Breed Name Slang

Pops2

too many names for central asian shepherd ..real names no nicknames:
CAO, CAS, aziat, alabai, kazakh, tobet,sarmat, ...it depends on the area and the country,
that's because they are different breeds, which are pretty consistant in appearance, personality and temperament within themselves but not between each other. it is only in the wewst that they are considered one breed.

BostonBanker

Ok I thought of another one, when people say "terrier mix" what freaking kind of terrier? APBT or Yorkshire Terrier? West highland White Terrier or Border Terrier, big group there people.
I definitely refer to Gusto as a BC/terrier mix most of the time. I am pretty sure he isn't Westie. Beyond that...anyone is welcome to guess.

I guess that is why it is easier to just tell people he is half BC/half alien.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Ok I thought of another one, when people say "terrier mix" what freaking kind of terrier? APBT or Yorkshire Terrier? West highland White Terrier or Border Terrier, big group there people.

I keep the generic "Terrier mix" for Ruby because I have no flipping idea what she is. I figure "terrier looking and acting" - high prey drive, lots of personality etc.
Going off of what her previous owner said, she's supposed to be a Poodle mix.
:dunno:

Miakoda

Pit/pits, pitty/pitties, pibbles......anything along those lines make me cringe inside and want to walk away and wash my ears out with bleach (or eyes, if I'm reading them).

Paige

Let it be
I really don't like it when someone calls Bandit a collie because well... like previously said a collie to me is a rough or smooth collie. Not a border collie.

Pits and pitty really annoy me.

Also now all the gangsters are flocking me when I walk Arya asking what she is and if I want to breed her when she's older to their pits. Probably why I find the term so annoying. No, I don't. Go away.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
So normal nicknames... are what they are, I guess. I mostly just have issues with people who can't say or write the kind of dog they have (Shiatsu, Lopso Apsa, Rockwilder).
Rockwilder and Lopso Apsy/a annoy the crap out of me. Mostly because 1) last dog was black and tan, usually misidentified (even when she was greying) as a Rottie puppy and people ALWAYS said it wrong and 2) my gma has Lapso (LHASA, spell check!! Jeez, even spell check gets it wrong!!) Apsos so it just annoys me.

Dotsun/Datsun annoys me so badly. Doxie is fine.

Pibble/Pittie/etc is so horrible. Pibbles don't dribble basketballs on courts, and there's nothing to pitty about the APBT. Red nose/blue nose is rediculous... What about the black nosed ones, huh?

I grew up using "heeler". Never heard ACD till I was on a dog forum. (Been in WI since I was 1yr)

Please, for the sake of the gods, no one say Dobie. It is either a Dobermann or Dobe.

I always say/spell Rottie because that is like the only breed who's full name I misspell, lol. I'm always putting extra letters in.

Lyzelle

I can't stand the term "Husky". There is so much confusion for me. Is it a Sibe? Is it a Mal? Is it an Alaskan? Is it a fluffy - what?!

Like, "I have a collie"? WHAT KIND.

Everything else I think I can deal with.

Skits

I always think when people say "collie" they mean a lassie-type collie. I never knew it was used for border collies and never think of a smooth collie.

And I think labs just look very different depending on their color. I like all three labs, but I might prefer brown labs over the other colors. I know it's the same breed but just look different for no reason. You can just get a clear image of a lab knowing it's color. Kind of with a cream or golden retriever..but I barely here people call them by color.

I hate pit/pitties/pitbulls but I'm guilty of using it. I'm not sure why I do and I do dislike saying it, but my boy is an APBT/Staff mix and it just seems easier saying pit. However, I did register him as a terrier with the city. :p I do really hate the red nose/blue nose bullcrap though. Ugh, stop!

Maxy24

I guess I need to stop saying Dobie lol. I always thought Dobe was pronounced Dobie because I can't imagine anyone understanding what I'm saying if I say dobe, for some reason I think it's a hard word to hear. Or they'll just think I said dope. I guess I'll be using the whole thing from now on.

I also use pit and pittie. Usually pit if I'm following it up with mix (he's a pit mix) and pittie if I'm talking directly to the dog- "awww you're a pretty pittie" or something along those lines. Mostly I just say pit bull. Pibbles sounds gross so I don't use that.

Pops2

I can't stand the term "Husky". There is so much confusion for me. Is it a Sibe? Is it a Mal? Is it an Alaskan? Is it a fluffy - what?!

Everything else I think I can deal with.
husky is more of a type like laika, cur or terrier. they just may not know or care beyond that level. so if they don't care, don't stress yourself over it.

Where I live they use husky because we have a high number of sled dog cast offs, and off spring so it's a catch all term really, because they type is really anyone's guess, it could be sibe, mal, Alaskan, Akita, really anything with a fluffy coat they will use. And northern spitz confuses people.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
Anybody else have nicknames for their breed that they hate?
"Hate" is too strong a term. And it's not slang, but the actual (English) name of the breed with which I've always had issues ...
the "Black Russian Terrier."

With at least 17 breeds used in its development, and only one being a terrier (the Airedale, which was one of the secondary breeds used), why they chose to call these guys "terriers" is beyond my understanding.

I actually prefer one of the alternate "slang" names; I think it's not only more descriptive, but more à propos ...
the "Russian Bear Schnauzer".

xpaeanx

um.... This one might be kind of hard bc Collie is actually the name of the breed. Rough & Smooth are variations within the Collie breed but they're both the same breed(Collies) and can be breed together(and often are).

Now a Border Collie IS a different breed. But it's still collie or border collie. Saying smooth or rough collie is kinda like saying black/yellow/chocolate lab... They're all the same breed.

Skits

Just read one now. Iggy. I couldn't for the life of me think what it was so I googled it and it's an italian greyhound.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Just read one now. Iggy. I couldn't for the life of me think what it was so I googled it and it's an italian greyhound.
That one I actually knew! Not sure why since I've never owned one, but I picked it up somewhere.

The more I read this thread, the more intense my dislike of the word "pibble" becomes. It just sounds gross lol.

joce

It's always heeler with the farmers and horse people. ACD with more just dog oriented people I guess?

Hate the word pibble. What's wrong with pittie?

I always say dobie. Guess I don't care if that bothers anyone though lol!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I say Dobie and Dobe.

I say Pittie and Pit (although Pit is typically followed by "mix").

I say Rottie.

I say Husky (in reference to a Siberian Husky, never any other breed.)

I say Lab.

I say Golden.

I say Chessie.

I say "IG".

I guess I don't understand why people take offense to Dobie, Pittie/Pit, or Rottie....it is the same to me as saying Lab/Golden (Pit) or Chessie (Dobie/Rottie). You shorten it to one/two syllables and ad an "ie" to the end to help it roll off the tounge. Don't know what the issue is?

Same with Husky. If I want to clarify that it is an Alaskan Husky, I say...Alaskan Husky. Kind of like I say Collie for a Rough/Smooth Collie, but when I want to say Border Collie I say....Border Collie.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I say Dobie and Dobe.

I say Pittie and Pit (although Pit is typically followed by "mix").

I say Rottie.

I say Husky (in reference to a Siberian Husky, never any other breed.)

I say Lab.

I say Golden.

I say Chessie.

I say "IG".

I guess I don't understand why people take offense to Dobie, Pittie/Pit, or Rottie....it is the same to me as saying Lab/Golden (Pit) or Chessie (Dobie/Rottie). You shorten it to one/two syllables and ad an "ie" to the end to help it roll off the tounge. Don't know what the issue is?

Same with Husky. If I want to clarify that it is an Alaskan Husky, I say...Alaskan Husky. Kind of like I say Collie for a Rough/Smooth Collie, but when I want to say Border Collie I say....Border Collie.
Yup.

Except I say iggy, not IG.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I guess "Dobie" is too cutesy for a lot of people, me included. You don't see people calling GSDs "Sheppies" or Malinois "Mallies" .... cutesy doesn't fit some breeds, IMO.

ETA: If we're adding 'ie' to make breed names easier to roll off the tongue, why aren't Chows called Chowies, Great Danes aren't called Danies, Pugs aren't called Puggies?

I don't know. As I said, it's a peeve of mine. ;)

Members online

No members online now.