Herding instinct test

Who has done a herding instinct test on their dog(s)? I really want to do it with Hudson just for S's & G's, but am not sure how to go about finding someone that does it, especially for a dog that isn't an Aussie or BC.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
We just found a trainer and had them do a regular eval vs a "herding instinct test" per se. You might have the best luck finding a trainer through the AHBA or AKC sites since you don't have a "typical" breed.

Taqroy

I got the girls done by random chance mostly - someone at the training facility set it up and then sent out a mass email. I've found several different ones by looking at breed clubs but I never attended because I didn't know anyone. Lol.

I have the videos from Mu and Tipper if you want to see them. Had I known how little I would have to do with the whole process I probably would've just gone to one of the breed club ones. But I was really comfortable with the guy doing the test and he was super knowledgeable so it worked out in the end.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I might be doing this on Saturday if I can get my shift at work covered. Bamm was instinct tested years and years ago and did really well, but finding a place that will allow a mixed border collie has been frustrating. A friend of mine found a place out this way that is doing an instinct testing day that will allow herding breed mixes so I want to take him. You have to have your dog instinct tested through them before you can start actually doing any real herding on their farm.

MicksMom

Where in NYS are you again? I know there are people at Top Dog who have done/are doing herding. I can ask if they know of anyplace.

I have the videos from Mu and Tipper if you want to see them. Had I known how little I would have to do with the whole process I probably would've just gone to one of the breed club ones. But I was really comfortable with the guy doing the test and he was super knowledgeable so it worked out in the end.

Definitely! I love videos

SaraB

I had a non-official one done by our herding instructor who is also an AHBA and AKC herding judge (I think she might be a judge for more venues too, just not sure).

FG167

Definitely! I love videos
I had a non-official one done by our herding instructor who is also an AHBA and AKC herding judge (I think she might be a judge for more venues too, just not sure).
Ours were unofficial by the same type of person...videos!

Limit
[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWMWjO2Spxk[/YOUTUBE]

Kastle
[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdIgeL9BKk[/YOUTUBE]

And Eden...she is a very bad example lol
[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QBczZNiU2IU[/YOUTUBE]

Taqroy

Here's Mu.

She turns on about 30 seconds in - it was by far one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
MuBeginning

Here's the rest of her run. About 20 seconds in she goes head to head with one of the sheep and had to leap out of the way lol. The rest of it is just her going in circles.
MuHIT

And Tipper.

This one is pretty boring. She was a LOT more cautious than Mu and spent a lot of time smelling the sheep and running about at top speed saying hi to all the people lol. Oh and barking at me. Because nothing is complete without a bark and bounce.
TipperBeginning

This is the very tail end of her's - about 40 seconds in the light bulb goes off and she's like OH I CHASE THESE THINGS. And then she gets tired from running amok during the first five minutes. Lol.

TipperMain

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn was "tested" at 6 months old - it was not an official HIC, but just an evaluation for weekly lessons. We ended up not returning to that trainer, but started weekly lessons with another trainer (who we're still with) last spring. We weren't sure what to expect as far as how she'd be on stock after having so much time to change and mature.

Here's the working evaluation from the ESC! Might be an interesting way to record his instincts. Some of these are more geared to experienced dogs, but some are appropriate for newbies too!
http://www.englishshepherd.org/uploads/1/1/9/6/11964226/workingeval_jan2007.pdf

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Here is Lark's first instinct test done at 10 months old with her breeder on her breeder's farm. Her breeder is a conformation and stockdog judge.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkvpBHmc_QE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I'm no help as I've never done it, but let us know how it goes if you're able to do it! I really want to get Talon instinct tested as he loves to "herd" everything, including cars and Art :rolleyes:

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
LAC, you're close! I'm in Kent, CT.

I've been trying to find someone to let me herd with Em, since she's been on stock before, but no such luck. :(

Here's the working evaluation from the ESC! Might be an interesting way to record his instincts. Some of these are more geared to experienced dogs, but some are appropriate for newbies too!
http://www.englishshepherd.org/uploads/1/1/9/6/11964226/workingeval_jan2007.pdf
Thanks!! Somewhere I have a website bookmarked that has a bunch of results of different ES dogs.

LAC, you're close! I'm in Kent, CT.

I've been trying to find someone to let me herd with Em, since she's been on stock before, but no such luck. :(
I don't know where Kent is, but I know where CT is.

Off to look up Kent, CT....Oh wow, only like 45 minutes. We should go on hikes together when the weather gets nice. Do you know of any good dog........things in the area? (Parks, training, shows, etc.)

Members online

No members online now.