Origin of the word 'terrier'?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Origin of "terrier" = "Terra" = "Earth" .... earth dogs, ones that go to ground and work independently to go after vermin.

Never heard a Pap called a "terrier" either ... same as you, heard them called "Squirrel Spaniels" ... but not "terrier". Wonder if the person writing the caption got the dogs mixed up? I have heard Maltese called "Maltese Terrier" (and it looks like that came up in the link you posted) ... not sure of the origin of that though.

Catsi

Wow, that is interesting.

I thought terrier was from terra (earth), understandable seeing that a lot of terriers were breed for the purpose of 'going to earth' for rodents and larger animals.

Was there any time in history that Paps were used in this capacity. I know they have some spunk, but I thought they were breed as companions.

Edit - Snap TGR!

Catsi

Yeah, I have heard Maltese referred to as Maltese Terrier, although it isn't correct.

For a second I thought maybe it was a typo and was supposed to read Papillon and Maltese Terrier.:confused:

MPP

petperson
Well, there's always Mia. She seems to have an affinity for earth. Or mud, anyway.

Huh. Probably not the same thing.

adojrts

Okay more like what do you think this caption means?

from here: Encore Editions - Maltese Terrier Fine Dog Art Canine Paintings, Prints & Engravings and Giclee Canvas Dog Print Reproductions of Maltese Paintings & Prints

I have never heard them referred to as terriers before. Spaniel yeah, spitz even. I think it is likely there is some terrier in the makeup too but I'm just curious.
:rofl1: I told you she was part terrier :rofl1: now talk about a throwback!!:D

I have been taught the word 'terrier' means bred to kill with out exception. soo unless they are now used to kill things.... those two are not terriers....

Dekka

Just try me..
The word does come from terra, or earth. Terriers were earth dogs. Terrier does not mean to kill. A working JRTs job is not to kill the quarry, but to bolt it or keep it busy.

Just think what people will think of things posted about dogs way in the future. There are people talking about teacup chis etc. Just cause something is old doesn't mean its right.

Members online

No members online now.