Vaccine Opinions

julia37

Hi there
One of my friend's senior dog is going to be 12 this year. She is due for her annual check up next month. Now she don't give vaccines except for rabies or usually get titers done and vaccinate if the titer comes back low.

However now that she is going to be 12 is it even worth checking the titers because she don't plan to vaccinate her even if it comes back low. My friend will however still get her rabies because here it is required by law. She will also get her geriatric blood work her heart worm/lyme test and of course the exam and a thyroid test.

So I simply posted this topic hereto know others opinions on this. What you say... is she doing right?

M

mutts

Your new on here.... hmmm, that pretty much means everyone on this forum will pretty much ignore you until you contradict anything that they are saying and believing in their little dog obsessed world.
A dog doesnt need NEARLY as many vaccines as a vet will tell you. Imagine if we got booster shots EVERY year. I don't think she needs to worry about the annual parvovirus booster. I have my dogs shots done every 3 years and some even think that's excessive.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I think the lack of replies might be due more to the massive number of posts all of a sudden with no intro and the link that looks spammy in the sig...

That being said, when my dogs hit 10yo we stop vaccinating and don't do titers unless I need them for boarding purposes. They get rabies vax'd every 3 years due to law but that's pretty much it.

I dont do titers, just vaccinate for rabies every three years. Not sure what kind of dog but with my 12 year old lab mix, I am done. No more rabies even.

~Tucker&Me~

Your new on here.... hmmm, that pretty much means everyone on this forum will pretty much ignore you until you contradict anything that they are saying and believing in their little dog obsessed world.
I am sorry... What?

The members here are very welcoming of new people, that's a pretty unfair thing to say :confused:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I am sorry... What?

The members here are very welcoming of new people, that's a pretty unfair thing to say :confused:
Wasting breath ;). They like to post stuff like that to get attention, I'd just ignore it.

I wouldn't worry about titres or the vaccines other than rabies as required, we don't do vaccines unless we need to for something

crazedACD

I agree with your friend, I'd say she's about all set for the rest of her life. If she was going to be extremely active out in the community, or in a parvo or distemper ridden area, I would say check titers and vaccinate accordingly.

I wouldn't worry about titers either at that age. But if your friend is worried about her dog going out in the world, she can get nosodes for parvo and distemper, it's the homopathic way to build the body's immune system in a safe way.

Members online

No members online now.