Tolcat

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
When i was 22 I had my first two trainees dogs who wern't mine i was working with for aspiring mushers. At the time I had Tolcat and anouther dog named Foxy. Foxy was already a year old but Tolcat was 12 weeks. Alcot was bred from a very respectable line of working dogs and I was excited to have him on my ranch. He was bought by a man who was wanting to get into Ski Jarring (strange but hey if he was into it ). Tolcat was like a demon with fur he was a growling ball of fur when his owner brought him. The first halph of any dog I train for someone else is just between me and the dog and we go through everything (Tolcat lived with me until he was alittle under 2 years old). Tolcat was a constant challenge he was like a horse wearing a saddle for a first time when I put his harness on for the first time he bucked around and was snarling and then crying and pawing I swear it was the most dramatic thing I ever saw. It took me a good three months to even get that dang pup in a harness and working peacefully. He was just here to challenge and I knew why his owner handed his training over to me any inexperienced person would be totally dominated by this dog.

He was friendly never bit me or anything like that and never fought with the other dogs. He just was hard to get to listen and follow instructions i can not count how many times that dog drug me when I was training him in ski jarring. The second halph of any dogs training who is not mine is for the owner to come in when the dog is ready and trained. This is mainly for new mushers or mushers with a problem dog I calling it training the owners. With new mushers they learned and perfect putting on the harness, giving commands, the initial sled pulling or ski jarring, care of the dogs feet and other equipment. Mushers with problem dogs I just show how to handle the dog in a different way that works for both musher and dog.

Tolcat and his owner meshed nicely and as far as i know are doing great in competitions and such. i will never forget that little black and white demon dog and it was so hard seeing him go but also fullfilling.

Here's some pics of him before and after.

Tolcat not long after he got here

Tolcat not long before he left me to go on to his new life

Pic was taken on a visit to my sisters and he was very into jumping up on the dumpster lol. Thats how much I loved him I took him places like i took my own dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
bet it was hard to let each one go..i know it would be for me....like fostering a child..a little of your heart is with each one.

Members online