My Baby Blossom has NEW worms!

I do not understand and I am very worried. Blossom is a female golden retrever age 10 1/2 weeks. She has not had shots as of yet due to when I took her at 8 weeks for 72 hour check vet found parasites. Vet gave her a dose of Heartguard Plus. Gave her a antibiotic.Took her back a few days later and was given Chlavamox for a Urinary Tract Infection. Took her back for a follow up YESTERDAY and brought a stool sample. It was LOADED with a NEW WORM Roundworm. Now given new anitbiotic for NEW WORM. How come the Heartguard didnt work??? How come the anitibiotic didnt kill the worms? Told to finish the rest of Chlovamox and use new antibiotic in addition. Vet also took BLOOD and Urine sample. Said she is concerned that Blossom may have a congenital Kidney problem. Blossom can go about 6 hours without the need at night to pee. During day she pees and then 5 minutes later she needs to go again. If I don't take her then she pees on floor. I am really worried any suggestions???

How comfortable are you with this vet? I don't understand giving antibiotics for worms, unless there is some secondary bacterial infection involved.

The daytime peeing could be nothing more than Blossom wanting more time outdoors.

Truthfully, I'd be looking for a second opinion from another veterinary office. Ask people you know who have well-cared for, healthy dogs about their vets. That's usually the best way to find one.

In the meantime, worm medicines are specific. They are formulated to kill certain worms but won't touch others. Get Blossom - if she isn't already - on a high quality, organic feed, whether it's puppy chow or home cooked. In light of your worm problem right now, I wouldn't recommend raw feeding for awhile. I don't know that much about it, especially in regard to puppies, but some raw meats can harbor eggs. Serena can tell you a lot more about raw feeding. Try to get her to eat yogurt, too, since she's on antibiotics and they wreak havoc with the natural, necessary bacteria in the digestive tract. Adding some pro-biotics would be good, too.

Let us know how things are going for Blossom.

Blossom

Renee:
As you may or may not remember I also have a 2yr old Golden Retriever; Petals she is spayed. I have been using this vet for 3 yrs and WAS comfy with them until today.When I originally took Blossom (at age 8weeks)on or about August 11th. to this same Vet. They said Blossom was noted as having a parasite. They gave her some Strongid and a sample Heartguard Plus. They also gave her an ANTIBIOTIC Clavamox for her secondary condition which was vaginitis or Urinary tract(they werent sure which). Then I FINISHED all but 3 days worth of the Clavamox. I took Blossom BACK to the Vet with a stool sample a few weeks had gone by. I was told her stool was infected NOW WITH RINGWORM DIFFERENT THAN FIRST TIME. I explained to vet that she still licking her private area alot. They gave her ANOTHER (2ND) ANTIBIOTIC called Di-Trim tabs 120 mg. told me to use WITH the remaining Clavamox.They also gave me a syringe of ORAL Strongid to use in 3 weeks on Blossom.

Just as a precaution I decided to have Petals the older one (2yrs old) tested her fecal. It came up positive for some worm that sounds like CONGUNTIVITIS but is not killed by any worm medicine. Petals takes Heartguard. So now she too is on meds for her worms. They are called Albon Tabs. I am so mad I could spit. After paying for the above mentioned plus bloodwork on Blossom who they now believe has a congenital Kidney problem making her pee alot and lick herself. I also paid for a urinalysis for her too. Then I was STILL charged for a fecal exam on Petals. You would think they w

I'll bet you are mad enough to spit nails at this point! I know I would be.

It's entirely possible that the excessive peeing and licking is caused by a yeast infection, brought on by too many antibiotics.

There's a great article on yeast problems in dogs at the Great Dane Lady's website, www.greatdanelady.com. I'd strongly recommend you read it and check her site for anything else helpful before your next vet trip - presumable to another vet from the sound of things.

I'm afraid a lot of vets just throw antibiotics and the newest, most expensive pharaceuticals at things when they don't know what the specific problem is . . . just like so many MDs.

You might want to talk to the breeder and ask her if she's had any problems with any of the other pups, and she might also be a good source for a referral to a good vet - if you're comfortable with her as a responsible breeder, which I'm going to assume you are because you've been far too careful and thoughtful about your dogs not to be.

By the way, is Petals enjoying having Blossom to play with?

Poor Blossom's new Worms

Hi Renee:
Thanks for response. Yes Petals enjoys playing with Blossom ....most days ;) . As for Blossom's worms. She had the constant licking of a yeast infection or U.T.I. BEFORE on any meds. As for her worms they gave her Strongid in office and I had already given Heartguard Plus but guess she already had worms. I know they are born with them........As I said she had some other kind of worms a few weeks ago........then came down with another case of Roundworms. Hopefully the meds I listed in earlier post will work. She is on Di-Trim and Albon.

Petals is on Albon for a different worm Choxic? Yes I am mad enough to spit nails while yelling a few choice words! I called breeder he said no other pups came down with anything else???? Not sure whether I can trust this vet now.......always trusted for last 3 years but breeder insists it must be vet. Also I posted this on another forum and was told STRONGID was deadly??????

I did a couple of searches on Strongid and didn't turn up anything earth-shaking. Evidently it's been around for at least 5 years, is used (in a different strength) extensively in the horse community, comes in several different formulations, is the multi-purpose wormer of choice at most shelters and in quite a lot of breeding programs, and perhaps the most interesting part is that it seems to be available over the counter, at least for horses and HUMANS?! One thing about Strongid that I read in most of the information is that it's meant to be given in two or three successive doses in dogs. In horses it seems to be an ongoing thing, at least through the warm months.

I'd love to see Serena and Tigger's Dad check in and give you their advice on this.

My main reaction is to see another vet - one that's not affiliated in any way with the one you've been going to, if for no other reason than to get an independent opinion.

Members online

No members online now.