Weird quirks?

Cidney

I have a senior Yorkie, 11 1/2 and it seems the older he gets he has developed a neurotic reaction to certain noices. If he hears anything beep like the microwave, or a beeper sound, low battery beep on my phone or the fire alarm, even my husbands cell phone ring (he has changed the ring sytle 3 times to find something that wont bother Cidney) he becomes quite anxious and wants me to pick him up and hold him. Sometimes if a beep sound occurs on TV that sets him off. I dont know what has started this and I feel so bad for him because I think he is experiencing fear and I do everything I can to prevent this from happening. Maybe this isnt exactly a "quirk" and I should consult with a vet????

Does any of your dogs have a strange thing about them you dont understand?

Debi

aawwwww, your little guy is just getting older so he is just a bit more nervous. (I think that happens to me, too..lol) Strange thing at my house??......OMG, the UPS truck.........MAJOR craziness happens here. I haven't a clue...maybe it was because the UPS driver gave them biscuits..maybe they don't like the truck sound..maybe cause it's the only person that comes...but strange...WOW...CRAZY is more like it! It's gotten to the point that I cannot stand the UPS truck coming. Nervous.....wild......crazy......strange...that's the behavior I get from both dogs.

Back to your little yorkie....he is just an older guy that doesn't like strange sounds. It really does have so much to do with his age. Just try not to expose him to too many loud sounds that may scare him. I had a Cairn terrior that would become frightened when he was older (16) because he wasn't in good health. He didn't feel strong, and your little yorkie may not either...that's scarey to them, I think.

Cidney

my old guy is still jut a puppy to me, he still has that puppy look and I am afreaid he is loosing his site too ;<

I had another Yorkie who wigged at the sound of toe nail clippers and Scooter my 5 year old freaks when you make a buzzing sound like a bumble bee. My husband will play with him and take the remote control and touch Scooter with it and make the buzz sound - oh my gosh, Scooter will jump like you actually buzzed him.

I think Debi's right, and if his sight is declining that would make him more fearful.

Try to keep some treats around so that when he gets frightened by the noise you can immediately hold him and give him something he really likes. Hopefully that will begin to get him to associate the noises with something good happening and he'll become less fearful of those sounds.

Members online

No members online now.