The Vet Hasn't A Clue...

Brattina88

Okay, Maddie has had these spots on her belly ever since she was a pup. They best way I can explain them is a mole or a wart type of thing, dark brown, almost black in color. I asked the vet and she said that Maddie was just dirty and got on to me a little bit. I was angry, of course, but when she tried to clean on Maddie's belly they didn't come off (I knew this already). She shrugged it off like it was no big deal, and said that they would come off when I gave her a bath... well, of course they didn't. My dogs aren't dirty dogs...
I've asked two more times when Maddie was at the vet and to be honest, I think they don't have the slightest idea as to what it is, and I've seen two different vets since the first and asked them.
Now I've noticed theres a couple around her neck, so now I'm freaking out of course. I know cockers are prone to skin allergies and diseases, but the vet said it was niether of these (or should I get another opinion?) Any Ideas??
This Sounds just like it

Hey, Brattina ~

Get a vet to refer you to a vet who specializes in this sort of thing. You're absolutely right not to accept such a cavalier attitude! If your vet won't refer you, you'll have to do some research and find one yourself. A good starting point might be a university with a veterinary school somewhere in your neck of the woods. (I don't know where in Ohio you are, so I've no idea which one that would be, but you can find out on the internet.)

It's almost unbelievable that out of three vets none of them cared enough to try to find out anything. Sometimes I think some of the veterinary profession is becoming as callous as so much of the medical profession.
Let me know what you find out; you'll be in my thoughts. I know how very much Maddie means to you.

Brattina88

Thank you...

After I asked my vet to refer me she tried to look at it closer to see what it was. She wanted to take samples, do blood work and send it in, but I wouldn't have it. Why spend more money there when she didn't do anything in the first place! Maddie is two years old now, and I am going to be very upset if something is wrong and my current vet dismissed it for two years even though I've asked her several times!
Anyway, when we went to leave and a lady who was waiting to go in called me to her and said that she had a cocker (who hasn't had a cocker? lol) and took her to another vet, who isn't necissarily a specailist, but has more experiance in that area than most.
I called this other vet and they let me speak to him in the phone without going in a paying an exam bill. He said first thing to take her off of Eukanuba (which I've been wanting to do!), and even though she is a little bit overwieght not to put her on lite food (think of all the good skin and coat fats&oils are missing on a low fat food he said).

Dog food has been an ongoing argument about whats good and whats not here. Unfortunaly there isn't any stores that sell Innova (s/w?) or anything related to that and it would cost me a fortune to order it in. After at least a half an hour at the Pet Store, examining ingrediants, and talking to the worker (my mom tagged along, she said we were speaking a new language :p ) I found a food I liked. Royal Canin. And Maddie likes it ten times more, I know she's an eating machine, but I've never seen her eat with such enthusiasm! The new vet said to give it a couple of weeks on the new food and see what happens, and then maybe make an appointment to have it checked out. :cool:

pitbulliest

I would personally get a second opinion from another vet..but just remember that alot of vets will also want you to spend your money on various exams and whatnot..be smart..when you go see another vet, say that you just came here for a second opinion and that the previous vet you saw thought it was nothing to worry about..don't say things like "I don't trust the other vet..I think this is serious."...this is an excellent opportunity for these guys to rip some money off of you..

Also, my dog has had a couple of big dry growths on her body...one on her elbow and now she has one on her toe..I was sooo paranoid since my dog is so precious to me...my vet told me the same thing...just to leave it and see what happens...eventually the one on the elbow just dried up and went away and now the big one on her toe is still there but it doesn't seem to bother her so I'm not touching it...it'll probably just go away..

Like I said...get a second opinion but then YOU should make the decision..remember that alot of these vets really are after the money...even when your dog is perfectly healthy.

Members online

No members online now.