Does this sound OK?

Debi

I bought ground turkey (we don't eat red meat..lol..so the pups won't get it either) I mixed it with rice, shredded carrots, and added a bit of minced garlic. Think this is ok to add to the kibble?? Is the rice ok? (I just had a ton of it in the pantry)

Yogurt is on the shopping list. (Dave does the shopping....do ya not just love that man??) I explained to him it's for the dogs....how much would you give per day? or maybe every other day??? THANKS!!!

I guess you're cooking it? The garlic needs to be cooked for the dogs. Raw isn't good for them, although a tiny bit shouldn't hurt them if they get it by mistake since they're both large.

Sounds good to add to the kibble, but be prepared for them to look at you like you've lost your mind the next time you offer them plain kibble! lol. If we gave Purdue a kibble he didn't like, or fed him the same one too long, he would get a mouthful of it, come and stand in front of whoever fed him and just dribble it out of his mouth piece by piece. Definitely telling us something!

There are probably some scientific ways to figure out how much to trade out with the kibble, but I don't know what the proper formula would be. Common sense tells me to figure out about how many calories, protein and carbohydrates were in the turkey goulash vs. the kibble and adjust it that way.

Of course, during the cold months, as long as they're still spending some time outside some extra calories are really needed.

Debi

Neither one of them would ever dream of eating just kibble. I've resorted to that if I have to be away overnight...and I suppose they eat it or starve...but on a daily basis......NO WAY. I had mixed canned and kibble..but I'm trying to give them something better for them. Actually, Ham seems like he could stand to gain a few pounds. You know, he is still a gangly looking kid at 13 mos. Mz. Addie, however, I am watching carefully...she has gained (ah, so like me) the past 2 months...due to the lack of her usual running. I only added a small amount...because it was different and I didn't want to upset tummys.....BUT, WOW..did they love it! I just wasn't sure about the rice. I didn't know raw garlic was a problem. It is cooked, however. Thanks, Renee. :)

No problem, Debi.

Are you subtracting some kibble from Addie's portion? The leaner turkey meat mixture might help keep her weight in line.

Hammie sounds like he's right on schedule. All legs and ears - and feet? Sometimes his snoot looks like it's taking over his head? LOL!

Debi

LOL, Renee...Hammie is all HEAD, FEET and tail coming at you! With giant ears leading the way!!!!!!! Yep, cut down a bit on Mz. Addie's kibble...going a bit leaner. Hammie is becoming quite the handsome young man...he really is a beauty! Their coats are so shiney...and I'm proud to say that they are really a handsome pair. I'll have to post some new pics soon. :D

Some dogs don't do well with rice as it doesn't digest well. Barley is a good carb source, too - for you and the dogs, lol. I even like to use it in place of breadcrumbs or other fillers when I make something like meatloaf. You can even use potatoes for a change.

Blondie

Blondie will eat rice if he's really hungry but if not, he'd just "look at you like you've lost your mind" like Rennee says ;) I've heard bread and rice can give them skin problems, is that right or just something a vet made up to make us all buy his products?

Debi

so barley or potatoes would be better?? about the yogurt question.....again........how much, how often?? Thanks! :)

After Farley had surgery a couple of years ago the vet wanted him on a bland diet & had me give him cooked hamburg & white rice. Needless to say he loved it & so did Chloe (can't give it to 1 and not the other! :rolleyes: ). I did have a little problem when I started to change him slowly back to his regular kibble - he wanted no part of the kibble! :)

Actually, the 1st nite I cooked up a big batch of it, my 2 young grandsons asked what I was cooking cuz it smelled so good to them. I told them dog food & asked if they wanted any. Being boys, they said yes. Their mother was mortified when they went to school the next day & told their friends that they had dog food for supper! :eek:

Saje

Island dweller
I love barley! I wish I could buy it in giant bags like rice. I think it's better than rice. I never thought to give it to my pups. Next time...

Blondie - the rice is difficult for some dogs to digest. With Blondie's health problems it's probably better to give him something else.

There are all sorts of things that are better than rice - like oats!

Debi - a tablespoon or two a day each wouldn't be too much. LOL - you should see mine with a Yoplait container! I always leave some in the bottom for whichever one is hanging around - or for Bimmer if they're all there, not only is he the senior dog, he's the only one with enough manners to rate first treat!

Members online

No members online now.