how much should she be eating?

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
ok I normally feed Maya two coffe cups full of IVET twice a day... she will be getting switched to Canidae ALS next week. How much should I feed her?

(Ok i am going to get WAY off subject here so if you dont want to read it you dont have to)

Well I was talking with my Aunt the other day and she started ripping on me about how I am feeding Maya too much and I need to find a way to pay for Maya's food since she is my dog. Well let me explain a bit, I am a student and a mother. My parents don't want me to work while I am in school becuase they are afraid that it will just be too much on my plate so they told me just to worry about school and my son untill i finish school and then to worry about getting a job. My parents want to help me becuase for my entire life I have let people walk all over me and have gone out of my way to make life easier for other people. From the time i was 16 untill I was 19 I had a job and gave at least 75% of my paycheck to my best friend's family so that they could afford to put food on the table, I never asked anything in return, and never received a thank you except from my friend, but I didnt let it bother me.

So anyways back on subject (sorry about that) SO anyways my aunt is all over me about feeding Maya too much and that I should feed her cheap dollar general brand food becuase it is "wrong" of me to ask this of my parents. My aunt feeds her dog table food. I dont think her dog has ever eated dog food. It has always been leftover pizza, casserole, steak... if she wont eat it niether will her dog. I was eating take-out chinese at her house with her one day and her dog ate more of her food than she did.... grrr.. I dont know I guess I am a bit upsett with my Aunt becuase she has always been the one that I could talk to anything about. Now everytime I go to talk to her I walk away feeling like I am a greedy, selfish, ungratefull brat.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Generally the feeding guidelines on the bag overestimate how much you should be feeding, so start off with what it says and adjust accordingly. According to the Innova bag, Sawyer should be eating about 1 1/2 cups of food each meal and I'm only feeding him 1 cup each meal for a total of 2 cups a day. And he's a fairly active dog.

Just remember that you should be able to easily feel their ribs, but not see them.

Herschel

Canidae suggests that I feed Herschel 1 cup of food per day but we only feed 2/3 of a cup. He is extremely active.

Different dogs have different needs. You could try undercutting the Canidae guidelines by a little bit and see how that works. Maya will probably appear to be hungry at times but that doesn't mean she needs food!

As Zoom suggested you should be able to feel her ribs (not see them) and she should have a defined form.

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
ok.. lol I have been feeding her untill she stops eating. she isnt fat though. I will slowly start cutting her down to about 1 cup a day.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Maya is going to weigh a lot more than Sawyer full grown, he's about 51 pounds. So she will need to eat more. Just keep an eye on body shape.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider at 25 pounds eats a cup a day of most brands we've fed. I'd suggest you look at the guideline on the bag and reduce that by a touch.

Wrigley is around 15 lbs (or so--probably more now) and he gets 1 cup a day (half in morning half at night) so she'll definitely need more than a cup!

Members online

No members online now.