Are your cats indoors only or indoors/oudoors?

Is your cat an Indoor only cat or Indoor/Outdoor?

• Total voters

Giny

This will be my first poll on Chazhound. Hope I can figure it ou. :D

I was curious, and I’m sure there must have been a same question already asked here but I couldn’t find the thread so I thought I’d make one myself. Please be respectful of other people views, they may not be the same as yours but one thing is certain we all love our kitty cats dearly.

I’ve always kept my cats indoors before, that is until we met Nemo. He was an adult stray that showed up at our kitchen window almost 5 years ago. We already had a cat that was indoors only at that time and when we decided to keep Nemo we tried our best to keep him indoors but to be honest it was cruel to do so. He acted like a caged animal, this otherwise very friendly cat, if met outside, had turned feral indoors. We decided to let him out and it’s been that way ever since. He's now a much nicer indoor cat but still will go crazy if we don't let him out. We don't let him out at night, or try our best not to. He's a great escape artist.

Are your cats indoors or indoor/outdoors?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I dont have any cats now but mine have always been indoor/outdoor :)

All three are INDOOR only.

The first two never seemed to care.
The youngest cries at the window sometimes, I know she would love to go see the outside, but I can not imagine seeing her dead on the side of the road. It would totally kill me. So she is free to talk to the birdies from the window, however she remains inside.

Elissa

Giny

PoodleMommy said:
The youngest cries at the window sometimes, I know she would love to go see the outside, but I can not imagine seeing her dead on the side of the road. It would totally kill me. So she is free to talk to the birdies from the window, however she remains inside.

Elissa
My Misha, an indoor cat, who lived to be a few months shy of 17yrs, was that way when she was a kitten. I remember the nights where someone wouldn't pay attention when opening a door and she'd escape. I couldn't sleep until I found her. I must have scared lots of neighbors rummaging through their yard at one in the morning trying to catch her. Worst part was she was black cat so it was almost impossible to see her, though I always managed to catch her. She'd always let out the loudest yell when I finally did have my hands on her, not because I hurt her but because she knew her nightly adventure came to an end. She did eventually calm down and didn't care to run out the door every time someone opened it.
This was her, next to Nemo.

And when she was a demon kitty. lol

Oh She was gorgeous!!!

I LOVE black cats.

The door and the window are def. my babies favorite place, she has managed a few escapes, but has never made it further then the backyard.:)

Snark

Mutts to you
Our indoor cats stay indoors; and most are feral cats that worked their way into the house... None of them make the slightest attempt to go back outside. We do have outdoor kitties as well - more feral cats (we trapped and transplanted a colony that was going to be exterminated - every one was spayed or neutered so we don't have to worry about kittens.) Outdoor kitties, unfortunately, don't live as long as indoor although our 'core' group of feral rescues is nearing the ten year mark.

B

Blue_Dog

My cats at my old house from like a decade ago used to be outdoor cats. but no we have only 1 left. we had about 7 >.< She is an indoor cat. they have been ever since we moved. But my cit is trying to make having out door cats illegal (cats outdoors). We have CRAZY amounts of stray animals :(

Kay

My 7 are indoor only, unless under restraint.
My reasons are:
-Dogs, other cats, raccoons, coyotes, foxes, cougars or birds of prey.
-People who look at a cat wandering the street and decide "It doesnt have a home, I'm taking it home" (Even though they're tattooed)
-People who look at a cat wandering the street and say "whooo target practice!" or think "it would be interesting to light it on fire and watch it run." (Yes, there are TONS of sick people like that out there)
-Bunchers (Cats and dogs roaming are their main source. They take them off the street and sell to research labs)
-people taking extreme and lethal measures to keep the cats from using their garden as a litterbox
-Cars
-Antifreeze (It has a sweet taste so cats love the taste, but it is fatal.)

My cats are much safer indoors, even if they'd rather be out running free :)
3 of them I take out on leash because they love the outdoors, the other 4 aren't fond of it at all.
However one day I want to build an outdoor cat pen, with a catdoor so that they have the option of going in and out (Safely) whenever they want. :)

Lexus

My three are indoors, as mentioned earlier, I can't fathom my sorrow finding one of them on the side of the road..... My Bandit (my special girl :)) has escaped a few times in her 8 years, and I was frantic to find her. My newest boy I took in about 3 years ago, Jinxy, got out through a torn screen I hadn't noticed last summer, and was gone all day, I finally found the gallot sunning himself on the neighbors porch! My oldest girl of 9 years, Keli, hasn't ever escaped, but does enjoy the outdoors, I occasionally put her on a harness and walk her about. For the most part, none of them really try to get out though. They do enjoy perching at the window and looking out. (show and tell time)
Bandit

Keli

Jinxy

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Our girl is indoor only. She hates anything to do with the outdoors. I've tried to take her out several times on a leash, and she is terrified. She is happy and healthy being an indoors only kitty, and I can sleep better knowing that she's safe.

iluvdogs

Mine are indoor,outdoor...1 cat she HARDLY goes outside, and when she does she just sits on our front grass for about 5 mins and then comes back in.

The other hes a brat, he will leave for 3 days and not come home at all and then he will come home for a while and then back out ~hes a fighter~ :(

Both mine are indoor only cats. I do not trust the people staying around my neighbourhood. They can be quite mean :( And I cannot imagine losing any one of my cats, i'll go nuts.
But I'll be probably building a outdoor catrun if I can afford it (still waiting for a quotation) on my terrace

Fran27

Indoor/outdoor, but the neighborhood is quite safe. Most of the neighbors around here have cats also (most indoor/outdoor as well), there's not much traffic, and mostly the neighborhood is enclosed in big roads and there is no woods close (although I did see a fox once, and a couple skunks). I would be less worried if they were indoor only, but they're frankly much happier this way.

Members online

No members online now.