Labs and companions

tweetylov

Hi, I am Tanya and Hubby is Jerry, we have a female Lab named trigger who is a little under a year and not completely trained (but really close) we were thinking of getting another Lab. Our concern is, is it too soon to get another one? Anyone have any advice here we would much appreciate it :)

bogolove

I think it all depends on the person. My dog is a little over a year old and he has a friend down the street that he loves and he can get down right feisty when he has not played with her in a few days. Sometimes I think he would love to have a buddy of his own. But I am not ready myself, so I really think it just depends on the person. It sounds like you are ready and I am sure your dog would love to have a buddy. Are you getting another lab?

Ash47

Taco Dog
Bogo is right. It really depends if you are up to it or not. I know from experience, Labs are wonderful dogs. But, they take A LOT of work. If you have the time and patience for another dog, go ahead! Like I said, and I'm sure you know, Labs are great dogs. They are always happy and smiling. I know your dog would be open to having a friend. Right now would be a good time to get another one so they can sort of grow together. If you wait too long, the dog you have now could become too overprotective of her territory, and not want another one infringing.
Also, definetely get one around the same size as your Lab. They love to play, sometimes a little rough. So another Lab would probably be the perfect choice. Not to mention, you already know the breed's personality and characterisics. Hope this all helps!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If it were me.. i would finish training this dog...for one more year..most labs are rambunxious (sp?) the first two years and it is hard enough to get one to have his basics down pat without introducing another. He would be still young enough to have loads of fun with a new pup at two....and would be a better role model to the puppy. That is just my opinion for what it is worth, but it is much easier to train the second when the first is older and experienced. Kind of like waiting four years between children.......each gets his full babyhood without compitition

Members online

No members online now.