Conversing with your dog...

Gig 'Em Ags

JP Cattle Co.
Howdy Folks!!! Today I saddled-up one of my horses, gathered all my dogs, and went out for a leisurely ride. We all settled in atop a hill overlooking the Guadalupe River, and, as I sat there with my dogs (all ten of them), my thoughts turned to fact that despite my passion for them, it pains my heart that we cannot converse in a manner such as humans. What-oh-what would they sound like? What would they say? How would they reveal their personalities via a.......voice? Yes indeed they do express themselves which we can interpret, but to actually have a conversation with them---D**M, one can only dream!!!

They would say "Stop feeding us this "dog food" crap!"

and

"Yes, i DO laugh inside when you fart and try to blame it on me"

:D

shazbot

not so newby
I wonder the same thing, but also wonder would we get along with them as well if they could talk?

I enjoy the fact that the dogs and I don't converse like humans. We have things sorted out far better between us - no misunderstandings, no bickering, to occasional disagreement over what takes priority is easily ironed out . . . all in all, we have a mode of communication that is far superior to the spoken or written word ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think they do talk, we just need to learn their language. I believe victor said when another dog came into "HIS" clay guild. and didn't have to be good, that it was unfair. He grumbled griped and moaned his opinions on the big oaf's behavior while HE had to stay on his rug. I had to spend several years of my life with my jaw demobilized due to tmj. I couldn't talk, it hurt too much. It is amazing what you hear when you cannot participate. It is amazing how much noise we really make without saying anything at all. Yet a dog can say so much in one whimper, or wag, or gaze.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
we don't even listen to each other;) I envy you Gig 'em, that sounds like the best way to spend a morning. Victor would be so happy to have such a place to run. AS it is i took him to GG's to play with Shaffer in his yard. I hope your weather was as lovely as our is today.

Kase

Good points Smkie and Renee

I believe you can 'talk' to animals, just a different kind of communication.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I agree with Smkie and Renee!

Lizzie and I "talk" all the time...just in a different way ;)

I like the saying in Zooms Siggie...."There is no language barrier between animals and the people that love them." :D

But also I think you have to be intune with your dogs to really know them and they know what you are thinking and we know what they are thinking!

At least that is the way it is with Lizzie and I! Maybe I am just really lucky to have a dog like that :p

LoveMyKees

Love My KEEShond
I think it'd be sorta weird if dogs could talk...all the secrets we share with them now could be out in the open if they could talk. Which wouldn't be too great for some of us :D

Max would probably say, "Give me a treat, take me for a walk, and I'll be happy."

Gig 'Em Ags

JP Cattle Co.
Howdy Smkie!!! It was quite a lovely day spent with the dogs; they ran around and I vegetated for a spell.

we don't even listen to each other;) I envy you Gig 'em, that sounds like the best way to spend a morning. Victor would be so happy to have such a place to run. AS it is i took him to GG's to play with Shaffer in his yard. I hope your weather was as lovely as our is today.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I totally agree with Renee, Smkie, and Lizmo. Dogs say so much, it's a matter of whether you listen to what they are saying. What they communicate is very powerful, you just have to be in tune with your dogs.
My dogs and I communicate in many ways, and that's where the quote already stated ("There is no languange barrier between dogs and the people that love them") comes into play. I fully believe that.

.Alice.

I have a stronger relationship with my dog than several of my friends. I think it's to do with the lack of paranoia. If the dog could talk I couldn't assume what she's saying is nice! But yeah, you can tell a lot from a dog and communicate in a different type of way if you just look. I think it's really important, one of the ways we can tell if our pet is sick.

For example, Jessie is epileptic but I can tell when she is close to having a fit, and get her somewhere safe. It's very useful.

However if she could talk it would be a lot easier to tell XP. Dogs would probably become the master race, most have a lot more sense than some humans.

I talk to Jess though, in a high-pitched voiced. It's the same voice mothers use to talk to young babies, called mamamese or something?

Members online

No members online now.