So who owns this shindig anyway?

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Update: I heard back from the owner. They put the quick reply and the chat room on the list of things to look at.

Please understand that they have other "irons in the fire" but they did acknowledge the requests and put it on the list.

Would you like to explain what makes our messages hard to be read?
Eleonora I find your posts confusing and hard to read to be honest. So I tend to skip over them. But it might be helpful to think of a forum as a bank in a way. You need to make deposits if you want to be able to withdraw.

If you want the forum members to spend their time on your (or your friend or how ever that work's problem) you have to think what is in it for us? I love to help people but I want to know that my effort is appreciated. Updates on how the problem is progressing, actual discussion and as Xpaenx said trying the suggestions are very helpful. But also seeing those members who ask for help trying to help others or give support or even appreciate other's posts.

Its a community. If you chose to give nothing back to the community and just take, why should the community invest in you? (simplistic but I find it is fairly accurate on how forums work)
We have recently started to write in other threads. We can find more threads where to write but my friend would like to discuss also about this:
If you could suggest something in this thread, my friend could at least try it and we could tell you about it.>> If the thing what you suggested worked, my friend could learn to train her dog better.>> Eventually my friend might be able to help/guide others. We have written more about that in that thread. We have also written in this thread.

I'm not sure how to say this without being blunt, so I'm just going to say it. People on the forums aren't machines that just answer questions, they don't get paid to answer questions.

Most members here chit chat and become friends--they don't ask many questions, they mostly just talk. So when they DO ask questions, people are more receptive. Also, the answers given for the questions are given weight and not just quickly dismissed. There is a mutual respect amongst the members and that is why they ask them questions--that is also why they listen to the answers.

If people take time to read your situation, think about the best approaches, and type them out--they want to the person to at least try them. When someone comes on the forum and only every asks questions and instantly dismisses every piece of advice given, they will quickly stop getting advice.

We're here to relax and enjoy ourselves--this forum is our break from our day to day lives that give us stress.
If you have a question, make a thread asking the question.
"Questions Thread" basically defeats the purpose of a forum. That's like having a "Posts Thread."
Aren't The Venting Thread and The Musing Thread such? When we put that suggestion, it was rather a thread idea. My friend was not only talking about our questions. She meant that it would be for questions that would be too short for own thread.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Would you like to explain what makes our messages hard to be read?

We have recently started to write in other threads. We can find more threads where to write but my friend would like to discuss also about this:
If you could suggest something in this thread, my friend could at least try it and we could tell you about it.>> If the thing what you suggested worked, my friend could learn to train her dog better.>> Eventually my friend might be able to help/guide others. We have written more about that in that thread. We have also written in this thread.

Aren't The Venting Thread and The Musing Thread such? When we put that suggestion, it was rather a thread idea. My friend was not only talking about our questions. She meant that it would be for questions that would be too short for own thread.
When somebody says "write in other threads", they mean write in other threads things that are relevant to that thread. Not go into other threads to ask people to go look at your threads.

ETA: as far as what makes your posts hard to read, it's a number of things. We've already told you that bolding a bunch of sentences doesn't do anything but make it more annoying to read. Talking saying " my friend" just makes it difficult. Also, every time you reply, using so many quotes, most of them are quotes of yourself. "We told that"... And then 5 quotes from yourself,now with bolded sections, makes it hard, especially when most of the time, that was taken into consideration. If you think a part was missed, try typing it out in a different way. Repeating yourself time every time, this time bolded, is going to ensure nobody even tries to read your posts. That's my 2cents, anyway.

Dekka

Just try me..
And really if you could get your friend to post directly that would also help a lot I think.

I would hazard that one of the reasons that your posts don't get as much attention is because all the 'my friend' and such make for jarring confusing posts to read.

When somebody says "write in other threads", they mean write in other threads things that are relevant to that thread. Not go into other threads to ask people to go look at your threads.
When we told that we could still write in other threads, my friend meant your threads. We linked those threads only because my friend was commenting one of Dekka's messages. S/he told that my friend should try your suggestions and tell you about it. However, we had not recently discussed about actual tricks and behaviors where you could have suggested something my friend could have tried. My friend didn't know that we should not have linked those threads when she was commenting the following message:

I love to help people but I want to know that my effort is appreciated. Updates on how the problem is progressing, actual discussion and as Xpaenx said trying the suggestions are very helpful...
ETA: as far as what makes your posts hard to read, it's a number of things. We've already told you that bolding a bunch of sentences doesn't do anything but make it more annoying to read. Talking saying " my friend" just makes it difficult. Also, every time you reply, using so many quotes, most of them are quotes of yourself. "We told that"... And then 5 quotes from yourself,now with bolded sections, makes it hard, especially when most of the time, that was taken into consideration...
We hadn't used bolding for a while except when we created one thread in The Dog Training section. We thought that it wouldn't matter if we bolded only the questions.

So, do you think that my friend's thread idea would be stupid?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
You shouldn't be posting about your issues with getting replies in this thread, it has nothing to do with this thread's subject.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Eleanora... I don't know if its the language barrier. Or maybe you are your friend and it's a social barrier, but try and read what people are saying to you.

Basically they're not responding to your posts as they're too formal and too long and often posted in strange places. You (or your friend?) needs to start chatting informally and friendly and try joining in with other people's threads.

For example.... Try commenting on someone's photos, or brags, or just in the general chit chat.

Otherwise all people see is you asking about you.

You don't need permission to start threads. Just do it and see what happens. But I can predict that until you start joining in more, become more human and less robotic, I do think you're going to get much response.

Imagine you're in a room with these people. You wouldn't just talk about yourself and talk so formally.

I hope you understand.

Eleanora... I don't know if its the language barrier. Or maybe you are your friend and it's a social barrier, but try and read what people are saying to you...
It's not a language barrier and if you are still wondering why we write about "my friend..." so please read our thread "My friend and Aspergers'" and you may understand a little better.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
It's not a language barrier and if you are still wondering why we write about "my friend..." so please read our thread "My friend and Aspergers'" and you may understand a little better.
I didn't comment on that... More about the content of your posts, how and where they are posted.

Does your friend have no interest in joining in the informal chat?

Have you thought about having your own account so people get to know you as well???

Do you also have aspergers?

Do you have a dog?? How did you meet your friend? What are YOUR interests?

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Well if it's not a language barrier, you just need to actually read what people are writing instead of going 'but we said..'

Yes.mwe kmow what you said. Now read the replies and doing something other than repeat yourself by quoting yourself. It's just the most bizarre way ever to speak on a forum. You post large chunks of text and tell everyone their advice won't before even trying it and then ask for MORE advice. At some point people give up lol

I'm actually glad someone pointed out how difficult it is to read these posts.

Eleonora, I agree with Dekka. I tend to skip passed your posts because the way you write out your questions makes me feel extremely confused. I have ADHD and if things aren't straight forward, A-B then it's difficult for me to wrap my head around it.

It's great that you have questions and you're willing to learn how to train your dog, but I think we'd all find your posts easier if there wasn't so much jumble...

__

On Topic - I would LOVE a QR box... like truly.

I didn't comment on that... More about the content of your posts, how and where they are posted.

Does your friend have no interest in joining in the informal chat?

Have you thought about having your own account so people get to know you as well???

Do you also have aspergers?

Do you have a dog?? How did you meet your friend? What are YOUR interests?
My friend doesn't mind if I use the same profile when telling about my dog aso. So, here's some answers for your questions about ME.

I didn't know that people would like to know me better. :D However, I created a thread about my dog, Hertta, who is now about 5 months. If interested, you'll find the thread here.

Well, I don't have Asperger's myself, I don't remember if we had mentioned that helping "my friend" is my part-time job.

And my interests.. well there's a lot, but now I'm concentrating on teaching my "little" puppy.

But if you have more questions, ask, so I'll answer..:)

You asked: "Does your friend have no interest in joining in the informal chat?" Of course my friend can discuss also about other things than Lotta and her training. She can do it whenever she finds suitable threads...

Well if it's not a language barrier, you just need to actually read what people are writing instead of going 'but we said..'

Yes.mwe kmow what you said. Now read the replies and doing something other than repeat yourself by quoting yourself. It's just the most bizarre way ever to speak on a forum. You post large chunks of text and tell everyone their advice won't before even trying it and then ask for MORE advice. At some point people give up lol
We had just asked advice on those things in our thread "My friend and Aspergers".

I'm actually glad someone pointed out how difficult it is to read these posts.

Eleonora, I agree with Dekka. I tend to skip passed your posts because the way you write out your questions makes me feel extremely confused. I have ADHD and if things aren't straight forward, A-B then it's difficult for me to wrap my head around it.

It's great that you have questions and you're willing to learn how to train your dog, but I think we'd all find your posts easier if there wasn't so much jumble...

__

On Topic - I would LOVE a QR box... like truly.

Dekka

Just try me..
Most of us know why, its still very difficult to read. Is jarring and makes me give up.

I work in customer service and have helped many a person with a disability through an aide worker. You always talk as if you are talking to the person and they reply as if it was the person with the disability talking. If all you are being is a conduit, then just be a conduit.

Always quote what you are talking about above your comments. See how I put yours on top, and then replied. Its a common forum convention (on forums everywhere) to help refresh people about what you are replying too. Its not a big deal until you quote various responses, then its helpful to know which reply goes with which comment.

Why not have your friend make an account or take over this one? You could use your account to help clarify. Then instead of saying my friend you could say "Spot and I were wondering if trying this would be better..." And we could quit having all the vague generic "my friend" which is so weird.

Most of us know why, its still very difficult to read. Is jarring and makes me give up.

I work in customer service and have helped many a person with a disability through an aide worker. You always talk as if you are talking to the person and they reply as if it was the person with the disability talking. If all you are being is a conduit, then just be a conduit.

Always quote what you are talking about above your comments. See how I put yours on top, and then replied. Its a common forum convention (on forums everywhere) to help refresh people about what you are replying too. Its not a big deal until you quote various responses, then its helpful to know which reply goes with which comment.

Why not have your friend make an account or take over this one? You could use your account to help clarify. Then instead of saying my friend you could say "Spot and I were wondering if trying this would be better..." And we could quit having all the vague generic "my friend" which is so weird.
My friend wants to comment/discuss about those things rather in our thread because they don't relate so well to the subjects of this thread. The only reason we have written about them in this thread is that my friend has been commenting other's messages. So, we have just answered to those in our thread.

ACooper

Lol, you can set your watch by these threads popping up.

I don't think the forum is quiet because of the quick reply etc. It's quiet because Facebook. ......snip......
This is the biggest factor IMO too Dizzy.

I have <..this much time..> for interweb relations and it's most efficient and convenient to check facebook. I get friends, family, and chaz addicts all rolled into one. Shaza'am!

Also, the big clump threads are a thing too.

I do TRY to get in here and look around as often as I can, and when I get a report......but really, chaz addicts keeps me more informed than chaz these days.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I stick to the forums because I really dont like the drama of FB versions of forum groups, although I am a member of a few, I mainly lurk on them. for some reason the forums just ... feel better.

But I will admit that I do see the allure of FB because its easier, and with the mobile app and all its "right there" as opposed to having to log on your browser and pull up a website, or tapatalk.

I'm on tons of forums like this and tons of facebook groups.

I am more active on these forums, really. I just like the way forums are set up. Yes, I think Facebook is easier, but I feel like I enjoy having things like avatars, signatures, forum sections, and like you get to know people better on the forums than in a lot of facebook groups with how large they are and how a lot of posts in the groups get a lot of likes, but not too many comments (same for the forums with the like option, may I add, but I actually am not on too many with that option that I frequent, so it's not a big concern for me on forums).

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I'm on tons of forums like this and tons of facebook groups.

I am more active on these forums, really. I just like the way forums are set up. Yes, I think Facebook is easier, but I feel like I enjoy having things like avatars, signatures, forum sections, and like you get to know people better on the forums than in a lot of facebook groups with how large they are and how a lot of posts in the groups get a lot of likes, but not too many comments (same for the forums with the like option, may I add, but I actually am not on too many with that option that I frequent, so it's not a big concern for me on forums).
Yeah I know! everyone likes but no one comments LOL, plus on some groups are "join only" even if someone is a member of the forum you have to get approval and all that, its a PITA sometimes.

Staff online

Members online