potty pads and new puppy

beck

Hi I'm hoping for advice from anyone with experience using potty pads. I have an eight week old puggle who I am training to go on potty pads for two reasons. 1) The breeder I got her from says it's too cold out for her right now (it's about 15 degrees here). 2) Since she's so young I don't want to expose her to the commonground outside of my apartment complex where many dogs do their business and since she hasn't had all her shots yet.
Ok, so here are my concerns...I'm worried that since I'm training her on potty pads now, she won't be able to learn to go outside later. Also, when she poos on the potty pad, she instantly starts eating it. And I am right on top of her when she does it, but she always manages to get a bite (sorry about the gross factor here). And, if I swoop the potty pad up before she eats it, then it never fails that since I've distracted her, she runs onto the carpet to finish pooping there. Any advice is appreciated.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The poo eating is kind of normal, sort of a "recycling". I've heard it said that the quality of food can affect that, since some of the lower qualities aren't absorbed as much and thus still smell very strongly of dog food (to the dogs at least) and so they eat it again, because after all...we put it in their bowls to eat, right?

The puppy pads...your concerns are quite legitmate, both about the harder housebreaking later and the commonground. I believe that as long as you don't let her eat the poo she finds out there and if you wipe her paws (and any other part that touched the grass) off with baby-wipes as soon as she goes back in, that will help alleviate the risk of her picking something up.

I'm sure others will have more advice.

Louise_H

I have the exact same problem with my 4 month old puppy, she eats it as well, they are so quick!
I'm at the stage now where I am trying to get her to go outside rather than on the mat inside, the only thing I find helpful is if I walk her after mealtimes and for a little while. It's probably best to keep her inside, I asked the vets advice as I wanted to get her out asap and start training her and they said that the risk is high if you have a lot of foxes around as well as they carry the parvo virus. Also of course dogs that haven't had their innoculations pose a risk. I think you should hold on, she should be able to go out within the next month so it isn't for too long now. I personally didn't even risk taking her in my back garden as we have a lot of foxes in the area and they can pick it up from sniffing and licking, things that puppies love! also the bacteria can live on the ground for months. But of course it's up to you.

Members online

No members online now.