Frustrated-vent.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Annie is frustrating me so much the last few days, it seems like we're making no progress on house training. :( She'll go outside and pee and then come in and pee in the house ten minutes later, I just don't get it. She doesn't seem to mind peeing in her crate either. She'll wake up and pee before she even makes a noise. I guess it's time to try the umbilical cord method.

Awww we can be a support group together! Vix has been like that although this week seems to be doing better *knock on wood* She even went through a week where she would pee in her crate cause she knew we'd have to take her out then. The bugger would stare right at me, drop her bum down, piddle a wee bit and then just keep looking at me. Only lasted a week though since sometimes I would just leave her in there with the pee for a while longer than she wanted to tolerate it LOL

As frustrating as it is just stay diligent and she will get it eventually. Something else I found helped was ever weekend we travel (usually to stay at my bf's) so her schedule gets rocked completely. Come Monday its relaxing to be back on the schedule she's familiar with but she seems to have "forgotten" her potty tricks from the week prior. If I start the Monday off on a good note catching all her washroom needs the rest of the week seems to be fine too. Its not that the travel really stresses her out, its just different and gets her little brain working enough to forget the week and not let whatever antics she tried become habits.

Maxy24

The thing that helped Tucker the most with peeing was boosting the value of his treats. He was just getting dry, hard dogs treats for going potty outside and these same treats were used for regular training and rewards.

So we bought Natural Balance rolls and cut those up into treats that we use ONLY for pottying outside. That helped tremendously. He also went out every hour and now every two hours otherwise he would still likely pee inside.

Pooping is a whole nother ball game. He often doesn't feel the need to waste his fun outside time pooping but I think it's getting much better, you just need to restrict his accress to the yard to one section until he goes, then we can explore the rest. I think my parents don't do this, they let him alk the whole yard and when he does finally poop they take him in, which is esentially punishment for pooping. I also love taking him on walks because I know at the end he's completely empty, he poops, pees, and then marks until he's as empty as empty comes, so then you can let your guard down a bit. But every dog is different. For instance if he pees outside, there is no chance he'll pee inside again for almost two hours. Right after we switched to the good treats that was an issue though as he'd try to only pee a little so he could pee again and get another treat. But sometimes he got taken in before the next pee so he'd stil have a relatively full bladder going in and would have to pee inside. So we made sure to only give treats for the first pee and that problem is gone.

I would do the umbical cord though, if my parents had done that Tucker would probably be housebroken by now.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
The thing that helped Tucker the most with peeing was boosting the value of his treats. He was just getting dry, hard dogs treats for going potty outside and these same treats were used for regular training and rewards.

So we bought Natural Balance rolls and cut those up into treats that we use ONLY for pottying outside. That helped tremendously. He also went out every hour and now every two hours otherwise he would still likely pee inside.

Pooping is a whole nother ball game. He often doesn't feel the need to waste his fun outside time pooping but I think it's getting much better, you just need to restrict his accress to the yard to one section until he goes, then we can explore the rest. I think my parents don't do this, they let him alk the whole yard and when he does finally poop they take him in, which is esentially punishment for pooping. I also love taking him on walks because I know at the end he's completely empty, he poops, pees, and then marks until he's as empty as empty comes, so then you can let your guard down a bit. But every dog is different. For instance if he pees outside, there is no chance he'll pee inside again for almost two hours. Right after we switched to the good treats that was an issue though as he'd try to only pee a little so he could pee again and get another treat. But sometimes he got taken in before the next pee so he'd stil have a relatively full bladder going in and would have to pee inside. So we made sure to only give treats for the first pee and that problem is gone.

I would do the umbical cord though, if my parents had done that Tucker would probably be housebroken by now.
I think hounds really need this bolded part--their noses get the best of them, along with puppy ADHD. So letting them know where their spot is to eliminate lets them know why they are out there--also agree with higher value treats, and then some sniff/play time after going poop.
I also tied the dogs to me for a good while--both to better watch them and learn their "signals", but also for bonding and helping them to learn our 'house rules".

Staff online

Members online