Anti Depressants.... Sleeping Pills.. Anyone been on them?

LauraLeigh

Without going into much, I was just off work for a month, I have been prescribed Paxil, 20mg, as well as lorazepam for "instant" use and trazodone 50mg for sleeping when needed...

The Internet is terrifying me, the opinions and sites range from that I'll end up jumping off a bridge, to a mindless zombie to I'll be fine...

I really can't and don't want to get into the details but if anyone's willing to share their experiences that'd be huge...

For someone whose never taken any kind of regular prescription medications this is a bit overwhelming...

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Stop reading the Internet. ;) You'll be fine.

Paxil worked really well for me when I was on it. Be aware that it doesn't work to it's full effect for up to four weeks. In those four weeks you may feel tingles or tiny "zaps" in your fingers sometimes, that's normal.

Lorazepam worked a little too well for me, knocked me clear out. :p But my anxiety was always the worst right before bed so it did wonders.

My mother was almost human when she was on Paxil.

Then she quit taking it because she "wasn't getting upset enough and everyone was getting out of control."

Everyone has different reactions to drugs. Just be aware of the possibilities and pay attention to how YOU feel :)

Barbara!

I was on Paxil. It worked well for me. Don't panic. Internet medical advice sucks.

LauraLeigh

Thanks Allie, I know in my heart of hearts I should not overload myself reading online and trust my Dr, but some of these sites.. Wow....

Renee, my coping skills have gone to pot... I've been snapping easily and taking things out on those I am close too.... I have been on them a month and feel sooo much better, I just have heard so many negatives I started to worry (Ironic eh?)

Thanks Barbara, good to hear others have had good results!

You should trust your doctor.

If -- IF your doctor has proven to be trustworthy!

(((((((HUGS))))))) Just keep moving with the stream. Paddle when you can see where you're going.

LauraLeigh

You should trust your doctor.

If -- IF your doctor has proven to be trustworthy!

(((((((HUGS))))))) Just keep moving with the stream. Paddle when you can see where you're going.
He's never steered me wrong, and was amazing when work was trying to pressure me back early, he was flat out pissed and refused to release me back to work... In the end he was right, I am glad to be back now, but the time to let the pills kick in and recoup were just what I needed...

joce

Internet is bad.

Can you get a counselor to? Helps a lot.

People get so worked up about meds but if your dr said your hearts bad, take these pills, you would.

Sometimes you do need to play around with the meds and find the right combo or dose but this is a common one.

Some people will have reactions to everything(real or perceived)- don't listen. You are different and need to try it for you!

Last edited:

LauraLeigh

I have been referred, but so far have not been able to make myself go..... I am not good at talking with people I don't know face to face.... I really should give it a try, but struggle with the idea...

I feel so much better now, it's like I've been trying to be strong, and bury my own emotions for so long, now I feel like I can focus on the important things and let the small crap fall aside, where before every little issue was starting to make me snap....

Siren has been amazing therapy in her own way, she's so in tune to me, and seems to know which behavior to offer, and when....

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I took Lorazepam for a little while. I slept beautifully on it, lol. I take Citalopram now for anxiety, and while I was initially freaking out like you are about being on medication, I feel fine. I don't feel like a zombie and I don't feel anxious. Works for me.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
I have been referred, but so far have not been able to make myself go..... I am not good at talking with people I don't know face to face.... I really should give it a try, but struggle with the idea...

I feel so much better now, it's like I've been trying to be strong, and bury my own emotions for so long, now I feel like I can focus on the important things and let the small crap fall aside, where before every little issue was starting to make me snap....

Siren has been amazing therapy in her own way, she's so in tune to me, and seems to know which behavior to offer, and when....
Finding a therapist can be difficult. I know it took me 3 therapists I felt was a right fit. I needed someone I'd be comfortable talking with and it was hard even when I did find the right one, but she was patient and let me adjust until I was comfortable. I interviewed my therapists and I think that is something everyone should do because nothing is worse than going to therapy and finding out they have some radical or conservative views on situations that you're comfortable/acccepting of. So if you're gay, into bdsm, pro-choice and those topics may come up during a session, you want to make sure there will be no disapproval. While they may never say anything, sometimes it can feel like they disapprove. So knowing their stance on it helps you feel more comfortable revealing such things.

I'm on Zoloft and it's working well for me. :) I've been on Prozac before, too, but didn't like it much. I also take Melatonin every evening, as directed by my doctor, since I have a lot of trouble falling asleep.

I've been on Propofol (sp?), lorazepam, quetiapine, paxil, prozac, valium, ambien...

I liked Propofol because it knocked me out lol - quetiapine sucked. The others didn't do much harm or good for me.

I would say seek a therapist/some counseling as well. Hope it helps you - drugs aren't the answer...(IMO - at least for me)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Medications can be part of the answer for a lot of people. My sister is on melatonin and then anti-anxiety medication. I am not sure which one, they've had to tweak it a little bit. It's helped ENORMOUSLY.

I was on Prozac for a while but hated the way it made me feel. So I quit it and never tried anything else.

Everyone is an individual.

That's why I slipped in that (IMO - at least for me) bit. It all depends on the individual.

Melatonin...unless I took like 5 at a time (of the really small tablets) it didn't have any effect on me.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My friends have gone through a lot of this sort of thing. Several of them needed to try out a variety of medications before they found one that really worked well and didn't bother them with side effects.

One tried to kill herself a week after starting prozac. She did better on a different one.

Many people that go on antidepressant/antianxiety meds don't need to stay on them forever. It really depends on what the matter is. If your brain doesn't produce the right balance of chemicals, that's one thing. If your brain doesn't have enough of the right type of receptors, that's another. Some drugs can help while you train your brain to grow more of the needed receptors, or balance other brain chemicals, etc. and you can eventually wean off of it. Especially if you're doing other treatments at the same time, like therapy.

Think of it like giving a dog with severe anxiety something to bring them down off the edge, while you're doing calming exercises and (if it's got a specific trigger) desensitizing them and making new associations. Eventually they'll get better. They may or may not need the med forever, but it's one part of a treatment plan.

Members online

No members online now.