bloat. I lost a puppy a long time ago due to bloat. Somehow he got into his sisters food and that little bit of extra food (also he drank alot of water outside because it was raining) caused him to bloat). I was terribly devestated, and I never stop blaming myself. Thats why I'm so cautios now with food/water intake.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
When we brought Ele in I was afriaid maybe she bloated but the emergency vet said that it's really hard for puppies to bloat (although showdawgz story proves it DOES happen). I know when Hannah was little if she drank a lot of water too fast her tummy would get all bloated for awhile.

showpug

I would be very concerned about pneumonia which can cause a bloated "look" in some cases from extra fluid increase...and the cough! Vet time ASAP

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
once when i was on vacation the kennel boy forgot to water the puppies when he fed. He dumped the water for fresh but forgot to refill it. The puppies ate the dry food and then the boy came back and gave them water. They were so parched they drank and drank. One puppy's belly swelled up and burst from the pellets expanding so rapidly. When they autopsied the puppy that was what the stomach was full of. Don't know if that helps but i would be running all the way to the vet.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, didn't go to the vet and apparently it was gas, because her tummy shrank back to normal after getting a bit of Dog Smog (it's got natural anti-gas stuff), one more small bout of diarrhea, which was normal (for diarrhea) and was her usual self today. Good appetite, bouncy like usual.

The owners have been informed of what happened last night in case they think she's acting different at home and want to take her. She may have just played too hard; she had her first day out with the big dogs yesterday because she was terrorizing the little ones.

Thanks for all the replies though!

Members online