Anyone heard of Verus?

KellyB

I went to the pet supply store today to see about getting a new food for Kovi. The girl recommended Verus and gave me a sample. I've never heard of it before, but it seems to be in line with the other high quality brands. The store also sells products like California Natural and Canidae (sp?) so they carry the better brands. I'm just not sure about this one, any feedback would be good. Here's the info I could find:

VeRUS Advanced Opticoat Diet
Feeding Guidelines (per day)
12 lbs & under ½ cup
13 - 25 lbs ½ - 1 ¼ cups
26 - 50 lbs 1 ¼ - 2 ¼ cups
51 - 75 lbs 2 ¼ - 3 ¼ cups
76 - 100 lbs 3 ¼ - 4 ¼ cups
Metabolizable Energy 1592 Kcal /lb = 398 per cup
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (min) 22%
Crude Fat (min) 11%
Crude Fiber (max) 5%
Moisture (max) 10%
Available in 8 lb, 20 lb & 40 lb Bags
Ingredients
Menhaden Fish Meal, Potato, Ground Barley, Ground Oats, Dried Beet Pulp, Menhaden Fish Oil
(preserved with Mixed Tocopherals, Ascorbic Acid and Rosemary Extract), Flaxseed Oil, Dried Kelp,
Garlic, Salt, Parsley, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Flaxseed
Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate,
Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
VéRUS Advanced Opticoat
Menhaden Fish Meal and Potato
Cold water fish, menhaden oil and flaxseed oil; all rich
In valuable EPA, DHA, and ALA Omega 3 fatty acids.
When metabolized by your dog they produce less
Inflammatory ecosonoids, reducing itching and other
discomforts of allergies.
No other pet food in the market today contains as high
a level of Omega 3 fatty acids. Clinical studies have
shown the benefit of Omega 3 fatty acids for a wide
range of health problems including: allergies and
autoimmune conditions, arthritis, inflammatory
diseases, dry hair and dull coat, yeast infections,
atopy, heart problems and cancers.
Advanced Opticoat is not just for dogs with allergies
or immune mediated disorders.
It works wonders on dogs with eye tearing stains!
All dogs love the hearty taste of fish,
potatoes, garlic, kelp and parsley.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've never heard of it. The one thing that jumps out at me with this food is how low the protein is... I personally wouldn't feed a food with lower than 27% protein.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It's low protien, dried beet pulp is really high up in the list and so is salt. It's a better food than many out there, but still middle of the road.

KellyB

Ok. I see what you mean, especially about the salt.

As for the protien I was also looking at Canidae which has 22% I think and Eagle Pack which looks like 26% . . . or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I'm just really trying to do what's best for my dog.

Jessie . . . what do you feed? I have a Chi-MinPin mix, so I'd be interested in your suggestions.

Maxy24

as far as Canidae goes they have a few different formulas lamb and rice has 26%, Platinum only has 18.50%, All life stages has 24% and Lamb and rice has 21%. Eagle pack (holistic) also has a bunch of different ones chicken meal and rice has 24%, Duck meal and oatmeal has 23%, Lamb meal and rice has 22%, Anchovy, sardine and salmon meal has 22%, Large/giant breed puppy has 23%, Large giant breed adult has 24%, and senior care has 26%. So none of them reach 27%. What I don think is that if you add stuff like eggs or some meat to the food it would boost it, I still think they are great foods though.

Maxy24

I've never heard of it. The one thing that jumps out at me with this food is how low the protein is... I personally wouldn't feed a food with lower than 27% protein.
You feed TWO (timber wolf organics) right? They have two formulas with higher than 27% they are Lamb, barley & apples with 28% and Wild and natural with 34%.

Maxy24

i looked at some of your other post jessie and you also feed Orijen, the puppy has 40% protein, puppy large has 42%, adult has 40%, Senior has 42%. See kelly B they are out there (although Orijen is not very well known yet and I'm pretty sure it is very expensive). I still think Canidae and Eagle Pack are very good foods and if you have access to them I would suggest you feed one of them.

KellyB

Ok. I may just take a glance at some of the different Eagle Pack formulas. Thing is my dog does not like Lamb . . . picky little bugger!

Anyway, I appreciate the input . . . the pet store/feed store I go to offers samples, so I may just grab a sample of the wellness with chicken.

Thanks Again! This kind of stuff is exactly what this forum is so great for!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Yes, I feed Timberwolf Organics and Orijen. Two of my dogs eat Orijen, which is 40% protein and grain free. One is on Timberwolf Organics. We switch between Lamb and Apples and Dakota Bison (which I lied, it's 26% protein and I thought it was 27%). I would love to move her to Orijen as well, but she doesn't tolerate chicken as well as other protein sources.

Timberwolf Organics does offer free shipping in the US, which is nice. Orijen is sold locally in our doggy bakery.

Members online

No members online now.