American Bull Dogs

R

RedyreRottweilers

Here would be my codicils:

DO NOT get an AB if you don't want to spend time training a dog. Lots of it.
DO NOT get an AB unless you have excellent secure fencing with locked gates.
DO NOT get an AB unless you buy from a responsible breeder who screens you diligently.
DO NOT get an AB unless and until you understand what drives these bully breeds.
DO NOT get an AB if you don't know what BSL is, and how it can affect you with this breed.
DO NOT get an AB unless you are totally committed to spending the time and resources that will be required to properly train and bring up one of these dogs.

ABs can be great dogs, if, like most breeds, they are properly bred, socialized, trained and confined. Good dogs are not born. They are made by careful socialization, training, management, and confinement. Did I mention TRAINING? :D

All breeds have pros and cons. Research carefully, get the true scoop on these dogs from people who are BREEDING THEM, and then make your decision based on that.

Good luck!

tinies12

I will be researching everything before I buy one. I am not going to get another pup unless I have what it takes to care for him. Thankyou all for assisting me in this area.

Amstaffer

I will be researching everything before I buy one. I am not going to get another pup unless I have what it takes to care for him. Thankyou all for assisting me in this area.
You have made a good start coming here. There are a lot of knowledgeable dog folks here.

Since it's your husband looking for a 'muscle breed,' he should be doing the research and the soul-searching to discover if he's ready for any dog, let alone one this big. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's very common for men to be attracted to 'macho' breeds - frequently the pit bulls and their kin, and also the size dogs like Great Danes and the 'wolf' dogs like Malamutes. I've seen the results of this attraction if the man isn't prepared for ownership or thinks it'll be like owning his childhood lab: my dog nearly had her throat ripped out by a female American Bulldog who'd already attacked and tried to kill 3 other dogs, the people down the street had a Mal who bit a neighbor's Cocker Spaniel in half, and I have neighbors with a Dane who's gotten loose and gone after a child. Any dog is a responsibility; the breeds your husband is interested in are a duty.

Again, not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'm a little concerned that the dog would be your husband's yet you're doing all the work so far :)

tinies12

Now you hit the nail on the head!!!!!:lol-sign: He's like a kid, stomping his foot wanting something and when he has if for awhile it's not good enough.

That is why I have asked these questions..... I truly feel that Sasha is more than enough for me at this time. So am I ready to get a big dog at this time No!!!!

What I will do is give him the info I have recieved I will stress too him that DOGS are a living breathing life and not a base ball that you can throw around. I am pretty sure I will stress my points and make them clear.

I know that if he decides to get the dog I will be taking care of him and if that occurs his papers will be placed in my name. That way I know if anything goes wrong he is and will be taken care of properly

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
He's like a kid, stomping his foot wanting something and when he has if for awhile it's not good enough.
Tinies, my fiance wants an 'army' of Pomeranians when our future Chow Chow is older.

So I know how you feel, haha!
Though, at least mine doesn't want an army of Mastiffs! Pomeranians, at least, I can scoop up! LOL

Miakoda

No ****!!!:yikes: I know Jerry has had a lot of problems with the township regarding her pit. She's complied with the rules left right and center but they keep on picking on her.

I am going to check into it forsure now and get what I need prior to purchasing the pup. I would hate for some stupid idiot cause issues just because they think they can!
Tinies, American Bulldogs are usually included in "Pit Bull" bans. The vast majority of the general population thinks they are "pit bulls" as they share similar characteristics because the AB was in fact "constructed" using the American Pit Bull Terrier as a base breed.

The AB is a wonderful breed. But they were bred first & foremost as a working breed. Most have a very high drive & if not properly exercised, both physically & mentally, they can become very desctructive. They also have a more guardian-type temperament than your typical short-n-wide (english) Bulldogs do. Also, many ABs are dog aggressive. It's a "bully breed" trait & although not all are DA, it lies beneath the surface so to speak.

I will pm you with the name of someone who is very involved with ABs & point you in her direction.

tinies12

Thankyou I would like to get intouch with the breeders. We are selling our home and moving to a 25 acre farm. Since the actions of our neighbour this is the best for all concerned. We take ownership of the farm March 31 2007. So yeah we could work on locating the right breeder to secure we purchase the right pup.

Members online

No members online now.