Prized Show Dog Poisoned At Show?

I found this on another dog forum, and it is sad that this poor dog died, regardless of the situation. This whole post is copied from another person on another dog forum, so please ignore any mistakes/typos.

http://gma.yahoo.com/westminster-dog-show-competitor-poisoned-021241960--abc-news-pets.html

Here's the article itself, for anyone who doesn't feel like using the link.
But be warned, it is long:

The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show that earlier this month made headlines by crowning an affenpinscher as Best in Show for the first time ever, is back in the headlines today after the unexpected death of another competitor.

Cruz, a 3-year-old Samoyed who competing in his first Westminster this year, died Feb. 16 while competing in another dog show in Colorado -- just four days after the Westminster competition ended. Both the dog's co-owner, Lynette Blue, and his handler, Robert Chaffin, suspect the dog was poisoned.

"We have gone through all the steps of where he was, what was done, and he was always on a leash," Blue, 67, who has co-owned Cruz since birth and has raised and shown the fluffy, snow-white breed of dogs since the 1960s, told ABC News today. "He was never outside. He was always with the handler."

Cruz, short for his show name, GCH CH Polar Mist Cruz'N T'Party At Zamosky D, was competing at the 18th Annual Rocky Mountain Cluster Dog Show in Denver when he became sick, vomiting blood. Chaffin, his handler of over one year, who was also at the Westminster, took him to an emergency veterinary clinic, where he later died of internal hemorrhaging. The dog was cremated and a necropsy was not performed.

"We can't figure out a timeline where it could have happened while he was in the room or being walked," said Blue, who said she had no insurance policy on Cruz.

The internal hemorrhaging, along with vomiting blood, could be a symptom of rodenticide, or rat poisoning, according to medical experts.

Blue said the manager of the hotel where the Cruz and Chaffin stayed in New York told her the facility does not use rat poisoning. The dog, who was ranked seventh in the nation among Samoyeds, according to Grand Championship Points issued by the American Kennel Club, was also not walked outside or in any of the city's parks, Blue said, which could have been sprayed with rat poison during his stay in New York.

But according to Dr. Tony Johnson, a clinical assistant professor of emergency medicine at Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, Cruz's symptoms of internal bleeding and eventual death could also be attributed to natural causes such as cancer.

"Two of the things that will cause bleeding in the abdomen are cancer and rat poisoning and people often attribute it to poisoning as opposed to cancer," he said. "We see a lot of dogs that have bleeding in their abdomen due to cancer so that is a possibility."

Johnson added that it is "not an uncommon scenario" for an animal to not have an autopsy done, "but in the absence of a toxicology or pathology report," as in Cruz's case, "it becomes speculation," he said.

Blue said the only time Cruz was not being watched by Chaffin while in New York was when the dog was "benched" at Westminster, a time when the dogs are required to stay in an assigned area with other owners and breeders.

Cruz's handler, Chaffin, whom Blue says she "absolutely" does not suspect was involved in Cruz's death, is convinced that the dog was poisoned and said there was a four-hour window during which the dog could have been poisoned, but not by a competitor. Instead, Chaffin said he is suspicious of an animal rights activist he encountered at the dog show who "was just scowling at me and telling me how cruel I was."

"All of our competitors in the breed are good people," Chaffin told ABC News. "I don't think it was someone in the dog world. There are lots of crazy people out there."

A representative for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), which has sent people to Westminster in past years, brushed aside Chaffin's suspicion that an "animal rights activist" could have been responsible for Cruz's death.

"The accusation is ludicrous and he hasn't even identified the person as an animal rights activist," Lisa Lange, senior vice president at PETA told ABC News. "It was someone at the dog show who criticized him."

Lange said, in a statement to ABC News, that PETA protested at Westminster, in part, against what it sees as the glamorization of pure-bred animals.

"(M)ore than 7 million cats and dogs are entering U.S. shelters every year with half of them being euthanized due to a lack of good homes – homes that are filled with dogs from breeders and puppy mills because of Westminster. There's no excuse for breeding more dogs while homeless mutts (and purebreds) are literally dying for homes."

Blue said the show provides dog owners the option to hire security guards during their stay in New York, a sign that "it could be a dangerous situation." The owner was more open, however, to the possibility of other motivations.

"It could be some crazies or some animal rights fanatics," she said. "Or it's always possible -- he was a top-winning dog, so it's always possible, those things have happened -- that other people in the dog show world try to knock out top competition. ... You just don't know."

Chaffin criticized the Westminster Dog Show for lack of security.

"If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't go to Westminster," he said. "I won't go to that show again. It's not safe for dogs."

Westminster, in a statement issued to ABC News today, said, "We have never, to our knowledge, had an incident at our show where a dog has become ill or was harmed as a result of being poisoned.

"We are ultra cautious to the point where we do not allow dogs to be off lead at any time while at our show," the statement read. "Unfortunately, no autopsy was performed, so there are a lot of unanswered questions. No other animal which attended our show was reported to our show veterinarians with any incident of serious illness. We have been made aware that no rodent poison is used at the Piers and pest control is maintained through trapping."

Cruz, who did not place at Westminster, held the designation of "Grand Champion," a title given to dogs earning a total of 25 points with three major wins at other shows. Cruz had competed in at least 30 other dog shows over the past year, according to Blue.

After Cruz's death, the owner of a fellow competitive dog, not in Cruz's breed, came forward to offer a $2,000 reward for "any information that could lead to the arrest of the person who might of done this to Cruz," calling the possible poisoning a "worst nightmare."

Blue said she filed a complaint with the New York Police Department last week but is still awaiting a follow up call from the agency. A representative for the NYPD told ABC News it can find no record of a complaint filed by Blue.

"People just need to know they need to be aware of where their dogs are," said Blue. "This thing has just left a hole in my heart. It has taken some of the joy and fun out of showing and raising dogs. It's something I'll never get over."

Red Chrome

I know this dog. It really affected the Sammie world. My friend was supposed to use him on her bitch.

BostonBanker

While it is incredibly tragic, I'm shocked that they didn't explore the possible causes before cremating the dog. A breeder friend of mine lost a dog suddenly a couple of weeks ago, and made sure to find the answer, since it could affect her breeding program.

I don't know, I'd be expecting to see more dogs sick/dying if it was intentional poisoning.

crazedACD

While it is incredibly tragic, I'm shocked that they didn't explore the possible causes before cremating the dog. A breeder friend of mine lost a dog suddenly a couple of weeks ago, and made sure to find the answer, since it could affect her breeding program.

I don't know, I'd be expecting to see more dogs sick/dying if it was intentional poisoning.
I have to agree. I don't know what the reasoning is, but a necropsy should have been performed before cremating. It could be anything. I have my doubts that it was intentional poisoning.

This! If I thought my dog was poisoned I would want to find out by what!

My thoughts as well. I know that if that had been one of my dogs, I'd have had a full necropsy and tox screen done, if for no other reason than my own peace of mind, but more importantly like you said in case it was something potentially inheritable that I'd want to know was in my lines.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The whole thing is a tragedy, but to walk around accusing folks of poisoning or failed security etc. then opt to NOT do a necropsy is quite a contradiction in behavior. Especially considering how much money had to be spent to campaign the dog to Westminster, etc.,...to pass on a necropsy when foul play is suspected seems strange at best.

Grab

There are other things besides cancer and rat poison that can cause vomiting blood. HGE being just one. Years ago my late Ginger had some sort of mystery ailment that caused her to vomit the most horrendous amount of blood and clots in copious quantities. Testing never pinpointed the issue (it may have been some duck jerky treats, but they were never on a recall list) other than it being an infection. Frightening, though. It never said anything about other bruising on the dog, or petechiation, which I'd expect to see if it were far enough along to allow vomiting of blood were rat poison involved. I'm really surprised that they did not do a necropsy. It's extremely sad, but to throw out poisoning and then do no testing seems foolish, at best.

Although, I can say that people blame poisoning for almost every dog ail. I don't think it applies in this case, but I cannot count how many vomiting Parvo pups we have brought in because 'the neighbor must have poisoned him!"

Aleron

The whole thing is a tragedy, but to walk around accusing folks of poisoning or failed security etc. then opt to NOT do a necropsy is quite a contradiction in behavior. Especially considering how much money had to be spent to campaign the dog to Westminster, etc.,...to pass on a necropsy when foul play is suspected seems strange at best.
ITA It's rather unfair for them to come public saying their dog was poisoned at WKC when they have absolutely no idea what the dog actually died from. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have had further testing done and a necropsy. I'm really, really sad that the dog died and feel for the owners. It just seems very irresponsible to go to the media with this story and not have facts on the cause of death.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
ITA It's rather unfair for them to come public saying their dog was poisoned at WKC when they have absolutely no idea what the dog actually died from. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have had further testing done and a necropsy. I'm really, really sad that the dog died and feel for the owners. It just seems very irresponsible to go to the media with this story and not have facts on the cause of death.
Unfair and deceiving. They don't know whether the dog was even poisoned, much less the location. It'd be one thing to know their dog was poisoned and, by process of elimination on where he's been the last few days, speculate that it was at Westminster...but they are just guessing from the word go.

I agree completely. Especially since there are other possible causes, saying 'Oh someone poisoned my dog' seems a bit, for lack of better term, risky. More so considering there was no looking into what happened before the dog got cremated. But I'm extremely sad that a dog died. :(

Miakoda

This.

Something doesn't quite ring true.

Red Chrome

I know the owner and can say I find some of these comments highly offensive. She lost her dog to something horrible. Leave it at that. I can say, it was confirmed poisoning. Gotta love media articles that leave out details.

There's "knowing" it's poisoning and then there's knowing it's poisoning. If you're going to make a public accusation about something malicious that happened at a public venue, personally I think it behooves you to gather as much tangible proof as possible. It's very sad that the dog died and I don't think anyone is saying they didn't, but obviously not getting the necropsy done leaves the door open to suspicions about motive.

adojrts

Does anyone know if they can pinpoint on a tox screening? Or the cost of it?

A few years ago a friend lost a pup and it was suspected to be poison and we took her body to the University for testing and necropsy. At that time (if my memory serves me right) they told her that it would cost thousands to do tox screening and which poison it might be and that was a big IF.
We brought the pup home to be buried with a huge vet bill and no answers. That was about 10 yrs ago, is the testing better now?

Red Chrome

There was no necropsy done. You don't have to do a necropsy to figure cause of death when the vet confirmed poison of some sort.

Ado, my understanding la that the precise testing is still lacking with no concrete answers and lot of money. Sometimes when sure answers aren't available even with testing, it's best to let your best friend rest in peace.

But please, everyone continue bashing this woman for making a decision she felt best at the time.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
As far as I know (this dog lived in Colorado, and his owners are friends of friends), this dog DID have a necropsy and they found rat poisoning in his system. They believe it was done at Westminster because of the timing.

From this article, I can see where you all got these ideas, but the real story is different.

Members online