How long does dog food last?

Saje

Island dweller
I'm thinking about buying a couple bags of Orijen or something. I'm pretty sure tha'ts the one I'm going to switch over to. But I'm wondering how long you should keep kibble around for? I know you shouldn't freeze it... And I think Orijen will last long because I'll probably feed less then with KS. I think.

Does anyone stock up?

Usually dog food stored in an air tight (or closed) container will keep for about 2 months. Just try to keep the container in an area that is not too warm, as it will cause the fats that have been sprayed on the kibble to go rancid. I would also try to buy a bag of food that has the longest amount of time until expiration (it will be listed on the bottom of the bag), so that the food is fresher when you purchase it.

Most dry foods have a shelf life of one year, while canned products are usually good for two years from the date of manufacture."And here’s something I found in a study prepared for the Grocery Manufacturers of America and the Food Marketing Institute that sheds a bit of light on "expiration dates" in general. It is important to note that, across the broad spectrum of consumer packaged goods categories, date coding practices are intended to ensure that products are safe to consume and meet quality control specifications of the manufacturer for some time beyond the actual expiration date. Clearly, this is very different from category to category. For example, refrigerated orange juice will deteriorate much faster after date of expiration than will shelf-stable dry dog food."

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
In an unopened bag, kibble lasts up to a year. It's only once you open it that it needs to be used up faster (within a month if you don't put it in an airtight container etc.)

Members online

No members online now.