is breeding right or wrong?

Maxy24

I think it's worth it for them to simply spend some money and health test. They can still breed for function, but health too. I mean I understand the dog has to be healthy to do the job but some of the problems that are being tested for don't crop up for a while so if you breed the 2 year old dog and she starts showing signs of hip dysplasia at 3 it really stinks for the pups born before they knew she'd get the disease (and their new owners).

I do feel that with working dogs form usually follows function. if the dog excels at the work he was bred to do he usually has the proper temperament and conformation but health is not something to fool around with especially since many conditions don't show obvious signs until the dog is a bit older.

Dani

Ninja Dog
For those who say its (just plain) wrong... are you in line with Peta's "there should be no pets" philosophy?

Cause if no one bred, there would be no dogs period.

(well maybe feral dogs...)
Yes, of course there should be no pets. I plan on releasing Bear this weekend. Don't worry, I have prepared her well. It took me a while to get her ready though, since she came to us "domesticated". But through diligent work, including running around in the forest with her while screaming "She is Bear of the Jungle! Accept she now!", I have confidence that she will flourish. She will thrive on a steady diet of wildberries, fish, and indigenous peanut butter.

Dani

Ninja Dog
Lol sorry. I wasn't being serious in my first post (and obviously my second post). Breeding isn't wrong unless the dogs are kept in cruel conditions, or if you knowingly breed a dog with a serious health condition.

I apologize to the OP for my nonsense posts.

Dekka

Just try me..
Lol sorry. I wasn't being serious in my first post (and obviously my second post). Breeding isn't wrong unless the dogs are kept in cruel conditions, or if you knowingly breed a dog with a serious health condition.

I apologize to the OP for my nonsense posts.
na don't apologize. Just make sure your sarcasm is clearer. Many of us love and practice the fine art of sarcasm here.

Paige

Let it be
Personally, yes I do find breeding wrong. Why? There are enough good pets in a shelter and dogs who will fit working homes of all sorts in there too. Now I won't go as far as saying that we should grab the torch and pitch fork and take them breeders down. I simply wish that even ethical breeders who do all the right would breed a little less. I know not all are having pups left right and center (this wouldn't make them ethical in my books anyways). If you can offer what a shelter animal can't I'd love to see the day. One of our local border collie rescues is booming with dogs eager to work.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
I really think it depends on who is doing it and what your personal opinion of responsable breeding is. But my answer...is yes - given the right person, work, and circumstances.

~Cate

mrose_s

BusterLove
Yes, of course there should be no pets. I plan on releasing Bear this weekend. Don't worry, I have prepared her well. It took me a while to get her ready though, since she came to us "domesticated". But through diligent work, including running around in the forest with her while screaming "She is Bear of the Jungle! Accept she now!", I have confidence that she will flourish. She will thrive on a steady diet of wildberries, fish, and indigenous peanut butter.

I've been meaning to start Buster's training this year. I have so far only kicked him out into the backyard though and proceeded the screaming routine from there. I do hope he includes loose road gravel in his diet, among other delicacies such as cane toads and his own tail fur (when he isn't using it for nesting)

Dekka

Just try me..
Personally, yes I do find breeding wrong. Why? There are enough good pets in a shelter and dogs who will fit working homes of all sorts in there too. Now I won't go as far as saying that we should grab the torch and pitch fork and take them breeders down. I simply wish that even ethical breeders who do all the right would breed a little less. I know not all are having pups left right and center (this wouldn't make them ethical in my books anyways). If you can offer what a shelter animal can't I'd love to see the day. One of our local border collie rescues is booming with dogs eager to work.
Ahh but here is the rub, if all breeding stopped even for 1 generation... what would you start breeding back up again with? Rescues are populated with unethically bred dogs (or they wouldn't be there) so in a sense you are supporting bad breeders. (they still sold their pups...)

As a side note- I breed. I have had 2 litters in the last 4 years as I do agree that there are great dogs in rescue (I foster for the JRT rescue, and its always overflowing with dogs) But most dogs in rescue are not nearly the same caliber as the 'properly' bred ones. In athleticism, conformation, and often in temperament.

noludoru

Bored Now.
For those who say its (just plain) wrong... are you in line with Peta's "there should be no pets" philosophy?
YES! See my post below. I not only believe that there should be no pets, but that owning them is evil, and those who defile PeTA should be force-fed brussel sprouts for the rest of their lives. See my post below:

NOOOOOOOOOO! DON'T HURT MY BELOVED PeTA SIGNS!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, and owning dogs is evil, too.
:hail::hail: You are an example of a good dog guardian. I bow down before you.

na don't apologize. Just make sure your sarcasm is clearer. Many of us love and practice the fine art of sarcasm here.
The sarcasm was killing me, Dekka... Come on.. please don't tell me you actually missed indigenous peanut butter? ROFL

Dekka

Just try me..
haha no her first post...

I love idigenous peanut butter, but unfortunately for my dogs it does not grow in my area.

Dani

Ninja Dog
I understand the confusion: for future reference, if I say "yo" in my post, I am not to be taken seriously lol. And if my posts seem rather strange and over-the-top these days and for the coming days, it's because it's the last week of high school ever for me, and I'm rather giddy.

I bid you all wildicating your dogs good luck.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Uncle Fred is all for the feral dog thing. He firmly believes he can catch wild game. He likes his meat grilled medium rare, if possible, and wants to know how to light a match without opposable thumbs. Also, if any other chaz dogs have a recipe for a good dry rub....

Paige

Let it be
Ahh but here is the rub, if all breeding stopped even for 1 generation... what would you start breeding back up again with? Rescues are populated with unethically bred dogs (or they wouldn't be there) so in a sense you are supporting bad breeders. (they still sold their pups...)

As a side note- I breed. I have had 2 litters in the last 4 years as I do agree that there are great dogs in rescue (I foster for the JRT rescue, and its always overflowing with dogs) But most dogs in rescue are not nearly the same caliber as the 'properly' bred ones. In athleticism, conformation, and often in temperament.
I totally see where you are coming from and that's why my theory is flawed. I will be the first to admit there are holes in my logic but when it comes to breeding animals in an already overpopulated world I think more with my heart than my head.

Toller_08

No, I don't feel breeding is wrong at all as long as it's done ethically and not too often. Most of my dogs will come from breeders, though I admit, only because of poor experiences in the past with irresponsibly bred dogs as well as adopted dogs (three dogs that died before or at 5yrs old, two with serious health issues their entire lives, and another couple with terrible temperaments - one environmentally caused, the other was born that way). That's not to say that I'm not for adopting, in fact, I'm sure I'll adopt more dogs at some point and highly encourage others to do so... but for the time being, I'll stick with reputable breeders for future dogs.

Paige

Let it be
I'd love to go to a breeder to get a dog but I'm a sucker for a dog in need and let's face it. There is no shortage of those.

Members online

No members online now.