human food???

Lou

what veggies are dogs allowed to eat? or better yet .. what human foods are they allowed to eat?

I'll bet the best answer to this question would lie in some of the raw feeding sites that Serena has stored in that head of hers.

Common sense would dictate that you shouldn't feed your dog junk food, and there's an article posted here about the dangers of feeding grapes and raisins to dogs. Chocolate is a No-No (there's another thread with a link to an article if I remember correctly), and you have to be careful about letting them eat apple cores because the seeds contain small amounts of arsenic. Peach, apricot, nectarine and plum pits are also poisonous, I believe. Iceberg lettuce isn't good for them (but it's not particularly good for us, either.)

Chicken bones are dangerous, as are many cooked bones. A dog shouldn't have a bone in a situation when it's unsupervised.

And of course, you should avoid giving your dog anything that's been treated with preservatives or other additives.

See? I told you she'd have good answers.

I hadn't heard about tomatoes being harmful. Purdue, my first GSD, used to drive my Dad crazy by picking and eating his ripe tomatoes. He lived to be 16 years old, but they may not have had much effect on him because of his size.

Does that extend to cooked tomatoes? Bear was an absolute fiend for anything with Marinara sauce!

I don't really worry about my big dogs getting raw chicken bones since they have those huge, crushing molars, but I'd probably be wary of them with a small dog.

I've had to pull a couple out of my Grandmother's Chihuahua's mouth; a risky operation as it had a foul temper! The little demon would climb and steal stuff off the kitchen counter when your back was turned doing something else. I never did figure out exactly how she got them, but Nanny was having a series of mini-strokes and probably just lost track of the fact that she'd set chicken out. Somehow I always got drafted for hazardous dog duty! (lol)

As far as the cats eating stuff like that, well . . . we've always had these huge monster felines. If they wanted to crunch little frail chicken bones, it was never a big deal, although when we gave them cooked chicken I always pulled it off the bones or held the carcass while they cleaned it. We always got tickled at my Gonzo. He was the Mac-Daddy of the big cats; wouldn't chase anything smaller than a Doberman. Before he moved in with me I saw him hunting in the field behind the apartment I lived in at the time. He caught a huge jack rabbit for his dinner. I never worried too much about his ability to crunch anything he wanted! Cats are amazing. They look so frail and delicate but they can be so incredibly tough and resilient.

Members online