I have such a soft spot for old dogs.

elegy

overdogged
I met this guy today at the pet store and he's a big, sweet, lovable oaf who needs a home. I am overwhelmingly overdogged. I wish I had infinite space and infinite money and could give all the old bullies in need a place to crash.

Bailey08

Oh, gosh, he's just lovely. <3 Is he being fostered?

I've been overwhelmed with pets before, and I know how much it sucks. So I won't encourage you to add another one. But if you want me to, I'll jump in with both feet! ;)

Brattina88

awwwww.... I have a soft spot for the oldies, too. ;) He needs a nice retirement home :)

elegy

overdogged
I think he's living at the shelter, but they have a satellite adoption center where they take dogs during the day (I don't know if just on weekends or not) to get them out in the public eye.

I really cannot take on another dog. Even if I had the resources, I don't think I'd *want* another dog. But he was sweet and he deserves somewhere with soft beds and good food.

Poor boy :( The thought of him sleeping on a concrete floor, with no one special to love him, not having many more years ahead of him, knowing that so few people would take a senior . . . I wonder how he ended up there? How anyone could be so cold . . .

elegy

overdogged
It could be as simple as his owner died. I got my first oldster because her owner had to go into a nursing home.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Poor boy :( The thought of him sleeping on a concrete floor, with no one special to love him, not having many more years ahead of him, knowing that so few people would take a senior . . . I wonder how he ended up there? How anyone could be so cold . . .
I often think the same thing. I fostered an emaciated, 10 year old German Shorthair Pointer... his owner had died, and the dog spent a week inside his home with him. The guys parents didn't even WANT him :( It was like pulling teeth to get them to drive like an hour to sign paperwork so we could send him to a "doggy retirement home"...

It could be as simple as his owner died. I got my first oldster because her owner had to go into a nursing home.
You wonder, though, with a dog that elderly, wasn't there anyone in the family who gave a d@mn? Or had an ounce of compassion? Or cared enough about their parent/grandparent/whatever to take care of their dog for them?

Snark

Mutts to you
Poor guy... I have all I can handle or I would love to take him. I prefer adopting older dogs, they're past the puppy crazies, housebroken and usually are willing to go for a walk or just chill out in the house.

I just hope there's a special place for people who would dump an older dog. We found an elderly brittany wandering down our road years ago. We didn't think she could have walked too far so we picked her up and drove around, stopping at houses to see if someone had lost her. No one had, no lost signs were put up, no one responded to our found signs. Vet said she had to be around 16 - we kept her and she died a few months later. Poor girl...

Members online

No members online now.