Should female dogs hump things?

Hi,

My friend has a 12 week old female Border Collie. Recently she has started to hump cussions and her toys, (this is the dog btw, not my friend).

She hasn't contacted a vet yet but she would like to know if anyone has ever heard of this type of behaviour. I've certainly never heard of it myself.

She would like to know whether or not this is common, and if so, what does it mean? Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

James

Saintgirl

Tell your friend not to worry, it is normal behavior. Humping is not always a sexual thing, it can also be a dominance thing. She may just be staking a claim to the cushions or her toys. It will probably pass, but I do know a couple of female dogs that are older that continue to hump, usually other dogs, just as a dominance thing. So assure your friend that it isn't abnormal.

Shiva takes spells of doing that - usually when she or Kharma are coming into season. She'll also mount another dog if she thinks she's not being properly deferred to - definitely her little show of dominance. If I could draw like Smkie I'd draw Shiva in black leather, lol!

Last edited:
Definitely a normal behavior, but I remember when our little yorkie girl did it the first time we were all like "oh my goodness" she's a female and shouldn't be doing that... Well needless to say we found out otherwise.

Members online

No members online now.