Would you spend $1000 a night to stay here?

Would you spend $1000 a night to stay here?

• Yes, of course! I wouldn't visit unless I could stay there

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I would- it's worth it to be that close

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes- other

• No way! Even the classiest hotel in the world isn't worth $1000/night

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • No way! That hotel isn't special enough to be worth $1000/night

• No- I'd rather take the bus ride and stay somewhere cheaper and/or nicer in town

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • No- other

• Maybe- I could see myself splurging on it

• Alpaca and Cuy meat

• Total voters

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Okay, for the most part, lodging in Peru is inexpensive. Other than a couple of "splurges", we were able to book each hotel/B&B for under $100 each night.

Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) is a bit different. We're spending a night there before going to Machu Picchu, which is a 30 minute bus ride.

The hotels are pretty overpriced in Aguas Calientes- the whole town survives only on tourism. The hotels (in 'tourist season') range in price from about $50 to about $600.

The $600 ones are supposedly really nice. Our hotel is somewhere in between.

Anyway, there's a hotel a mile from Machu Picchu- it's the only hotel where you don't have to take the bus. The rooms aren't anything special- it's the location. You can't see Machu Picchu from the rooms, but you get to avoid the bus.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...hu_Picchu_Sacred_Valley_Cusco_Re.html#REVIEWS

The rooms start at $1000 a NIGHT.

So, if you were planning on a visit to Machu Picchu, would you spend $1000 to stay there? Keep in mind that you can stay in Aguas Calientes in a nicer, higher class hotel for one third to half that price.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I wouldn't even spend a $1000 to stay in Cinderellas castle for one night lol

Not a chance. I could extend my vacation by almost a whole week for that much lol One night is so not worth it. I don't care if they put gold coins on the pillows and the toilet powders my butt after I'm done. NO WAY would I pay $1000 for one night lol

Not a chance. If I was going to do it again, i'd do the hike. We were there hours before any large groups that could take buses and watching the fog lift and sun come up was worth it to me.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My answer- I couldn't imagine ever spending that on one night in a hotel room.

I'm kind of amazed that they're actually booked solid for the week we're going.

We rented a house on the Pacific Ocean with a pool in Nicaragua for that amount for an entire WEEK.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I wouldn't even spend a $1000 to stay in Cinderellas castle for one night lol

Not a chance. I could extend my vacation by almost a whole week for that much lol One night is so not worth it. I don't care if they put gold coins on the pillows and the toilet powders my butt after I'm done. NO WAY would I pay $1000 for one night lol
Best answer ever LMAO

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Although the hotel looks swanky, I don't think I could look myself in the mirror if I dropped that much cash on one night in a hotel, no matter how nice it is.

Though the suggestion of hiking or something like that there sounds like it would be a better experience

Michiyo-Fir

Depends on how much money I have I guess.. If i was a millionaire, sure why not. 1000 a night probably doesn't mean much in that regard.

In terms of hotel pricing, In New York City and London, England, I know many hotel charge upwards of $10 000 a night. And the rooms are always booked, you have to book months ahead of time.

So it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have and what kind of experience you want to have I suppose.

Personally, for me, at this point, I can't afford $1000 a night. But if I were wealthy, I probably would.

Picklepaige

Nope. The most we've paid is $550 a night, which was at the Atlantis Hotel (a very,very, VERY nice hotel) in the Bahamas.

milos_mommy

Not a chance.

I might spend $1000 for the night on a hotel room if it was one of those underwater hotel domes where I could watch the fish all night. Or if it was on the moon.

Maybeeee maybeee if I HAD the money, I'd spend it on a hotel room IF it came with...IDK, a swanky dinner and champagne and a hot tub on the deck overlooking the ocean and private beach access or something.

Depends on how much money I have I guess.. If i was a millionaire, sure why not. 1000 a night probably doesn't mean much in that regard.

In terms of hotel pricing, In New York City and London, England, I know many hotel charge upwards of $10 000 a night. And the rooms are always booked, you have to book months ahead of time.

So it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have and what kind of experience you want to have I suppose.

Personally, for me, at this point, I can't afford $1000 a night. But if I were wealthy, I probably would.
It's not about the money, it's all about perceived value. For a thousand bucks I could do that hike a few times, have a great time with the guides and friends, see some absolutely breathtaking scenery for a few days, get a nice walk in, create memories and tip the guides enough for a few months pay for them and still have money left over.

Whether I was dirt poor or was Bill Gates, I'd still be doing the hike. I don't even remember a hotel being at Machu Picchu. Probably was, but certainly wasn't anything to remember.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to drop 10K on a room in a major city and live like a King for a night once and while, but Machu Picchu isn't about that experience. At least for me it wasn't. Plenty of other places in the world for that type of experience in my opinion.

For the money, I think there is a 2 day hike, which was basically a bus to the base, a short walk up to a "hotel" and you can walk in with the rest of the hikers in the morning, long before those entering thru the gates of Machu Picchu get to go in. So if it's about location and getting there earlier, at least do that one. We were up and packed up by 3:30 am and racing to the sungate where we were greated by a thick fog to see the sun rise :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The thing is, this isn't a swanky hotel. The room for $1000 is a basic room without a view, balcony, or terrace.

The options for Machu Picchu are:

a. Hike up
b. Stay in Aguas Calientes and take the bus up (which leaves as early as 5am, I believe- it's when we're going)
c. Take the train from a surrounding town
d. Stay at the Machu Picchu hotel for the ability to walk over.

If it were a ritzy, swanky, or insanely unique hotel (underwater, made of ice, etc), I could understand spending $1000 or more.

However, it's a basic hotel where the rooms look like this:

The super amazing looking Ice Hotel is $800 a night, and I would totally do it.

http://book.icehotel.com/en/accommo...rch=s=20130221;e=20130224;p=2;cbispids=394994

Michiyo-Fir

It's not about the money, it's all about perceived value. For a thousand bucks I could do that hike a few times, have a great time with the guides and friends, see some absolutely breathtaking scenery for a few days, get a nice walk in, create memories and tip the guides enough for a few months pay for them and still have money left over.

Whether I was dirt poor or was Bill Gates, I'd still be doing the hike. I don't even remember a hotel being at Machu Picchu. Probably was, but certainly wasn't anything to remember.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to drop 10K on a room in a major city and live like a King for a night once and while, but Machu Picchu isn't about that experience. At least for me it wasn't. Plenty of other places in the world for that type of experience in my opinion.

For the money, I think there is a 2 day hike, which was basically a bus to the base, a short walk up to a "hotel" and you can walk in with the rest of the hikers in the morning, long before those entering thru the gates of Machu Picchu get to go in. So if it's about location and getting there earlier, at least do that one. We were up and packed up by 3:30 am and racing to the sungate where we were greated by a thick fog to see the sun rise :)
What I'm trying to say is that if I were wealthy, the perceived value would be different because $1000 may seem a lot now. But if the money was there, because 1000 may seem like 10 dollars to me now, I would think it would be worth it to stay closer for a little bit more money. Therefore, it may seem to be worth the value.

I don't think i'm conveying myself correctly. The room could be 10 bucks, I still wouldn't take it. Machu Picchu was an experience, I'd take the trail, the camping, the everything it took to get there was worth 1000x's what that hotel room could offer me.

So if I was poor or Bill Gates, or if the room was 10 bucks or a thousand, I still wouldn't choose that route.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Would I spend $1000/night on a hotel room? Of course.
Depends on how much money I have and the hotel itself but it isn't a "NO WAY!" thing. I certainly would depending on the place/hotel :) I love big suits, I love villas and when I travel, I like to do it well..and if I had the funds, I wouldn't feel bad about it.

But that hotel? Nope. I don't have that much of an interest in the area and the hotel doesn't do it for me enough personally.

Toller_08

No. I save most of the year to be able to go on just a trip. Nevermind trying to come up with extra to stay in one specific hotel for that kind of money when there are other perfectly good and less expensive hotels around. Maybe if I was rich I might, but even then... I'm only in a hotel for sleeping and nothing else. Not worth $1000 per night for me.

Depends. If I had money to burn sure. But I don't so no lol

Nope. The most we've paid is $550 a night, which was at the Atlantis Hotel (a very,very, VERY nice hotel) in the Bahamas.
I was just in Bahamas a few days ago stayed in the riu but holy crap Atlantis is crazy. And still being b uilt

Members online