Switching to raw!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ok, so I've decided that living so close to two places that supply good raw meats in a cost effective manner are a decent reason sign that it's time to work on switching Izzy to raw. Here's what I've got right now:

Beef Liver
Chicken Liver
Lamb Stew meat (Which is basically small RMBs)
Beef RMBs
Large Turkey Legs
Plenty of Chicken Thighs
Pork Ribs
Ground Chuck

How should I integrate these into her current diet of kibble? Should I make one meal a day raw and another kibble or should I mix the two and even it across two or three meals?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Do you want to continue feeding her kibble?

I've found transitioning to raw works better if you just switch, and use digestive enzymes/pre and pro biotics as required, no kibble at all.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Plain yogurt is good for pre and pro biotics, for digestive enzymes you'll need a product like Prozyme.

Not all dogs even need that though, Sierra has a stomach of steel and seems to handle food changes without even blinking.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
This morning she was making sounds like vomiting that woke me up soooo I think I'll be giving her some yogurt! She didn't actually bring anything up but I don't want her to feel sick at all. Also, is one meal a day ok for a puppy or is a two meal split a better idea? She's 4 months annnnd 1 day today!

I have always found that two meals are better then one, especially with puppies... it is better on their stomach and also they work up an appetite, and the hungrier they are, the more they seem to chew and get into things they shouldnt.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I'm trying to get her to chew her food! She chewed for maybe 5 seconds yesterday on a piece of lamb I gave her and swallowed to the next thing I gave her I held on to so she had to chew pieces off. I'm sort of excited :) Now I have to get Justin to feed her a raw meal in the morning instead of kibble! Or maybe Kibble mixed with yogurt for two days would be good before doing straight raw?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I would just switch. But thats just me.

Sounds good! I love raw with Blaze, even though I'm not able to do it for every meal.

I'm sure you know the whole 3-4% thing. I've actually not done this, since I just feed what I think is enough for Blaze, and it seems to be working fine.

Chicken backs are easy and good for them, too. Actually, I saw whole chickens at Sams the other day for 79 cents/pound. And you get lungs, kidneys, and liver :) But, don't feed much at all the first time of organ meat. I fed it to my dogs for the first time last week and one had such runny poo it was just dripping out. The other threw it up. And it was about a tablespoon in total of organ meat :eek:

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Go in there, ask for one, pay I think like $20-$40 (depending on where you go, I think Costco is more expensive).

I dunno, never gotten one as I use my mom's :p

CaliTerp07

I NEEEEED a sam's/costco card. Seriously. How do you get one?
A costco card is $50 for the year, but you can return it at any time if you decide that it's not worth it (and get a full refund). So, pay the $50, try it for a month or two, and decide if you spend enough to keep it.

My mommy's bought mine for the past couple years as a Christmas gift to Zach and me. Honestly, we probably don't buy enough stuff to save $50, but we do get a few free meals each year from all the yummy samples! (So that might equal $50!)

Staff online

Members online