for raw feeders

Saje

Island dweller
Is your dog's poop white? Mine is. Buckshot says it's cuz of all the calcium. And it's getting stinky which I can't explain.

Kathy29

I'm not entirely sure but I think poop being too white means they are getting too much bone in their diet.

Saje

Island dweller
I hope not! I'll ask mordy when she comes back from her vacation.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
If they're straining when they poop, you should worry about too much bone. But the stinkiness suggests a lot of muscle meat? Gonzo's poops are mostly white and don't have a real odor, but they're also easily passed, so I'm confident that his calcium:phosphorus is balanced and he's getting enough meat.

Saje

Island dweller
They aren't straining at all and probably don't get as much muscle meat as they should. I went to Mordy's forum since she's away and it sounds like they are getting too much bone and need more muscle meat.

Kathy29

That's what I found was happening with Loppi when she was eating a full-time raw diet. Whenever she'd get chicken wings with more bone and little meat, her poop would be whiter.

Wiggle Butt

Love my Labs
They should not be white coming out, that is an indication of too much bone. Turning white after coming out is completely normal.

usurp

Belgian Shepherd Tervuere
well i was originally feeding my doog only muscle meat and his poop was always soft and not formed and very stinky. Then i started feeding him only meat with bone and his poop automatically became this white/beige color and very dry like it crumples as soon as u pick it up. No smell.

Now I "think" his diet has gotten better because his poop is regular color again but very well formed and doenst stink...

maybe someoen can find a website with pics of how poop shouldnt look like and how it should look and what white or brown poop means etc..

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Yeah... I meant to say what Sarah said, it just didn't come out right. =/

Coming out, it should be typical in color & firm, but it should break down and turn white within 1 day in the sun.

It's sad that we obsess over dog poo this much. But, definitely try adding a meal of muscle meat for all of the boney meats you feed and see how everything "goes".

DanL

My 3 dogs turns white after it's been in the sun a couple days. Other than that when it comes out it's usually lighter brown and firm. I've seen Gunnar have crumbly ones, after he's had a pork shoulder which has a large bone in it.

What a great topic- only dog lovers would talk about this! :)

W

whatszmatter

intersting topic, but turning white after its on the ground is not a big deal and completely normal. Here comes another wolf/dog comparison. Wolves have 2 distinct types of scat, the first is nothing but a brown liquid, you wouldn't see any reminants unless you were looking. That's because they eat all the meat and organs first.

Then they eat the bones and the rest of the stuff and they have a very dry scat that turns white and dries up very quickly.

PFC1

Saje said:
Is your dog's poop white? Mine is. Buckshot says it's cuz of all the calcium. And it's getting stinky which I can't explain.
HELLOOOO!! It's POOP!!!

:)

Saje

Island dweller
PFC1 said:
HELLOOOO!! It's POOP!!!

:)
this is what you've bumped this thread for? lol

And yes poop can be rather odourless on a good diet. It's not too stinky now that I've added more meat to the bone.

Members online