Crappy situation... advice?

Melissa_W

On Monday night we found a stray female mixed breed roaming around without a collar or tags. She looks like a Chow/Boxer mix or a a Chow/Staffordshire Bull Terrier mix? Here is the kicker - She is also in heat! :yikes: We couldn't leave her out there like that, so we took her in and put her on our second level enclosed deck.

We've been trying to find her owner ever since, or at least someone who will take her. First, we called animal control. Apparently, they are on vacation until the 6th. The police officer I talked to recommended that we just turn her loose! :yikes:

Obviously we weren't going to do that. So we called the county animal shelter. They said they would put her down after 72 hours. Next, we called the SPCA. They would give her 5 days.

We made flyers and posted them in the area, placed an ad on petfinder, and reported her as found to the shelters. Her owner has not claimed her yet. We've contacted every rescue in the area and they are all full. So now we are thinking about trying to get a rescue to sponsor her, to pay for her vet bills, until we can rehome her ourselves. Right now, it is tough though. Kai has not been neutered yet (we are responsible with him, but we wanted to wait until he matures to neuter him) so she can't be in the house. It is supposed to get into the 30s at night this weekend, so I am worried that it will be too cold for her. We put a plastic crate out there for her, but that is the only protection she has from the elements. Do you guys think it will be too cold for her outside? I thought about crating her inside, but she also has diarrhea, so that could make a real mess. Besides, her scent drives Kai wild.

I am taking her to the vet this afternoon for a checkup and to scan for a microchip. But I doubt she has one, since her owner allowed her to get free with no collar or tags while in heat! :mad:

It's just awful, because we really aren't prepared to take on another dog, especially a female in heat. But the alternative is to send her to her likely death... and we just can't do that. We are not even supposed to have more than one dog... hopefully our landlord will be understanding until we can rehome her. I want to try to get her spayed as soon as possible so that we can bring her in... there is also the possibility that she is already pregnant. Would she still be bleeding if she were? How will we know when her heat cycle is over?

Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

And of course, here she is:

She is a real sweetheart. She very friendly, smart, and she knows how to sit.

Spiritus

Bless you for taking this girl in :)

If she's bleeding bright red, she likely hasn't gone into standing heat yet, but then again, every girl is different. If you're going to spay her, I would consider doing it right away. If you can keep her until you can find a home for her, then you can ask an adoption fee to cover the cost of her spay.

Heat cycles last approximately 21 days. You have no idea how far she is into her cycle, and since you have an intact male in the house, I would keep them separated for the full 21 days.

Melissa_W

Thanks for the info! Yes, she is bleeding bright red. Hopefully she will be spayed before 21 days are up. I guess we should give the owner a little more time though... how long do you all think is fair? I want to get it done ASAP.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Thats awesome that you are trying your best to help this happy little girl.

Spaying while a bitch is in heat is a risky thing to try. THe vets here wont do it because she has the possiblity of bleeding to much during surgery.

They usually wait a week+ after the heat cycle is over for her organs to get back to "normal size". If she was a cat - there would be no worry at all for a spay.

So I think your stuck with her in heat...

Is her vulva fairly swollen?

Shes so lucky you have her right now though! :) She seems like such a happy girl too! :)

Definately keep Kai away from her - one for the obvious reason, but also if Kai isn't on any wormer or parasitic protection. Especially if she has loose stools.

Melissa_W

Oh, thanks for telling me that, Summer. The only reservation I have about that is what if she's already pregnant? Will I be able to tell? An yes, her vulva definitely looks swollen to me.

I am going to have the vet check her for worms when we go in this afternoon.

joce

She is very cute! I'm sure if you get her fixed someone will grab her right up.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Wow, she is really pretty! What a good soul you are. I have no advice since all the options I would suggest you've already done. Can you maybe get a friend to hold her for a few days indoors? That way she would be warmer and away from Kai.

bubbatd

What in H*ll is wrong with these owners !!! Bless you for helping her ! I hope she's chipped !! One mixed stray I had was !

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Have you tried any rescues down my way ?? towards Charlotte area....

I forget how far away you are from me, but I know its not that far, but if you found one down my way that was willing to take her, I could meet you halfway somewhere and take her where she needed to go...

Last edited:

Barb04

Super Moderator
What a great thing you are doing for this girl. Let us know how you make out at the vet.

Saje

Island dweller
She's gorgeous. Are there any rescues that will travel a little to help? Maybe try a rescue forum. Sometimes they have transportation networks set up. Wish I could help!

daaqa

lurking near the surface
aw, what a sweetie. how great of you to take her in, but i don't envy your situation. a friend had a reverse situation and because of mix up with the kids, ended up with a pregger dog!

just a thought, she looks more like shar pei mix than chow mix, with that short hair. might help you find the owner...

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Bless you for taking her in. Hopefully you will be able to find her a home soon. Any responsible owner would have been doing everything they could to find her, so I'm guessing her owners don't really deserve a dog.

By the way, I don't see any chow in her. She's more likely to have shar pei, given her coat and ears and face and general build. The partially pigmented tongue could be from a shar pei or could be just something she has (many other breeds have pigmented areas on the tongue - I've seen it in purebred labs and shepherds). But I really don't see any chow there.

As far as being in heat - even if you had her spayed right now, it wouldn't stop her from attracting male dogs. She would continue to be "interesting" to males and the potential for injury to her if she were to tie with a male right after being spayed is not worth it. In addition, the uterus becomes swollen to much larger than normal during the heat cycle and spaying at this point is a bigger (and more expensive) surgery.

Good luck with her, and I can imagine that your male is not acting too normal at this point!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Melissa_W

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Have you tried any rescues down my way ?? towards Charlotte area....

I forget how far away you are from me, but I know its not that far, but if you found one down my way that was willing to take her, I could meet you halfway somewhere and take her where she needed to go...
I have tried general Carolina rescues, and all seem to be full. If you have any suggestions, suggest away! I'll tell you if I've contacted them already.

What a great thing you are doing for this girl. Let us know how you make out at the vet.
She wasn't chipped. :( But I didn't really think she would be. She rides in the car so nicely... I can't believe someone lost her! She was a bit afraid of the vet, so I maybe she has had some bad experiences before? Basically we got her a rabies and DHP-Parvo vaccine and some wormer. We're going to bring back a fecal sample in two weeks. The vet also said to wait to have her spayed.

She's gorgeous. Are there any rescues that will travel a little to help? Maybe try a rescue forum. Sometimes they have transportation networks set up. Wish I could help!
I will try that Saje, thank you.

Bless you for taking her in. Hopefully you will be able to find her a home soon. Any responsible owner would have been doing everything they could to find her, so I'm guessing her owners don't really deserve a dog.

By the way, I don't see any chow in her. She's more likely to have shar pei, given her coat and ears and face and general build. The partially pigmented tongue could be from a shar pei or could be just something she has (many other breeds have pigmented areas on the tongue - I've seen it in purebred labs and shepherds). But I really don't see any chow there.

As far as being in heat - even if you had her spayed right now, it wouldn't stop her from attracting male dogs. She would continue to be "interesting" to males and the potential for injury to her if she were to tie with a male right after being spayed is not worth it. In addition, the uterus becomes swollen to much larger than normal during the heat cycle and spaying at this point is a bigger (and more expensive) surgery.

Good luck with her, and I can imagine that your male is not acting too normal at this point!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Those were my thoughts too Melanie - if they haven't found her by now, they aren't looking. We have done everything we can.

Thanks for identifying one of her breeds. I thought she must be chow because of the purple tongue... didn't know other breeds could have that!

Kai is actually being pretty good, all things considered!

Members online