It just hurts.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Bear is the happiest dog ever! She's oblivious about all bad things, loves everyone and everything, and just is always smiling... except for one thing.

I took her for a walk by a road and everytime a car drove by she would screech, crouch as low as possible and shake :(

It makes me hurt seeing her like that. It hurts david horribly too, he blames himself a little for leaving her with his brother, even though it was some S*!%head that let her off her leash in the first place. :mad:

He was almost at the point of tears :( He ended up just carrying her back to a quieter street. I've never seen a reaction like that from her before, she's been so traumatized of cars now. :(

Luckily, she is still fine riding in a car and it's really not a big inconvenience at all, she lives in a pretty quiet area, it's just so sad to see her like that.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
aww The poor baby! Hopefully she will eventually get over her fear, but I can understand how it would hurt seeing her that way. Poor thing. Give her lots of hugs and cookies for me!

CaliTerp07

You can work through it! The same way dogs who are aggressive towards cars or have super high prey drive towards them can be rehabbed, so can dogs who are super scared.

Like anything, find the threshold. How does she do if you're 100 feet from the road? 50 feet? 10 feet? What can she handle? If she doesn't panic at 100 feet from the road, stand there and wait for a car to go by. Then give her cheese or chicken or pets or a toy or whatever her favorite thing is when the car comes. Scoot forward 6 inches, and repeat. Baby steps.

Lucy was at a point where we couldn't go for walks because she was so stimulated by all the cars. Now, the only thing that really gets her is buses. Everything else we very slowly trained out of her using the methods above.

Brattina88

:( That's so sad, I bet it was really hard to see... ((((hugs)))) to you guys :)

I agree with Cali!! Try the clicker ;)

What CaliTerp said!!

BB, agree it must be hurtful to see Bear so scared. :(

Really hope you try CaliTerp's suggestions though ... if it worked for Lucy it can work for Bear too!!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks for the advice! She's my sisters dog now, which will be an awesome place for her. She is moving up to B-ham in July where there are so few cars it's ridiculous. I'll pass on the idea to her. We are already working with Art to desensitize him to people, so I already know how to do it. :)

She's obviously has had a bad experience . Do you know when ?
Yeah, almost 6 months ago when she was hit and dragged under a car and then dragged herself to the sidewalk and sat there until someone finally called Animal control. :(

It's the first time since she's been back with us that i've seen her do this. It was just so heart breaking to see! :(

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If you were to use ttouch, and a combo of the calming pressure points together at home with practice it might help her learn to relax and not be so afraid. IF you want to know more just pm me and I will walk you through what i have learned or I can point you towards some places you could find the same information. IT may take a while but with practice you might be able to help her over it.

I sure hope that Ann the dog I found hit on the highway is able to walk down the road some day. I Don't know if she will have the same fear. EVery single day I walk mine on busy roads on purpose it is in hopes to put a grand respect for cars in their heads. I don't know if it will work or not. I have them sit when I see a car approach, or if sitting isnt' possible, we move to the side turn away from the car and hold absolutely still.

WHen I first got Victor he was terrified of everything and would flip right out of his collar. THat was why i explored ttouch in the first place. I was at a loss of what to do.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Also the ttouch wraps might help the hips return to a proper balance and walk. I went to a workshop last week where a dobe had been hit. THe leg broken as the lady said to cottage cheese from below the hock to the foot. You could see after the wrap was put on how much better the dog walked, and when it was removed the dog walked with improvement. IT would be worth looking into.

Members online

No members online now.